What's up with GameTunnel?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by GnadeGames, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Supported! :)

Whether it means combining these 2 sites... I don't care. I always liked GT (especially monthly roundups)

2. Artinum

Original Member

Maybe the community itself is letting these things go. Bytten's been fairly quiet lately - is no-one writing games any more?? - and even this site seems to have fewer posts than it used to get.

3. zoombapup

Oh there are as many posts, just crowded out by spam and the moderators are just not able to keep up with the volume of spam vs actual posters under the current system.

4. Grey Alien

Indie Author

+1 for Monthly Round Up and Annual Review thing. That's what I liked best about the site. In fact, why does it even need a redesign? What it needs is content. I still donated anyway.

5. papillon

Indie Author

This site became sufficiently big and fractious that most of what's posted isn't of interest to most of the other posters. :)

As for Bytten - seeing mention of money on a review site is a bit of a turnoff (although I assume that's mostly there to take it from them that have too much of it rather than to demand it), and pushing review copies at all isn't of clear value without some idea of what sort of audience the site has in the first place. Who's reading, and what kind of games are they interested in?

6. princec

Indie Author

Bytten - I take issue with submitting to sites - I've got way too much work as it is to do reveiwers' jobs for them. I think Mark should probably find games to review like everyone else. It's not like there isn't an inexhausible supply of indie games being churned out and mentioned on any of a whole bunch of easy-to-check news sites... (after applying some sort of Minecraft filter, natch).

Gametunnel could simply be deleted and replaced with the indie roundup and annual awards (+archive) and it'd be everything it needed to be, and unique on the interwebs, and great. It wouldn't even take any money to do it to be honest. A basic web design can be thrown up and hosted for pennies using Wordpress and Disqus on a super cheap VPS, and it'd be making a profit from day 1 through ads (PLEASE use ProjectWonderful) especially seeing as the contributors never got paid.

Cas :)

7. GnadeGames

Original Member

The main reason Gametunnel needs a redesign is because the cms system is awful...it's basically an html editor. Even after you write a post and publish a post you still need to crack open the php to change the homepage images. The average contributor can't handle this kind of thing. All of this stuff can be made a lot easier - and thus make it a lot easier to update the site.

The next big pain in the ass will be moving all of the old content into the new CMS maintaining the site's excellent SEO presence.

The site doesn't look bad, but with all the above work necessary - we may as well get a sweet new design out of it from Fully Illustrated.

8. Game Producer

Actually... another vote for "just monthly roundup" thing.

9. Jack Norton

Indie Author

100% agree

10. terin

Original Member

Lol

You guys could, like, tell me you wanted to know what was up... it's not like you lack my email or IM info!

Back when I purchased GT there was a big price cut that hurt the site revenue big time (50%). The planned revamp of GT had to come out of it's budget, which, after a lot of painful thought, the decision and best business move was to let it be a cash cow and produce revenue as a dead site.

The final nail in that coffin was Reflexive shutting down, as that was the primary source of revenue and now it was basically required to do a ton of work to even have it as a cash cow. In the end my focus shifted towards selling off my web based business (Now completely sold!).

I had the best intentions with the site, honest. Economic factors just got in the way. I hope the new owner can do what I was unable to do, as I saw the site the same way everyone did; a very valuable resource for all indie developers.

For the last couple years I have been focused on purchasing, building up, and then selling game websites. It worked great!... but it was boring. I got burned out on it and plan on focusing more on indie games again this year. Yeah, so, you can't get rid of me so easily even if I DID kill the coolest indie game site ever :(

-Joe

11. Bad Sector

Original Member

That means you're going to return in indie game marketing? To me that is bigger news :p

12. terin

Original Member

Indeed that is the direction I am pushing at the moment. I took on my first new client for that kind of thing in ages a few weeks ago: www.endlessfluff.com - Legend of Fae.

If gametunnel gets back on its feet I think it'd be a "Buy" rated game! :D

In discussion with several more. I don't think I will do my old press release gig, unless demand is unusually high for it; rather I would do it as part of some grander scheme.

Anyway, the thread is about Gametunnel - so carry on! I'll probably post something about my return to marketing in the near future. I even started correcting all the out of date things in my book- but that is SLOW GOING.

13. GnadeGames

Original Member

I just wanted to update everyone on a few GT things:

1. Michael Heald of Fully Illustrated has gotten in contact with me and would love to do the redesign. This is great news since he's awesome.

2. I have been in touch with Russ, the original founder of GameTunnel and he shared some interesting things with me about the site. Before Russ sold it, there was a redesign of GT that was never finished. Russ envisioned adding more social features among other things to the site.

Everyone has mentioned that they loved the monthly roundup panel - this is doable, but are there other features that developers would be interested in?

I am currently focusing on an idea where you can find the monthly roundup in a large featured section of the site and then have quick links to other developer driven posts below this such as:

New Game - When you release a game, you create a game page on Gametunnel - the most recent game with images and links to your site is shown on the homepage

Top Rated - Every game can be rated by the community - this widget shows a random game with a great score

Demo Download - I would like to continue working with developers as an affiliate and prominently feature a GT recommended game in a widget with convenient try/buy links

Indie Deals - Widget highlighting great indie deals/promotions (Humble Indie Bundle, Discounts, etc.) - Hopefully we can work with some indies to get some exclusive deals and discounts going.

Just some ideas - I just started working on our redesign document. We still need help to get all of this done: http://kck.st/eVLvhr

14. GnadeGames

Original Member

So here's a concept image of the new GT:

[​IMG]

Currently, I am completely overwhelmed with porting everything from the old gametunnel.com over to our new site, but the new site is coded and seems to be working great. I would love to get some indie devs beta testing the new site and registered as authors (this will allow you to add your own games to the site). If you're interested please PM me.

I will probably open the site to all indiegamers.com posters in the coming week.

Relaunch is set for August 2011.

15. desmasic

Original Member

Looks nice but isn't the green colour scheme similar to Gamezebo? (since both sites have pretty much same content) It also looks similar to Gamasutra as well. Maybe green is just "indie" color for such news/review sites I guess.

Grey looks a bit dull in the shot. Maybe turn grey to white and white background to some other colour (black?)

16. Greg Squire

Original Member

I like the new look! I think it's different enough from Gamezebo. Looking forward to the relaunch in August.

17. princec

Indie Author

Haha, it looks great ;)

18. GnadeGames

Original Member

Cas-

You like the Revenge of the Titans graphic huh? You can thank Mike Heald for that. lol.

19. princec

Indie Author

:D Where the bloody hell is Mike, he's supposed to be, er, talking to me, about... some stuff...

20. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Dead sexy layout :)