WildTangent Announces New Token-Based Payment System

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by filharvey, Mar 22, 2006.

1. filharvey

Original Member

I just noticed this.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=382704

The coins sounds interesting, but all depends on how the revenue method works.

But the ad streaming could be something that we as a group could work together on, and add into demo versions of the games. Ie, "Sponsored by" at the start of any game being played, with the developer who's game it is gets the revenue of the ad. With a large enough mass, this could help all developers out.

Actually with their system of pulling HTML pages, it would also allow for longer us to advertise new games which we develop as well, in older products. All it would need is an updating of some server information.

Phil

#1 filharvey, Mar 22, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  2. Game Designer

Original Member

Doesn't matter if they keep denying it or not...If a program installs WildTangent without my knowledge and WildTangent use my CPU cycles to track usage and my bandwidth to send it back to them then I call it spyware.

I'm I alone on this?
    ________
    VAPORIZOR

#2 Game Designer, Mar 23, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  3. whisperstorm

Original Member

I love Fate dearly. One of my favorite games of all time. I uninstalled it a few weeks ago because of the wildtangent plugin is doing yuckky things to my machine. I had a friend who installed it and discovered it seems to be adding a proxy on web requests -- he was searching for mods for Fate -- with wt plugin on no results on web (broken links). With plugin off links worked fine... That made me decide to uninstall. I have no idea if it was the plugin, but I ran a disk access monitor on my HD and found wildtangent doing stuff like every second... (was checking using filemonnt). I'd reinstall Fate in a second if I was able to use it without the monitoring stuff..

4. princec

Indie Author

That's an extremely serious allegation and worthy of proper investigation.

Cas :)

5. soniCron

Indie Author

Been done. Many (most?) spyware programs agree: WildTangent is spyware.

6. princec

Indie Author

Well, I can only hope they go out of business. Fast.

Cas :)

7. whisperstorm

Original Member

I really dont think WT is spyware... but I didnt like the system resource use and the idea that it _might_ be doing the proxy thing. I had the plugin running for over a year w/o any harmful side effects. I'm just a purist about what stuff I have running on my machine. It looks like they recently added prefs to change how the plugin behaves, so perhaps this mitigates things...

8. Game Designer

Original Member

I disagree.

When something acts without my knowledge and tracks things, it is spyware.

What if I stood outside your house, looked in your window, and tracked every time you ate a banana without you knowing it? Would I be spying on you?
    ________
    Yamaha Ymf262

#8 Game Designer, Mar 23, 2006
  9. filharvey

Original Member

But, back to the whole idea of using a piece of software, which enabled you to display a HTML as a texture inside of your game. Would / could this be of use to to indie gaming.

Phil

10. Pyabo

Original Member

Of course, it *tried* to tell what it was doing in the EULA, but you didn't bother reading it, did you?

NOT spyware.

The WildTangent plugin periodically checks in with the server to look for updates. It also sends up system information like CPU, RAM, video card type, directX version, etc. This information is used by WT to determine what their target machine spec is. They don't sell the information or share it with others.

11. Game Designer

Original Member

Actually my wife was probably the culprit as it was probably bundled with one of the games she downloaded.

As far as EULAs go...if you read every single word of every EULA of every program you have ever used then I commend you. However, the rest of the world does not. I would also bet that in the casual game arena, less that 1/10 of 1 percent of the people read the EULA.

I am standing by my spyware claim.

If they really wanted to be above board they could very simply prompt the user at the beginning:

"Would you like to install the Wild Tangent plug-in? blah blah blah"

The probably don't do that because they know most people would say no.
    ________
    Vaporizers

#11 Game Designer, Mar 24, 2006
  12. Pyabo

Original Member

Dude... you say your wife probably installed it, but then you go and complain that it didn't mention anything... How do you know?!? Come on.

The last time I installed a WildTangent powered game, it most certainly DID ask me if I wanted to install the product.

And of course no one reads the EULAs... but how does that justify your complaining about how they failed to inform you?

WildTangent made some poor choices with regard to their software and distribution methods... but they are a legit, struggling, somewhat amateur game developer and fledgling publisher, and the cries of "spyware!" about them come from paranoid shrubs.

13. Pyabo

Original Member

They seem to be slowly going out of business... for about 5 years now.

14. Pyabo

Original Member

WildTangent info

The link above is the 3rd hit in the google search soniCron suggested. Quite a bit of information there... including the fact that their software may come pre-installed on many machines, which would explain why you didn't get an install option if you downloaded one of their games.

Some of you seem to be laboring under the impression that the WebDriver is some optional, glommed-on spyware on existing games. This is not the case... the WebDriver is the game engine itself. Without that, you wouldn't have the game at all.

15. Game Designer

Original Member

#15 Game Designer, Mar 24, 2006
  16. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

Been there, got the t-shirt, can even do flash, java etc....

17. KNau

Original Member

I don't think it's that the customer isn't willing to pull our their credit card and pay $20 for a game. I think it's that the customer isn't willing to pull out their credit card.

If you can get a customer to spend a $2.00 micropayment on their credit card then you can get them to spend $20. The process of making payment is exactly the same. No? The hurdle is getting them to make a payment, not how much they pay. Getting a $20 sale price was never the problem for our industry so I don't know where this is coming from.

Also, I swear I've heard this micro-payment line from somewhere before.

18. soniCron

Indie Author

Yes and no. Yes, if they have to use their credit card every time they want to make a micro payment. No, if they buy tokens in bulk prior, or if they get billed later. Theoretically, if you can get people to spend arbitrary sums of credits without having to open their wallet, they'll spend more money than they would with a traditional model. Instead of thinking, "Oh, this costs $6.95," they think, "Ah! Only 14 credits!" Great way to squeeze money out of people, provided you all but completely remove the real-world payment. ("Just give us your credit card info, and we'll automatically bill you at the end of every month, so you don't have to get bogged down with the details!") And the more difficult it is for the player to correlate credits with real monetary value, the better. Just like you can't tell time in Vegas -- you spend more if you don't know how much you're spending.

I appologize, however, because I didn't read the article, so I don't know how they intend to bill their customers. The "tokens" reference leads me to believe they won't be whipping out their credit cards at every turn, though.

19. Game Designer

Original Member

It a simple formula:

pV > C = S

When the Value (perceived - if if real) to the consumer is greater than the cost then it results in a sale.
    ________
    Honda cb450sc specifications

#19 Game Designer, Mar 24, 2006
  20. Pyabo

Original Member

Maybe a better analogy is poker chips... :) However, it seems somewhat like another pie-in-the-sky idea from them. I just skimmed the article... it's actually more about pay-per-play than a new selling system. I am skeptical in the extreme... I can't name a single successful pay-for-play system since 80's style arcades starting going out of business. Why is it that companies insist on trying the same things over and over again while pretending they are new ideas?

Incidentally, I haven't been associated with WildTangent since 2001.