Which idea should I go with?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by JustCallMeB, Nov 22, 2016.

1. JustCallMeB

JustCallMeB New Member

So I have a couple of ideas for a game set in space, and I want to get one into development and finally finish a game. All these game ideas are general design ideas and definitely need development and improvement, but I'm not sure which one would be the best to go with as an indie project and I don't want to waste time developing all of the ideas into more complex ones. I would really appreciate if you'd help me choose one to go with. Also keep in mind all of these ideas would be captured in 2D, or maybe a low poly stylish 3d, (so don't go crazy with graphics when you're imagining them haha). So here they are:
    • The open-world adventure approach: So you start somewhere in the universe with a mission, you visit planets proceeding in the story as you find and gather resources, upgrade your ship and explore the universe to reveal the secrets of the world. Planets actually exist physically, and the gameplay would be seamless with the world loading as you travel in it.
    • The more generic open-world, action approach: Same idea as the previous one, but there will be more shooting bad guys and less discovering secrets. Less story heavy, more action packed.
    • The not so open-world approach: A couple of people are sent to a remote planet to explore the possibility of life, but the mission fails when the spaceship crashes while landing, resulting into the death of the whole crew except one member. The player, trying to uncover the reason the landing failed, can try to fix the spaceship to go back home, or try to start a new life in the wild planet. Mystery and action to taste.
    • The narrative so called game: Same idea, people crash in a planet... (yeah I know) This time the gameplay is in favor of the narrative, with much less exploration and action, in a more linear form. The player traverses through polished hand crafted scenarios to unfold the mystery lurking in the shadows, around the corners and hidden in plain sight. Very story and art heavy, in order to be effective.
    So which one do you think you would enjoy playing the most? Any feedback is appreciated.

2. Dinko

Dinko New Member

I would recommend going for the more unique game, in my opinion the first one, rather than recreating a game we have all played. Your first idea is a game I would play, but it is a harder game to develop. I don't know what your skill level is so I will just say that the first two sound more interesting with the very first being best if you can pull it off.

3. JustCallMeB

JustCallMeB New Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'll hopefully be able to pull it off, since the biggest challenge in open-world games is the mechanics that need to be implemented and that is in my area of expertise(well at least novice-ise haha). But the uniqueness of the other two would be gameplay and story, which have to be worked on to make it unique. If you don't take story and gameplay mechanics into account most of the games would be the same. Little details can make two very similar games quite different in the feel of the game. So I believe the other two ideas also have the chance to be unique when fully developed (well right now all of these are rough sketches), although they might be based of more generic ideas.

4. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

Any of those ideas could do, it all comes down to what you want the player to do : explore the world you've created or read through the story you've written. Both are equally difficult to develop, they just don't play the same and reward the player the same way. If it's your first game just be sure to focus your scope and don't go crazy making too big a world. Actually make it as small as possible and then you can expand it later if you deem it appropriate. Don't forget the point is to finish something and it's a very very important point.

Also for inspiration about open game world, this excellent critic of the Zelda series.

5. JustCallMeB

JustCallMeB New Member

Thanks for the advice. That video was pretty intense! but it did have some points and I will try to consider them.