Where is a good start?(PC)

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by snateam, Feb 4, 2015.

1. snateam

snateam New Member

hey, so i have had a couple ideas for different games for a while. Now a large amount of people say "hey i have an idea" and never do it for whatever reason. i have a little bit of background with port-forwarding and hosting servers for games and websites, but i still do not know much about actually creating a game. The most i have with programming is little to none(knowing a small amount of html, and very little java). My main interest is in more of the technical side over the physical appearance of things. So i want to know what are some of the basic programming languages i should learn for starting out? My main interest is PC(i know this is a little more technical because it can depend on what kind of game i, or whoever, wants to make)? I'm sure i am not the only one wanting to know this, but i have not found any posts asking this question.
    TL;DR
    What is a good language to learn for starting out?(directed towards PC, not mobile)
    Also, if you don't mind, what language did you start out learning?

2. CCHAudio

CCHAudio New Member

When I started off I learned Cobol, Lisp, and Fortran. I do not recommend learning these languages as they are laughably outdated. I think the most universally useful language to learn would be C++/C#. However depending on what you're trying to do you may want to start with a base engine like Unity or Unreal where you'll be scripting a lot more than hard coding.

3. Sim

Sim New Member

I agree with the guy Above. CCHAudio.

I would go with C#/c++ or engines he mentioned.. C# is really well documented on microsoft site. If I don't know a specific thing, I just google stuff like "C# listview" or "C# networking", "C# XNA" ect. and some good links usually show up.

4. Bad Sector

Original Member

BlitzPlus and Blitz3D were recently open sourced and you should be able to get a free version. You can find instructions on how to get them and get started with them in the community here. They're a simple all-in-one solution and made for making games (Blitz3D is probably what you want, it can also do 2D and AFAIK it is more up to date). Many games, including a bunch of commercial games, were made with them.

Alternatively you can check out Python. If you have no idea about programming at all, check the Invent games with Python book (it has a free online edition) and its followup which introduces you to PyGame.

I think C#/C++/etc are languages you can try out at a later stage since they require much more work from your side.

5. GaiaDreamCreation

Indie Author

I think it depends of what you want to do. Is it for doing commercial work or just learning? Unity3D free edition with C# is great. It has the advantage of being well documented, has a great community and it's fast and easy to get a simple working game or concept.

I started with C and C++ (just after QBASIC in DOS!!!). C++ can be tough for some people when starting. If the tools you want to use require you to learn C++, go for it. Otherwise, it's not my first choice today in terms of fun and learning curve. It's still a great choice generally to work in the game industry. If you want to learn UDK as an alternative to Unity3D, C++ is recommended.

Another suggestion: You can learn quickly with Javascript. It's also possible to make HTML5 games with Javascript. Later, you'll be able to use your Javascript skills in Unity3D as an alternative to C#.