What's the secret?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Cubies, Jul 23, 2006.

1. GBGames

Indie Author

VDs? Wakka wakka wakka!

2. impossible

Original Member

No, VDs are the secret to getting a lot of search hits in Google.

3. dxgame

Original Member

"Why would you assume that someone who says they want to make a great game actually only wants to make a popular game?"

Unfortunately the perceived success of video games are often based on their financial performance in the consumer market.

"It doen't have to be purely a cash-grabbing exercise."

I totally agree that money doesn't have to be the driving force for the inspiration of game development, especially in the indie dev scene. And there's nothing wrong with releasing freeware, or nosalesafteritsreleased ware, etc.

I personally would just rather develop a great game that also makes great money. More than likely it will never happen, but that's my goal.

4. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Everyone would like to make money; or at least, nobody likes being poor.

But this is one of the only times in recent memory that someone around here has actually asked about making better games, rather than about increasing their profit. It's nice...

I also think that very few of us have actually managed to make a really good game, so it's largely untested as to how well you would do. Most successful indies get by with smart management of very average games. Most failed indies try to get by with very subaverage games that make the average games look good. Anyone who wants to make it in this business needs to have the skills necessary to create an average game, and with a few years' experience, most of us get to that stage. But to go beyond that and make a really good game is a very tough barrier to break through. I think so, anyway. It's kind of moving from developing your craft, to developing your art...

Good marketing can help keep a mediocre business operating, but I also do believe that if you did make a genuinely great game, it shouldn't be too hard to make it worth your while, financially. After all, at the level most of us operate on, we don't depend on getting 100 million dollars worth of sales. I think that a genuinely good game - the kind of game that you could imagine being your favourite game - would probably generate enough positive word-of-mouth to to be a "indie-level" success.

5. Mike D Smith

Original Member

For help with both doing great marketing and making a great game, read VGSmart's book The Indie's Guide to Selling Games. The first part focuses on marketing, the last part focuses on game design to create player motivation.

Great book, well worth the money I paid for it.

6. Klaim

Original Member

When i hear about "great game" i translate to "cultural reference" , in the positive way of it.
    If the game has a big impact on culture of the players and non-players, on media, then it is a cultural reference.

Now, what i think make a great game is about putting your own deep soul in it. But it's difficult to "feel" it for most people, maybe because society scheme need to "format" you... if you can't have a distant an schizofrenic view of your perceived world, thinking like an alien or something, it should be difficult to make something that will touch people deep mind.
    Maybe the key is juste about exporting your deep feelings the most effectively in the mind of the player. That is my definition of art.

But if you want to make money, it's optionnal : just keep a scientific process to know what works and what don't. Look at Diablo for example. Diablo 2 is only about throwing a continue flow of data to the player for processing. Sometime after a big process to achieve there is a reward that equilibrate with the energy spent in the process. The flow don't stop, in a way that makke the player keep processing until something more interresting ( like a beautiful girl ) interrupt it's focused mind.
    If you think like that, you can statisticly make a game that sells.

Ok, ok, that's true that monkeys are better...but...maybe ninjas can defeat them, don't you think?

7. Uhfgood

Original Member

The secret to a great game is...Finish one.

What's so great about that?
    First you prove to yourself you can do it.
    Secondly if you didn't enjoy doing it, you would find that out.
    Thirdly you prove to others you can do it.
    Fourthly you may then wish to build another "great game".
    Fifthly you may be able to get help the next time around if you wish it.
    Sixthly you may be able to make some cash from it, if you want.
    Seventhly you will be capable of judging what will make the next "great".

Any others i've forgotten?

8. Brandon-Apok

Brandon-Apok New Member

What if you had Super Ninja Monkeys?

9. Klaim

Original Member

Well, maybe we should be in our time and have Cyber Ninja Monkeys. With wifi and USB.

10. Brandon-Apok

Brandon-Apok New Member

.... And Wii controllers to beat people .... :p

11. DrWilloughby

Indie Author

Lack of love.

Cold, hard logic.

12. Davaris

Original Member

All the devs I know of that are successful, make very simple games (controller wise).