what's the safest resolution for PC games

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by zerodevice, Dec 10, 2006.

1. zerodevice

zerodevice New Member

Hi.

*Edited*

what's the safest resolution for PC games?

#1 zerodevice, Dec 10, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  2. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

This is probably a wrong question, unless you aim to make games for people who make games..

Better question would be, what's the safe resolution? As windows xp defaults to 800x600, that's probably the safest resolution these days.

3. zerodevice

zerodevice New Member

ah, ok.
    Sorry for the wrong question, i'm going to change it now.

4. oNyx

Original Member

You can use any size, if its windowed. If you want to support fullscreen mode, you have to use one of those standard modes. 640x480 and 800x600 work pretty much everywhere. A bigger mode always means more pixels (apparently), which means higher system requirements (more fillrate needed) and if it's 2D also a bigger download.

If you can get away with 640x480, use that one. Otherwise 800x600. And if you really really need to cram lots of stats etc into one screen, use 1024x768.

If it's 3D startup at 640x480 and let the user change the mode to whatever they want.

See also:
    http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=7654

(I saw that you just edited your post, but I think that my answer is still fine.)

5. ZeHa

Original Member

In many cases, e.g. if you're displaying a huge scrolling tile map, it would also be possible to let the user choose his resolution. And for 3D games, that's a general option, of course.

But with "match 3"-games, I would stick with something like 800x600, also because it can be played in a window which is usually smaller than the Windows-resolution, and it feels more "casual" to some players ;)

6. zerodevice

zerodevice New Member

well, I'm going for 640x480, since its probably one of the fastest and easiert way to not use too much memory cache.

7. stiill

Original Member

I've been seeing a lot more devs saying they're comfortable requiring up to 1024x768 for full-screen, but if you want to be super conservative, 800x600 is always safe. Even in the casual market, there are very few computers that can't handle 1024x768 full-screen.

8. Pallav Nawani

Indie Author

Suggest using either 800x600 or 1024x768. Now a days pc monitors tend to have better resolutions, so art at 640x480 might look pixelated. For older pc monitors this might not be the case.

9. ZeHa

Original Member

One thing that bothers me is that everyone buys a flatscreen display, which means that every resolution except the native resolution looks really poor. You're lucky if the native resolution can be divided by your game resolution, but even then, often there's some kind of Anti-Aliasing turned on and it looks shitty in my opinion. But it gets really worse if it's a completely other resolution...

So that means you can't really predict anymore what the game will look like. Also, the colors often get messed up a little on cheap flatscreens. And lately, widescreen displays became popular... argh. Of course, "windowed version"-programmers won't be bothered ;) but I'm a fullscreen fanatic and so it's really a serious problem for me ;)

10. zerodevice

zerodevice New Member

Argh~!!! Jesus~!!! Why don't the world stick with the same standard?
    well, I'm still going for "Windowed+640x480". that makes my starting point a bit more easier.

maybe my next game will be 800x600+fullscreen

11. Uhfgood

Original Member

I have an lcd monitor. I don't get all this "this looks really poor" junk. I find 640x480 easier to look at, however most of my windows and dialogs nowadays just cover too much screenspace for that. I keep my res in 1024x768 because of my tv-out (max it will do is that). I find that too high of a resolution everything looks really tiny. Then you go well let's enlarge the fonts and icons and stuff, and then it covers that much of the screen anyways. Yeah so lower res's look a bit pixelated, but it can still look good if you're anti-aliasing/feathering/whatever correctly.

12. zerodevice

zerodevice New Member

I too am using a LCD.
    using 1024 for my res on my screen.
    don't have any problems with it.

my game is still going to remain on 640 res.

13. ZeHa

Original Member

The problem with LCDs is that they need to interpolate pixels when the resolution is below the native resolution. And that looks blurry, but not regularly but more "weird", because, of course, not every pixel gets an interpolated counterpart. So it's only every 3rd pixel or something, depending on the resolutions. This is not done on CRT monitors, because they work different.

I really don't like that look, but if you don't bother, that's okay too ;)

14. MrQ

MrQ New Member

We are currently supporting 1024x768 and 800x600 for our casual game.

15. Pogacha

Original Member

My first game used 640x480 and have the hability of running in almost any machine but I found that no one who bought it, and less than the 1% of who have pressed the buy now button, have less than 64mb of vram. Actually I'm thinking of using 800x600 instead for having better graphics and a better CR instead of more hardware coverage.

16. zerodevice

zerodevice New Member

hmm.... well is your 640 res a full screen mode?
    coz i would imagine that 640 full screen is going to be very very blur or pixelate.
    my game is going to stay 640 windowed.

17. Nexic

Indie Author

Almost everyone can do 1024x768 these days, but the main consideration isn't whether they can do it, but whether the game will run at a decent speed at that res.

If your game is action orientated with lots of sprites and alpha blending or if you're using something slow like Flash then go for 800x600. If it's a puzzle game/strategy game then you should safely be able to manage 1024x768. 640x480 looks crappy these days so I would just forget about that.

Those are just rough guidlines. The question is, with your tech how fast do you estimate the game will run on a 800mhz machine with 32mb graphics, and is that going to be enough for the kind of game you're making?

Also remember that new budget PCs (casual gamer machines) are being sold with junk on board graphics cards at the moment. My old 750mhz PC with Geforce440 graphics wipes the floor with my brothers brand new laptop in gaming terms.

18. Spanky Ham

Spanky Ham New Member

I ran across this article over at Onestat. The figures are for the web, but I assume that is what people are using for the desktop as well. It looks like over half the world is using 1024x768.

19. MrQ

MrQ New Member

Surely 640x480 has gotta be dead. I think of win95 when I see 640x480 and I don't know anyone that runs that res anymore. I think 800x600 should be the minimum these days with 1024x768 supported.

20. PsySal

Original Member

I think 640x480 or 800x600 is a good minimum resolution to support. However I will tell you one important fact I didn't really grok when I made Venture the Void. That is, your GUIs etc. should actually not scale with the window size, instead they should be smaller in higher resolutions. In other words, if a button is 40 pixels wide in 640x480, it should be 40 pixels wide in 800x600. Why? People with larger monitors run higher resolutions. The button will be the same physical size for roughly everyone, then. Everybody's pixels are something like the same size. Wierd, but I think it makes sense once you realize it.