Which model collection would you prefer?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by tucho, Jan 15, 2014.

1. tucho

tucho New Member

Hi people, I'm an experienced 3D artist (9+ years working in the game industry) and lately I've been thinking on start a crowdfunding campaign to create a collection of good looking character models for indie developers.

I'm thinking on a polygon budget about 2500-3000 tris, to the models be usable on mobile devices, but they still have detail enough to look nice on PC or console games, so the idea is that the collection be really versatile.

If the campaign is successful I'll create the collection and the backers will obtain it (or just the models that they choose) at a very good price, but before start the campaign, I'd like to make a poll here to see which kind of models are more demanded for the developers.

My first option is a collection of medieval characters, because I already have a old one available for purchase on Turbosquid and it work pretty good on sales, but the other options would be:
    • Soldiers WWII
    • Soldiers (modern)
    • Zombies and zombie hunters
    • Romans
    • Normal people
    • Orcs
    Any feedback or more options for other collections are welcome as well :), it seems that indiegamer don't allow polls, so if you have any preference for one of the collections, please reply this same thread with your option.

BTW: you can see a sample of my work on my online portfolio, so you can have a more clear idea about the quality that will have the character collection.

2. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I can see bundling them in a variety of ways including pre-rendered in a series of actions. Zombies would be cool.

I market a series of RPG art packs for my RPG map editor, Dungeon Demon Online, if you make your series I would be interested in link swap, affiliation swaps or other co-promotion.

3. flavio

flavio New Member

Hi, my vote is for romans. ;) Best of luck with your campaign!

4. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Zombies win everytime

5. Desktop Gaming

Please, no more zombies. I am all zombied out for one lifetime.

6. therevillsgames

therevillsgames New Member

LOL! My vote would be zombies too! :p

7. tucho

tucho New Member

Hi people, thanks for your comments and feedback :), it seems that here the zombies are the most demanded for now, but I also posted a poll on other forum and there the most demanded are the normal people collection, so I don't decided anything yet, I'll wait few days more just in case there are votes from more people.

@Lennard: I don't plan to create any 2D stuff but if the campaign is successful and I create the collection I may contact you for some kind of co-promotion, thanks.

8. lennard

Tucho I would strongly urge you to consider rendering some sprites - it can't take that long and lots of folks are making 2d games!

@Desktop I'm counting the days until part 2 of the current season of Walking Dead resumes on Feb. 9!

9. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I know! I just checked again the other day and saw that it wasn't back until Feb!?!? :mad:

I think I feel about zombies what teenage girls feel about shimmering vampires.

10. tucho

tucho New Member

Finally I found some time to organize the campaign, I created a specific new thread

11. tucho

tucho New Member

Hi again guys, it has been a week since I've started the campaign. All this time I got decent traffic (specially keeping in mind that I just promote the campaign on sites directly related with game development), I had some good feedback on forums, a lot of likes on facebook, etc... but the campaign has't taken off, it raised $0 so far :(

I guess that this campaign is already a lost cause, but I'd like at least to learn with this experience, to make the things better if in the future I start any similar project.

So what do you think? which is the problem? I know that it is difficult to get funds for any project through crowdfunding, but I thought that at least I'd get to raise $1000 or $2000 (in fact I won't got that amount, because I will only receive funds if at least the goal is reached and the final result would be the same), but I didn't got even a single backer in one week, so I think that there is a big issue with this campaing, and I'm curious to know your opinion.

• Directly there is no market for this kind of stuff?
    • The quality of the models is not enough?
    • Models are too highpoly for mobile?
    • Models are too lowpoly for PC/console?
    • Models are too expensive? if so, which do you think that would be a fair price for this collection?
    • Others?

12. ManuTOO

Original Member

tucho,
    I'm not sure my answer is going to be really helpful, and I'm not much representative (but hopefully still a bit), as I'm not a mobile dev nor a part of a small indie studio (I'm still a lone wolf doing PC stuff :p ).
    Anyway, I was quite curious about your project so I'm amongst the traffic your campaign page got (mainly coz I wonder about the business side of asset production), even though I do not need the kind of assets your campaign aims at.
    But even with some assets I'd need, I'd probably never finance such kind of campaign, mainly coz if I want to buy assets, I'd either buy stock assets already done to get them right away, or pay to get some done especially for my project. In both cases, the $$$ spending decisions will be mostly done at 1 point of the development (that has very low chance to occur when your campaign occurs). Thus, financing a crowd-funding campaign, with delay & uncertainty about the outcome really cannot fit in my decision flow.
    Hopefully, that'll give you some food for thoughts..! :)

13. tucho

tucho New Member

Thanks for your feedback ManuTOO, the idea of the campaign is to purchase quality assets at low price, most of the stock models for the same price has lower quality than mines. Obviously my campaign has the disadvantage that you don't get these models inmediately, you would have to wait a couple of months after successful campaign to get it.

Well, I made the same questions on several forums and many people coincide that the characters are pretty expensive for indie developers or also some people don't find an immediate use for them, but they maybe purchase the models anyway if they were cheaper, just in case they need it in the future or just to make tests on their prototypes, etc. So I decided to drop the price of all the perks of my campaign; I'd need much more backers to reach the goal, but let's see what happen.

14. Davaris

Original Member

Hi tucho,
    I had a look and the models in your campaign look pretty generic to me. Probably explains why there are no takers.

I must say I like what you did with the Glest unlimited low poly model pack and have been looking at it for a few years. I would like to make RPGs and there are no model packs I know of, that you can give the same creature model many weapons - other than yours. The big problem with that pack is it is 3D Max and Photoshop and I'm never going to buy those programs. Put it in open source software like Gimp and Blender and I'd be more likely to buy.

If you specialized in making models, that can be used to construct other things (in open source software) and you made it in a distinctive and consistent style, you could probably build up a nice business for yourself. 3DRT has a good example here:

http://3drt.com/store/environments/sci-fi-environments/sci-fi-techlabs-orion-construction-kit.html

Developing a distinctive style to build brand is what you need to do. Most artists do random one offs and its of no use.

Edit:
    Actually this is a better example of a kit to make levels.

http://3drt.com/store/environments/fantasy-environments/dungeon-master-kit.html

I've never understood why there are so few kits like this.

#14 Davaris, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  15. tucho

tucho New Member

Hi Davaris, thanks for your comments :)

The Unlimited Low Poly Fantasy Character Kit is also available in FBX format (most of 3D programs can import it) and you can open the PSD files on Gimp (you just will lose the folder information and it becomes a bit more chaotic to work with, but you will preserve all layers and can edit it from Gimp).

I know the work of 3DRT, the problem of the stock pages as I explained on the text of my campaign is that takes years of sales to get the real price of a model, so it its not an option for me, because I need incomes every month to maintain my business. For this reason I created this campaign, to get funds which allow me to spent some weeks of work on the creation of the collection... finally it didn't work either :p

From time to time I find some time to create a model for selling it on Turbosquid, it is OK to get some extra money but it is not a big bussiness. 3DRT also has a Turbosquid account, and I'd bet that he has more sales on Turbosquid than on his own store (even keeping in mind that the price of his models in turbosquid is the double than in his own store).