Where to begin

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by GiGGa, Sep 6, 2016.

1. GiGGa

GiGGa New Member

Hello

Right now I'm in highschool. I've been gaming forever and it's always been a dream of mine to make my own game. I have IT as a subject and after having to make a game for a school project (In Scratch though xD) I though that maybe I should reconsider this dream.

I'm looking for some advice. I'm not expecting to become an indie dev any time soon, but since I have time to "lay the foundation" I wanted to ask you (people who hopefully have experience) what you would suggest.

Where should I start, what should I focus on learning, what skills would you suggest I practice...etc.

Thank you very much
    -GiGGa

(PS. I'm new to this forum so if this is the wrong thread just comment and I'll remove and repost or if a moderator could move it that would be appreciated, thanks)

2. woahitsjc

woahitsjc New Member

I think the best way to start is to start making games. Whether it's paper based, board games or digitally, just pick a tool to do the job. If you have time to make digital games, pick up an engine i.e. Unity, Unreal, GameMaker, etc. If you have more time, you can look for tools that cater to skills such as art and animation, then you can find them by just searching for what people recommend. Though, if you want to focus on a specific role, say you want to become an artist; learn and focus on how to produce 2D or 3D game art and for the rest of skills needed to make a game, just try to learn a little about them as it will be required. Things like scripting, animation, sound and the engine. I'm not too sure about obtaining pre-made scripts and animation. But if you don't want to make sound/audio you can find lots of free audio on the internet, like freesound.org.

Hope this helps,
    Justin

noahbwilson likes this.
  3. noahbwilson

Indie Author

For reals, yo. I used to draw mazes on graph paper when I was like 10.

A game is only a video game when it's ... ya know ... video. A great place to start is just making games in some way shape or form simply because no one can stop you from doing that. Even if you're drawing Mario-esque levels on paper or designing your game's world, you just need to get the ideas out of your head and down onto something.

Oh and math. Math math math. Get really good at everything up to Trigonometry. You need to have an expert grasp of Algebra at least. Trig will totally help you figure out curves, parabolas, and angles. You have to like math, or you're kinda screwed.

Then... yeah, you can start learning some programming languages. I'm old, so I like Flash. New kids like Unity. There's a lot more out there. Pick one and become a pro at it.

4. Rekusi

Indie Author

Best part is you are still in high school. Make a small free web browser based game and show it to everyone in school. Who knows. You may even find a buddy to work on a project together since there may be someone in school just like you wanting to get into making video games.

5. Acosix

Acosix New Member

we can work together on a simple game, if you don't mind? what are you ? game designer/programmer/level designer/story writer?

6. zadig

zadig New Member

I personally am not in favor of easy tools like Unity and other game makers. Not to start your foundation.
    The only developers I've worked with that really knew what they were doing had a decent programming background in C or C++. Specially if you know C++, you may adapt to other languages with great ease. Yes, it takes years to master a language like that, but if you say you have the time... Do you think John Carmack uses Unity?
    Speaking of which, a good thing to start doing is devoting attention to new people, having new idols. Great programmers and/or game-designers like Carmack and Romero (Doom), Jordan Mechner (Prince of Persia), Éric Chahi (Another World) are some of mine.
    Éric Chahi is a very nice example. He now uses Unity (so I heard), but he has developed in assembly time enough to really know what he's doing (OK, we don't need to go that lowlevel today, C++ is quite a nice choice).
    The term "indie" wasn't used back then, but Chahi created Another World in a true indie way, Delphine Software being just a publisher. It took him two years to create a game that is very important in the story of video-games (two years is a very friendly amount of time for an indie project) but he had prior knowledge about how to get things done.
    Chadi is just an example. People worry too much with topics like "what language should I use" and forget to ask themselves "What developers should inspire me". If you are going indie sure you may like Shigeru Miyamoto, but you should admire indie devs like Daisuke Amaya (Cave Story) or those old-school guys who created everything in a very indie way prior the adoption of the term. Study what challenges each one of them faced. This is very inspirational and makes a hell of a difference.

Before I finish this answer, just let me say that I respect every developer no matter what language he/she uses. If you can make incredible games in processing, html5, flash, unity, go for it! But if you have the time to study, use it to learn C++ (or any language that has the same capacities... If I was starting today maybe I'd go for rust, it looks promising). And always study what great developers did before you.

Best of luck!

7. Sponge

Sponge New Member

You should start with Unity. Unity is really friendly to small teams or individuals and I learnt it pretty quick. Something to do is to make a bunch of small games with help from YouTube. Even if their nothing like the game you want to make they will help you pick up basic programming skills.

8. St0rmSlaSh

St0rmSlaSh New Member

I am also new to the forums and I think I can help shed some light on where to start :) I am also in high school and my dream was to be a software engineer, but now I am thinking of game development. Anyways, I started programming with JavaScript and it was really fun, but I wanted to make a full on game. So, I did my research and I found GameMaker studio. I have to say, it is really easy to work with! I made asteroids all thanks to some tutorials on Youtube. You can even code the game if you want on GameMaker if that is your preference, which is really nice. But, this is my opinion. You do not have to follow it. But, it can help you decide what you want to start with. :)