Writer/Editor looking for experience in gaming

Discussion in 'Other Services' started by JohnF, Jun 20, 2016.

1. JohnF

JohnF New Member

Hello, everyone! My name is John, and I'm here to volunteer my services. I'm a writer and an editor with an English degree, and I've been playing video games since I was old enough to comprehend them. I have been employed full-time as the Editor in Chief of an online IT publication for 2 years this month, and I maintain a personal website where I write (1) video game analysis, (2) weirdo philosophy stuff, and (3) short stories. I also self-published a humor/adventure novel a few years back, and I've been working on a new novel for the past couple years. I have experience writing comics scripts of numerous genres too, with one finished comic available for viewing online.

My work is all clearly labeled (resume, short stories, comic scripts, etc.) and may be viewed at my website*: http://johnfriscia.com/

*I would just like to offer the disclaimer that truthfully none of the fiction writing on the site is an accurate reflection of my current skill level; I like to think my work has dramatically improved from those pieces, and I am willing to write new samples to illustrate this if necessary.

Why I'm Really Here
    I'm here because one of my greatest ambitions in life is to write story and dialogue for video games, especially grandiose JRPG-esque games! But to accomplish that, I need to build my resume. As such, I am looking to volunteer my writing and editing skills to a worthwhile game project like yours! I just need two things in order to be happy:
    • A serious project that will actually get finished, so that I can add it confidently to my resume
    • My name in the credits, to make it nice and legit
    Of course, just as I expect you to respect my time and energy, I too must respect yours. So if your project doesn't align with my interests and I know I won't be willing to give 100% on it, I will respectfully decline for both of our sakes.

If you'd like to contact me, doing so right here in this thread is fine, or if you have a hefty idea to drop on me right away, you can email me here: thejohnfriscia@gmail.com

Thanks so much everyone!

2. JohnF

JohnF New Member

A couple more selling points I could stand to mention about myself...
    • I have a pretty strong--but completely theoretical--knowledge of project management, agile, etc. I write about it frequently due to the nature of my day job, but I have never actually been involved on a formal project or been a project manager. What I do have is a basic understanding of gathering requirements, designing a project plan, delegating tasks, managing stakeholder expectations, managing change, building in iterations, etc.
    • I have basic graphic design skill with Photoshop, along with a pretty solid understanding of text spacing and spacial relationships. I don't want to be your graphic designer, but in a situation where text has to go in a specific place and look a certain way, perhaps I can help!
    Furthermore, even if your game is already nearing the end of its development and doesn't need a writer, I could still proofread the text for you. Everybody hates to discover typos after the project has already been put to bed!

I hope to keep hearing from you guys. Thanks!