Would an American buy a game with 'Mono' in the title?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Talisman, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Talisman

Original Member

Hi,

I made a game called Space Octopus Mono.

To me 'mono' suggests a single channel of sound or the Mono open source software platform or monotony or even 'monochromatic'. But in America, mono is an embarrassing disease.

So, dear Americans, would you feel awkward or embarrassed buying and talking about a game titled 'Space Octopus Mono'? Have I inadvertently picked a name as bad as 'Space Octopus Aids'?

2. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

As an english person, I interpret the title to mean "one space octopus", which presumably we are role-playing, in a 3D space environment, as some kind of biological space craft.

I was expecting to see some funny names, like "tentacular shields" and "space suckers", and some sort of weapon based on octopus ink. I was brainstorming corrosive inks, or lasers perhaps (ink = dye = dye laser).

So I go to your website, and see the game is quite different from what I imagined! :lol:

3. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I think in any context the word Mono only detracts from the title Space Octopus. Could you just go with Space Octopus? If not, could you give us more context on what the game is about and maybe we can help add some another prefix/suffix to the title?

4. andrew

andrew New Member

Doesn't bother me, mono is a pretty rare disease these days, however I agree that you should just go with "Space Octopus" (although looking at the game, where are the octopi?)

- andrew

5. rioka

rioka New Member

It's better to err on the side of caution if you're going to have part of a name that equates to a disease and not make it part of the title.

Re octopi>>
    Maybe they're the enemies on the upper part of the screen?

6. papillon

Indie Author

Space Octopus Mono will endlessly remind me of the disease now that it's been brought up. :) (I am American originally.) Mono Space Octopus wouldn't, though.

I'm not sure how common the embarassment association with mono is anymore though. I know academically it has a reputation as the 'kissing disease' but I've never heard anyone say that, the only person I ever knew who had it was in second grade, so very young, and was VERY sick, so to me personally it pings as a serious ailment, not something embarassing. But then, Space Octopus Tuberculosis doesn't make much sense either!

7. Vino

Vino New Member

The American in me interprets the name as "Space Octopus One" but the Spanish speaker in me interprets the name as "Space Octopus Monkey" which I think is not what you were originally worried about but perhaps is equally worth considering.

8. king_flux

king_flux New Member

i like it. it is quirky... as if it is being translated...

9. barrygamer

Original Member

yeah, it is quirky, might as well keep it now! Something equally weird about "Space Octopus Monkey"... the mind boggles.
    The name also reminded me of Super Mega Worm, that name really rolls off the tongue.

On the subject of names, when you see things like "Metroid: Other M" you wonder if some are just badly translated.

10. vjvj

Indie Author

I think it's fine. Most conversation about your game will take place in the context of your game, so this kind of literal deconstruction rarely happens.

When I say 'Starcraft is made by Blizzard', do you think of snow storms?

To answer your question though, I'm American and I don't encounter much colloquial usage of the word 'mono'. I think your game title is cool :)

11. Sillysoft

Indie Author

It doesn't make me think of the disease automatically. But I agree with what others said: having Mono in the title doesn't make it better. Space Octopus sounds pretty cool by itself. If you're adding more, I would go with words that are clearly awesome. Super Space Octopus or Space Octopus Supreme (SOS!) or something.

12. ChrisP

Indie Author

Aussie here, so I can't speak to the association with disease, but honestly I like your existing title. "Space Octopus Mono" is quirkily compelling. Keep it!

I disagree with the recommendation to drop the Mono, that's just boring and makes it sound like a Space Giraffe ripoff. :p

13. dannthr

dannthr New Member

To be honest, I'm much more likely to play a game called "Space Octopus Aids" than "Space Octopus Mono."

Well, at least I'm more likely to take a second look.

Isn't it also Monkey in spanish?

14. Artinum

Original Member

I'm in agreement with the majority here - ditch Mono, not because of any associations but because it doesn't really do anything for your title.

The first association that popped into my head, by the way, was a monorail train.

15. Talisman

Original Member

Thank you all for your replies so far.

Some more information for the curious: Space Octopus Mono is a game for Windows Phone 7. The Windows Phone has launched in a few countries and is about to launch in the US. I wanted to know whether to do a last-minute title change before the US launch.

Based on what everyone has said, the mono-disease association is not strong, so I'm not going to rush through a last minute title change.

However a lot of you pointed out that the title is not particularly good so I will look at alternative titles for an update later on.

The game is not a serious commercial project, my goal was just to learn the platform and sell one copy (for the October Challenge). But if it looks like the game can sell, I will redo the graphics and title with a more commercial attitude.

(There are no octopuses in the game. The title is basically random, although I would like the player to imagine that there is some gigantic space octopus antagonist somewhere off-screen. 'Mono' is because the game is all in shades of grey. If I re-do the art I will probably not keep it all in shades of grey.)

#15 Talisman, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  16. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

I have a excellent idea...

What if the aim of the game is to collect coloured octopus ink? The colour you collect in one stage is added to the graphics in subsequent stages of the game.

Player slowly takes the game from mono to coloured.

#16 Jasmine, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  17. vjvj

Indie Author

I agree, I like the Mono and think you should keep it. I don't like functional/descriptive names, and prefer them to be a little nonsensical. What is a Metal Gear Solid, anyway? :)

18. Talisman

Original Member

nice idea!

I originally wanted to have different art styles that were unlocked as the player progressed, but I didn't come up with a way to link them together or make it make sense. Collecting inks would make sense.

19. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

And there would have to be eight different colours ~ one for each tentacle. :D

cyan - red - yellow - purple - green - orange - blue - fuchsia.

#19 Jasmine, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  20. AnthemAudio

Original Member

Made my wife laugh, she said it sounds ok because the octopus probably has mono and not her.

I actually didn't think of mono "the disease" but the audio property of mono = one channel. How about

Space Monopus Octo
    Space Octopus Monacle
    Space Monacle Octo
    Space Tentacle Monaco
    Space Monaco (Steal it before Andy Schatz does!)
    Mono Space Octo
    Space Octopus Stereo
    Stereo Octopus

Lots of ways you can shuffle that around if you really wanted.