Would a game spread if it lasts only 5 minutes but is one of the most fun?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Ben.F.Rayfield, May 5, 2015.

1. Ben.F.Rayfield

Ben.F.Rayfield New Member

Most games are designed to last for days of playing. This comes at the cost of cant spend as much time making each part the most fun possible.

What if we designed toward a different goal: Give players the most fun 5 minutes of their gaming life.

Arcade games used to be partially that way, trying to pack the most fun in a short time. Some of them are still played. When consoles and computer games took over, something good in that was forgotten. It wasnt the bad graphics. It was the fun of each being a new and well tuned gameplay. The game designers knew to get your quarters they had to keep you interested from one minute to the next. There was no such thing as a dull minute moving from one part of the game to another as if you were confused where to go or why.

This isnt about arcade games, but its one example where they tried.

What would happen if we put the effort of a whole game into just the first 5 minutes of that game, including a good ending? Would players tell their friends how awesome a game it is, and it spreads quickly? Would many millions of people play it and be left wanting more from you, helping to fund your next great 5 minute game?

I see it as a greater thing to do, to give players the most fun 5 minutes of their gaming life, than to give them days of lesser fun. What if we took quality over quantity seriously?

Maybe its easy to take whats in that 5 minutes and make small variations of it, to drag it out, but is that as good as making the 6th minute equally great?

2. Michael Flad

Indie Author

Flappy Bird - well, that was more like 5 seconds :)

Just have a look at the mobile Appstore of your choice and you'll finde plenty of those games.

3. DanglinBob

DanglinBob New Member

The problem isn't making a game that lasts 5 minutes, the problem is making it... make money :) Or find fame. Flappy Bird being such a rare exception and a giant ? mark (Welcome to the age of youtube casters) as to WHY it found fame (PewdiePie was apparently all it took)... I dunno. Basically I believe that the idea that games can be judged in value per hour of play is inherantly false, but creating a memorable and impactful (and paid for) experience in 5 minutes may require that "value" side to be impossibly high to be taken seriously.

I'll be interested to see if you can come up with something though! I like the concept of a true bite size game! (This is not inclusive of some parody games I can think of that play themselves...)

4. Sim

Sim New Member

I play Super Battle Racers every day for a few hrs. Each "game"/race only last 1 1/2minutes.. ;/

5. Muulk

Muulk New Member

I think this only works if the game has replayablity with some kind of score to beat, otherwise after an initial hype it would quickly fade into obscurity.

6. The_Saddest_Walrus

The_Saddest_Walrus New Member

I agree with Muulk on this one.

Off the top of my head, I can think of three scenarios that make me play a short game again:

Trying to beat myself: not a video game, but I played hundreds of games of bullseye-ball as a kid trying to beat my score.

Trying to beat other people: achievable high scores, particularly against friends

I might find it pretty cool to play a story exploration or mystery game where only 5 minutes are playable until you find something or explore the right place. If you failed it would go black and return you to the start. Although this type of game would not truly only be 5 minutes, it's the only sort of story-esque game I can think of that would incentivize me to feverishly replay a 5 minute game period without some sort of competition.

Even most of the old arcade games I can think of took way longer than 5 minutes to win. Sure if you lost in Galaxian or pac-man after a few rounds it was five minutes, but if you played well you were fighting to continue forwards.

7. Ben.F.Rayfield

Ben.F.Rayfield New Member

The idea is quality over quantity. Since theres so many games out there already, quantity isnt an issue. They can just pick up the next game over and over, as long as they play right away. I'm looking to get many millions of people playing anything I've built, to spread from just a few playing to global in a single day as people tell eachother about the amazing 5 minutes it gave them. Download this you wont believe it. Who cares if its short. You've got to try it. Then when I can do that, maybe go for something longer. How many people can say they've even got that far?

I'm working on a new kind of game object http://forums.indiegamer.com/showth...altime-reshapable-blobs-with-pluggable-brains

#7 Ben.F.Rayfield, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015