What's the secret?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Cubies, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Is that addressed to me? Check out the credits in those games to find out the answer :)

all the best
    Roman

2. Ste Pickford

Original Member

Pretty much perfect advice.

The, "figuring out what's bad about it," bit is often quite tricky.

3. Rebrehc's Industries

Original Member

For that you may require the help of a truly honest friend, who has the class to warn you about the bad stuff that you just can't seem to see for yourself, and the tact not to completely crush your ego when telling you about it.

4. Gassey

Original Member

Exactly my point! :) When you're really involved, or really into your idea, it's so hard to step back and take a fresh look at it. And if you're working solo, it makes this even tougher.

5. Ste Pickford

Original Member

I think we're talking about different things.

The problem with getting to close to your work (especially when working alone), and the need for objective and honest friends is all to do with identifying whether or not your game is bad.

Even with the difficulties mentioned, this is the easy bit.

Its figuring out why its bad, or which bit is bad, or what needs to be changed to make it better - that's the hard bit.

6. DanMarshall

Original Member

The secret is Smack, and lots of it. And everyone knows that.

7. JPickford

Original Member

Monkeys are always a good idea.

8. soniCron

Indie Author

If you put an infinite number of monkeys in front of an infinite number of keyboards for an infinite amount of time, eventually one of them would develop a Bejeweled clone. There seem to be a lot of monkeys around...

9. LilGames

LilGames New Member

Seriously though, remember to watch new players trying your game and try not to guide them.

After X hours/days/weeks of playing your game over and over, you will be TOO aware of every nuance, and thus too acclimated to the game's weaknesses. (For example: Bad controls won't feel so bad since you'll be so used to them, but they will be instantly noticeable by players).

10. Artinum

Original Member

In the absence of such a friend, there are games reviewers.

11. dxgame

Original Member

It's been proven time and time again, in almost every media; movies, music, and video games. A sub par product with a good marketing campaign can generate more money than a high quality product with no marketing muscle behind it. Beta vs VHS for example. lol..

"What's the secret to making a great game?"

Perhaps the question should be "What's the secret to making a popular game?" Because "great" and "profitable" don't always go hand in hand. ;)

12. Christian

Original Member

Do it from your heart.

Bad products dont last long, even if they are succesfull in a short period of time. The best products allways become classics, aim for making a classic.

13. oNyx

Original Member

An infinite amount of time isnt necessary anymore, if there is already an infinite number of random data generators.

No matter how short the timespan is. They will generate *ALL* possible byte combinations... and that infinite times.

---

The big secret is... that there is none, but dont tell anyone.

14. LilGames

LilGames New Member

Blair Witch Project ?

The purple cow ?

... :-D

15. vjvj

Indie Author

Dudes, you're all wrong. The true secret is the vast number of free alternative development tools out there!

With free development environments/compilers, Open Office, and Gimp, there's nothing stopping you from making an MMORPG on PS3 and Xbox 360! And Wii and DS!

GO!
    FOR IT!

16. JPickford

Original Member

Has anyone done a Massively Monkey Player RPG?

17. vjvj

Indie Author

Not yet, but I think there's a market for that on Xbox 360! And Wii and DS! :)

18. JPickford

Original Member

Good. Cos my mate can get dev kits cheap.

19. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Why would you assume that someone who says they want to make a great game actually only wants to make a popular game? It doen't have to be purely a cash-grabbing exercise. I'd like to think that there are at least a few people left that care about the quality of their work, and not just fattening their wallets.

If I was faced with a choice of making the game better in my opinion, or doing something I didn't agree with that I knew would make the game more popular, I'd go with "better" every time (or I'd look for a third option). I know not everyone agrees, but if you don't, you probably don't care about games at all.

Now, as for your honest friend testers; they are great for finding out particular things like confusing instructions, or whether level 5 is too hard, and other broad structural things like that. But they can't tell you how to tweak your game to make it more fun unless they're experienced designers too. They are most useful for showing you how a typical player will respond on seeing your game for the first time - the one thing you can never, ever do is see your own game for the first time.

20. impossible

Original Member

I honestly have no idea. But I can easily tell you all the secrets to making a bad game.