Where should the "Credits" button go?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by JGOware, Nov 19, 2008.

1. JGOware

Indie Author

I actually don't like the credits section. I don't think it's really that important. In any event, I see some games have it in the options section, some on the title screen, and some no credits at all. I'm thinking of putting it on title screen a little out of the way so it's not too obvious. ?

2. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

There's no right or wrong answer to these type of questions - just put it where you're happiest.

3. Spiegel

Spiegel New Member

If you dont like the credits then dont put these on the game, if you must, put then inside the options menu or somewhere really out of the way.

4. Acord

Acord New Member

I would advise you against hiding the credits - maybe make a credits screen start cycling if the player sits at the menu for too long, but don't put them out of the way. That could eventually be unfair to both you and anyone you contracted.

5. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

For those of you who don't like having a credits section, let me turn it around for a second. If someone who freelanced for you (music, art, whatever) uses the work they did in their portfolio, you'd like it if they supplied a link to your website, right? That way, if someone's checking out their art/music and happens to think the game seems like fun, you might make a sale.

Well, the credits screen is the same thing, but the other way around. Someone plays your game, loves the art or the music, has a project that needs an artist or musician... your freelancer might land himself another contract based on the hard work he or she did for you.

Cross-promotion makes everyone happy.

Personally, I think it needs to be unobtrusive (since 99% of people won't care), but easy enough to find if someone does care. It doesn't necessarily need to be a separate screen, unless more than three or four people worked on the game... if your game has an intro sequence or screen, you can put it there along the bottom, or in the lower right, in 9 pt. type.

If you do make it a separate screen, I'd prefer to see it be a small, unobtrusive button on the main menu, but if you put it in the Options menu, it's not so bad.

AAA games usually put the credits at the end of the game, but that's not a great idea for indie games. The people who work on AAA games are employees and aren't looking for freelance jobs... the credits there are more of a thank you than a way of helping each other out.

#5 AlexWeldon, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  6. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Nowhere, credits should appear in the main program like in movies... :D

7. Cartman

Indie Author

I put mine on the Options screen at the bottom.

8. Desktop Gaming

I don't have a credits screen. Whos going to look at it?

9. Bad Sector

Original Member

I always look the credits and try to see if i know any of the names listed from other games :)

10. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

Did you bother to read other people's responses before posting?

11. dbest

dbest New Member

I have to agree with this one, i have a simple game, wherein I have followed this format of credits. Especially since the artist decided to put the credits on the Menu Screen. :D

12. Desktop Gaming

Were you born with an attitude problem, or did it take a lot of work? :rolleyes:

13. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

Well, it's not like there were a whole lot of posts in the thread. If you disagree with me, that's one thing - acknowledge what I'm saying and make your counter-argument... but don't just assert that something is pointless when three posts earlier, someone explained quite clearly why they believe it's important.

#13 AlexWeldon, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  14. Desktop Gaming

In my opinion, they're not important at all. My credits screen would read:

Graphics - Me
    Sound - Me
    Music - licenced from someone who doesn't require acknowledgement
    Design - Me
    QA - Me

Therefore, pointless.

15. Artinum

Original Member

Actually, the Monkey Island games did it exactly like that. All the main credits appear in the intro sequence, like a film, and all the detailed credits appear in the end sequence, also like a film.

But then, those games are very filmic.

16. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

In that case, I agree with you that having an actual credits screen is pointless. I think it would be nice to give a little nod to the musician, but not necessary by any means, since you're licensing existing music and not commissioning custom music. The nature of stock art/music is that it's generally not attributed.

You're a special case, though... if a company consists of a single person, the company logo is equivalent to that person's signature. If a game was made entirely by that one-man team without any freelance support, then assuming your company name or logo appears somewhere in the game, that IS your credits screen.

That's not the case for most people, and I think it's an important gesture of respect to credit everyone who worked on your game. Part of the reason for being indie is that we treat people - and are treated - like people, not drones.

17. KNau

Original Member

If you're a one-man shop then I'd go with "a game by...".

Always be pimping! If you don't man up and take credit for the game then your publisher or aggregator will. It's more valuable than you think.

18. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

make your credits screen more interesting. Check out the Kudos 2 and Rock Legend credits screens. They rule :D

19. vjvj

Indie Author

Exactly.

One could just as easily say that purposely avoiding credits screens is "pointless". Why would you do that? There's nothing wrong with recognizing contributors on a project, and if the credits screen is optional or at the end of the game, no one can complain.

I mean I know we're indies and everything, but that doesn't mean we need to rebel against everything.

20. SteveZ

Indie Author

I put the Credit button where it fits in the screen, in Forgotten Lands it was on the bottom right side while in FR: Moonlight Sonatas it was painted onto a picture of a creepy woman. I tend to prefer a simple one screen credit that shows all the names instead of having the credits roll up. Players usually don't have the patience to watch the entire credit (unless it's awesome like the way Scruffs did it) and if the players like to note/remember a particular name, the still screen is more effective.