Where to begin ?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Beast, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Beast

Beast New Member

Hi

1.I have an idea for a game, but I have no idea where to begin. What language to learn to program the game? i have no programming experience do I use C , C+ , MySql , Java , PHP etc

2.I would like the game to be available to play on your phone (iphone / android etc)

3.I would like it to be simple layout like if anybody remembers Dope Wars ( what language was Dope Wars created in ?)

4.The game would have a clock and when your would complete different tasks the clock would have moved on a few hours . So a day might pass in a few minutes or when a few options were satisfied. And go between day and night.

5.There would be 6 or 7 Tabs like Shop , Home , Work , Club , News etc so main screen might have 6 pictures (would you use Photoshop to create the icon / tab graphics?)

6. So you would buy stock, go to work or check for work etc,

7. You would never see this happen , no animation , just static pictures and you would be prompted as you progress by text. so for example when work is available you would select the Work Tab, and if a job was there you liked you could select it. Then you would hit continue and the clock moves on a few hours and your bank increases. And as your money increases you can buy more and better things in shop and as you do different jobs you get a rep and offered more higher paying jobs. Also Accepting or Rejecting certain tasks will shape your path , and if you dont upgrade in the shop you will meet resistance along the way.

7. I guess it would be like football manager but with a lot less detail

8. The idea for the story would be a petty thief work his way up the criminal career ladder.

9. So There would be a commentary bar , That would tell you to check a tab where new tasks are available, and would not let you continue unless you accepted or refused etc.

Sorry if that is not a very good description, I would appreciate any help though

Thanks

2. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

I think it is good for you to start with http://unity3d.com/ and everything related to it.

3. Beast

Beast New Member

Thanks for the reply, I will look for some tutorials on it, straight away.

Thanks Again.

4. backlong90

backlong90 New Member

Hi. I'm very new to programming, and I'm really confused on pretty much everything that's said in this article. I have no idea what a library or IDE is, and would really like to learn

5. Spliffy

Spliffy New Member

GameSalad, Construct and GameMaker can be used to make games with no programming knowledge. There are tutorials for each piece of software, and while it will still take much effort and figuring out they are a good place to get your feet wet and have some fun.

If you want to use something that can create a greater variety of games and involves both the added complexity and options that programming provides I would also recommend Unity, which also has a number of great tutorials on its website and all other parts of the internet.

6. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

Exactly. I suggested Unity3D because of vast community, asset store, tutorials... and it's free for basic features which should be enough for experimenting with basic ideas.

7. Xyle

Xyle New Member

Along with Unity, MonkeyX is the alternative I use. I love Java and will always use Java for some things, but for mobile game development your best bet is MonkeyX or Unity because they both provide a write once port to many devices architecture. Don't make a stupid mistake like me and write a game in 1 language THEN figure out how to deploy it to Android/Iphone/Windows Phone, use MonkeyX or Unity to do the porting for you!

And as always, Have FUN!!