Where to next?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by wouldyoukindly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. wouldyoukindly

wouldyoukindly New Member

Hi everyone, I have been having a lot of fun, and have been learning a lot. The place I have been learning from the most is tutorials online and watching them make games (2d RPG, 2d Platformer, etc). I've gotten a lot better at coding, I am by no means advanced, but I am starting to understand the structure of C#. I feel pretty advanced in my engine of choice which is unity. What I am wondering is what to do next. I would like to learn how to draw but that could take a while, and I have ideas for games, but I am not really confident in my ability to be able to execute them in the way I would like to. So what should I do next, and is it worth trying to draw or should I get someone else for that. Thanks!

2. 3ph0r

it really depends on if you want to learn to draw. if you can find someone that will do the drawing for you then i would recommend that until you learn to draw yourself. if the games you want to make are only personal projects you can just learn to draw while making the games.

I guess your game ideas are fairly ambitious? The best thing to do here is to break the game into smaller "projects", focus on getting each core feature working before you start putting it together and making everything "pretty". so just use placeholder models (just quickly modeled / drawn or free models/sprites on the internet), then for example focus on getting movement how you want it, then focus on animation, then sound etc.... then once you know that the core game works you can just start adding all the good stuff.

I hope this was what you were asking

3. wouldyoukindly

wouldyoukindly New Member

Yea im just trying to get an idea of when I should be ready to start a serious game. Like should I know everything before I start or should I learn along the way.

4. 3ph0r

its best to learn the basics first but since you say that you already know the basic of C# it should be ok. can you create programming using OOP methods?
    if so then i would just jump into learning more along the way. it will still be a steep learning curve but it should be too bad.

5. Rekusi

Indie Author

Personally I wouldnt be deep in the learning process with a "real" project. Otherwise your project may become too frustrating and not exactly come out the way you wanted it to. And worst of all it may cause you to not finish it. Even if its a game you dont release, I would continue to learn with smaller games until you build the skills you really want for your more serious game.

6. Curry_

Curry_ New Member

I would recommend to try to learn to draw. Buy the cheapest Wacom tablet (I wouldn't recommend other brands. They usually not as good as Wacom alternative and they could discourage you from drawing) and just try. After couple of weeks a mohth maybe you will see if you have it in you. If no, then you know that you just have to invest in some artist and can focus on other stuff you know you are good at.

tip. It's not better to buy bigger tablet. The cheapest ones have very small work area but its not really a problem. I bought the cheapest Wacom and it ok. I bought two at the same time, small one and bigger one, and I just preffered the smaller one so I sent the big one back. Its good to order two sizes and just return one.