Where to continue learning?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Marrowick, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Marrowick

Marrowick New Member

I recently finished a beginner class in Java using Eclipse. I learned how to use arrays, objects, indexes, etc. All the basic stuff, but in text based formats only. So where do I go from here? What is a good online course to take or resource to learn from? What development platform should I use to learn?

2. Osmosis D. Jones

Osmosis D. Jones New Member

what do you aim for?

3. Marrowick

Marrowick New Member

What precisely do you mean? Right now I'm looking for courses teaching intermediate aspects of Java game programming, preferably with visual content, and I plan on programming for PC. If this isn't what you meant then I'l be happy to answer any other questions you have about my goals.

4. Osmosis D. Jones

(sry my english is not the best ^^) what do you mean by "intremediate aspects"?
    but i thinkk i get what you aim for.

i think there are some good java (small) game creation tutorials on youtube. Which cover many parts of java and in direct relation to a game.

5. Marrowick

Marrowick New Member

No problem! What I've learned thus far are the basics such as objects, arrays, data types, and the like. So by "Intermediate" I mean the next step up, the next level of learning. Go from step 1 to step 2. I suppose I'm not sure what exactly intermediate would be, but I suspect probably something along the lines of teaching me new parts of Java, and/or perhaps introduce me to visual game coding as well instead of simply text based game coding.

6. Osmosis D. Jones

all right :)

have you allready learnd about subclases/abstract and exceptions?
    I think if you really got the stuff you meantioned you know the most important part of java, as it allows you to handle data and execute logic. The only thing which is missing is the communication with the player (and for much later networkcommunication, but forget this for a while).

Have you practiced the parts you mentioned so you are flexible on its use? If you are not quite sure, make a little textbase game which just communicates using the console of your ide.
    (you know System.out.print() ? )(there are one line statments which read one key and return a int)

A tip: nearly everything according to java is explained in the internet a 100 times, as text and video. And the oracle documation of java is quite good, but it takes a bit to get used to it.

I would recommend after you are used to the basics to follow a tutorial which makes a small game. The cover parts like making a window, display things, get user imput. Just search for some, check them out, if you like the style of the explanation, the required knowledge and every thing, if not just switch to another - there are so much. (Saddly i dont find the one i used)

And after that try to make your own very simple game. Just some block jumping, is ok :) And a block jumping on other blocks is very great ^^

greetings
    Os

idurvesh likes this.
  7. Marrowick

Marrowick New Member

I've done sub-classes, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by "abstract and exceptions". Given the "/" I presume "abstract" is simply another word for sub-classes, and by "exceptions" do you mean error reading? If so then yes I've done all that and have indeed already made a text based adventure game using all the aspects I have learned so far. I shall look around and try to find something along the lines you suggested, although I would rather use a resource that's a little more professionally made. But I'm thankful for your help and hope that it teaches me what I need to learn. :) Thank you!

8. Osmosis D. Jones

I understand the "profassionaly" point. The thing is, stuff like making a window and moving a mario jumping against blocks is so basic that very much people know exactly how to do that. I woudl just search for videos and than select one you like, there also professional tutorials one youtube, made by students, even profs or indie devs. So if you think a video is not professional enough search for another.
    I would use youtube videos as a practical guide and then use google to get the exact explanation why to do so (i recommend the oracle documation which includes nearly every theoretical information about java - i think it is the official documentation of java ; and stackoverflow which gives you examples of this basic stuff and often explanations)

Maybe there is a better way, this is just what i found is i tried to start ^^
    One thing i can imagine, is to search for some uni stuff, there are many lectures of game making (for example at TU Munich). I dont know how good they are - but they are made by profs - maybe some are free avalable.

greetings
    OS

idurvesh likes this.
  9. Marrowick

Marrowick New Member

Will do! I was never discarding you idea, and did plan on using it, I was simply stating that I hoped that I or someone could also find a more professional source while I use your idea. Thank you!

Osmosis D. Jones likes this.
  10. maxkiel

maxkiel New Member

Well, learning the basic programming stuff is just a start and often enough to begin with game programming. Now do yourself a favour and do not dive into the heavy topics of intermediate programming like OOPS at least for now. These topics will bore you to death and develop frustration. Of course they are very important but they are like more helpful for developing large complex projects and you would be using hardly more than a few classes for now so you will not understand their importance at this point of time anyway.
    Start with the gui programming using swing. You will find great many tutorials for that on youtube and google and remember to search specifically for eclipse ide if you wish to continue using that. Skim through it, just learn all the basics only upto the point when you feel that you get their point. Get my point? :)p). And then quicly move to the actual game programming. One very nice and clean tutorial for doing this that i used during my early days of learning is: http://www.edu4java.com/en/game/game1.html
    It will introduce you with the most basic and important concepts of game programming. You would really want to invest your time on understanding this as the concepts explained here will make your base stronger. Then using this as blueprint, make more games, use more advanced features like using and manipulating images, color blending, fullscreen window etc. Start with simple games and then gradually move to more complex games.
    There is a very good framework built in java called greenfoot for making simple 2d games. It will do most of the repeatitive tasks for you and you will get a taste of feeling of using a game engine. They even have a dedicated website of their own where you can publish your games and see how it goes, how much other people are viewing and downloading it. And then after that, you'll be more than able to start considering making your own game.
    Don't bother yourself with more advanced programming, you'll keep on learning that as you go along. Just keep doing stuff and don't get stuck on a problem for more than an hour, if so, search it on internet, ask it on forums, someone else too must have faced the same problem and found its solution. You can even pm me if you want: maxkiel2016@gmail.com.

bantamcitygames and idurvesh like this.
  11. Marrowick

Marrowick New Member

Very well! I shall indeed look into this!