windowed or fullscreen for casual games?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by sonepoxy2015, Jun 20, 2015.

1. sonepoxy2015

sonepoxy2015 New Member

I prefer windowed modes in all games i play.

Mostly because I like to have a media player running to listen to the radio, and a chat client running. When I get a PM I pause the game and answer. This is a *casual* game after all .

My game is capable of supporting both fullscreen and windowed play, but which should be the default?

Most casual gamers wont bother going to the options menu to change it. So it important to get it right.

What do you think? Windowed or fullscreen?

cong ty tim nguoi giup viec uy tin | dich vu tim nguoi giup viec nha gioi

#1 sonepoxy2015, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  2. Codex_Steven

Codex_Steven New Member

Honestly, I alt-enter a lot (Windows...I know most people hate it, I don't.)

I have multiple monitors, so Borderless Windowed is usually my style.

For some reason that I can't explain, I get slightly irritated when a game starts in Windowed mode. I think it's because I find the rest of the stuff in the background around the edges distracting?

3. GaiaDreamCreation

Indie Author

By default, most games start in full screen mode. I exclude casual games run in browsers. If you have a First Person Shooter, players will expect full screen. The Unity launch dialog offers both Windowed and Full Screen before playing the game. It's sure a great idea to support both. Personally, I prefer full screen for immersion.

4. kaufenpreis

kaufenpreis New Member

No difference generally. Some games run better or worse in one or the other because they're quirky but typically it's exactly the same.

5. Ben.F.Rayfield

Ben.F.Rayfield New Member

If the issue is casual gamers wont effort to click options then fullscreen, you could make fullscreen a top level menu that works instantly.

6. Richard Nunes

Richard Nunes New Member

I always default to fullscreen because I want my game to be the focus. I'm greedy for screen space. Of course, those players who want it in windowed mode will find the button very easily in the top menu, no deeper than an options submenu.

I develop in windowed mode because I need other programs in the background. I have a flag that sets it to fullscreen if it's in "release mode" so that one flag makes all of the changes like disabling the dev console and using a clean initial state rather than whatever test values I use along the way.

7. Will

Will New Member

Borderless windowed is the only way to go for me.