Which tools should I use to create the game

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Jaime Alcántara Arnela, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Jaime Alcántara Arnela

Hi,
    Like all here, I'm thinking about creating my own game. I know my limits, I know I coudn't do something big, but I could try with and indie. It's true there's so much to consider, I will have problem with the artwork, with the music... but I will solve it later. Right know my problem is wich tool should I use. I know how to use python, objective-c and C++ (I would rather not to use objective-C). I believe python is not focused on this matter, so I could use C++. My game will be in 2D and I'm thinking about something similar to Faster Than Light or maybe Prison Architect. Which tools did they use? I don't think it's Unity or Unreal so, which program did they use? or which librery? I'm looking for something like that.

Thanks

2. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

I worked with Flash in the past, when Flash was still cool. This year I switched to GameMaker Studio and I love it. You should totally check it out as it's currently sold at a ridiculous near to nothing price over at Humble Bundle along with a dozen of indie games and their source code.

3. zadig

zadig New Member

Great to see someone praising C++ here :)
    Depending on what you'd like to achieve you can use SFML for multimedia interface (audio/video/IO etc) since it's much simpler than SDL.
    If you'd like check our in-house engine, Tease2D, which is open-source. It consists of a C++ core integrated with Chaiscript (for scripting...), Box 2d (physics) and SFML.
    Even if you don't use the engine, the recipe for what you asked is as simple as stated above: C++, SFML (or SDL if you are more adventurous) and you are good to go! A physics engine if it fits your scope, and the scripting language on-top is optional (but very usefull)!
    Best of luck!

4. Jaime Alcántara Arnela

Thanks for the answer

I will try with SFML then, let's see if I can do it!

5. zadig

zadig New Member

They have their own forum with lots of information. p.m. me if you need some help getting things up and running.

6. Biffy Arellano

Biffy Arellano New Member

I know I'll get into a lot of hot water for this, but have you considered playing around with Game Maker Studio? I know a lot of games similar to FTL made using GMS.

I'm only saying this since I'll openly admit that my knowledge of C++ or C# is very limited. One thing I learned though is that you'll be better off with a tool you're most comfortable with for now since it will then free up your resources to think about the game itself vs problems with the tool.

Again, more hot water for me, but personally, I'm studying and using Swift.