What's the going rate for HTML5 portal games?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by DigitalDuffman, Apr 4, 2011.

1. DigitalDuffman

DigitalDuffman New Member

I've mostly finished an HTML5 port of my XBLIG release Hypership Out of Control, which you can play right here: http://www.funinfused.com/hypershiponline

A German gaming portal saw my game and was interested in having it on their website in a non-exclusive arrangement (ie I'm free to put it anywhere else too). They have offered me a onetime payment. They will place ads on their website where my game is hosted.

I have never sold a game to a portal before. I'm completely clueless as to what a fair rate is, anyone care to share? Also do developers usually just take an upfront fee like this or do they demand a share of the ad revenues? Is it good to set a timeframe on how long the game can be made available, so for instance I sell it to them for one year?

Any other tips or advice you can give me as well is very appreciated. I've only previously sold console games for XBLIG so this portal business is totally new to me. Thanks!

2. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

You could look at Flash Game License for quality level and prices that Flash games are getting.

I played your game and... if they are paying you some cash non-exclusively then I think you are doing well for yourself. Take the cash and move on to the next one.

3. AdrianC

AdrianC New Member

I agree with lennard, a game like that has... small chances of getting sponsored on FGL if it was in flash. If you can even get a few hundred bucks, I'd take it.

4. electronicStar

Original Member

Can you even sitelock a HTML5 game?

5. DigitalDuffman

Thanks for the opinions! I really just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting fleeced in this deal but it sounds like their offer is pretty fair. My game isn't 100% done yet, still needs the particle effects, music, controls for mobile devices, and some other odds and ends. But the dev time to get there is worth what they'll pay me.

I like this website because no one is ever kind to my games :) I never get a big head posting here.

I dunno... you might not be able to actually, it's just JavaScript on an html page. I'm happy this website though wants to pay me to have my game there and isn't going to try steal it for free.

6. oNyx

Original Member

Controls feel weird. Well, the cursor keys really should work, too. I'd also make ctrl work as fire key, too.

>If you can even get a few hundred bucks, I'd take it.

Agreed. There isn't much you can do wrong when it comes to non-exclusive licenses.

>Can you even sitelock a HTML5 game?

There is no noteworthy difference to Flash. You can prevent straightforward copying, but that's about it.

7. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Probably lots of people here haven't seen your XBLIG version and so they don't know how it will really end up looking/feeling.

8. JoKa

Indie Author

I can't play :(

In Firefox the search function is activated once I touch WASD and in IE it doesn't start due to some error:
    'Audio' ist undefined
    Line: 72

9. DigitalDuffman

I can add cursor controls no problem. I'll likely be add mouse ones too (I believe that's how you implement controls that work with touch pads but I have to research to make sure).

10. DigitalDuffman

True. It'll look better with more effects in there. Though some things like rotating asteroids or fading in/out objects might not be possible easily w/ HTML5.

For anyone interested, the XBLIG version looks like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-6IY3jyi_k

11. DigitalDuffman

I haven't seen that issue w/ FireFox... might be some non-default setting you have? I use FireFox for 90% of my testing on this game. I guess I'll add arrow key controls too and those should help get around this issue too.

The IE bug is something that should display an error like "This browser does not support HTML5" but apparently because it doesn't support that audio element, it displays that error instead. It didn't use to do this so I will look to resolve. You need IE9 or another HTML5 capable browser (FireFox, Chrome) to play.

12. totor

totor New Member

Please do add cursor keys if you want to target a broader audience since for instance wsad is unplayable with a french keyboard (it's zqsd for us).

About the html5 sponsoring, i remember that spil games were interested a few months ago if it may help.

13. DigitalDuffman

Arrow controls are now in the game, also CTRL now fires lasers too.

I'll take a look at spil games as well and see if they have anything to offer to my game too. Thanks!

14. electronicStar

Original Member

I have two big problems:
    -the window scrolls as soon as I hit the arrow buttons or Space.
    -the slow downs make it unplayable (firefox 3.6)

Also: If I leave CTRL pressed anything might happen if I press another key.
    (for example: CTRL+D tries to bookmark the page)

15. oNyx

Original Member

>the slow downs make it unplayable (firefox 3.6)

Firefox 3.6 is too slow for action games (or well... anything with some scrolling). Get Firefox 4.

16. DigitalDuffman

I've dropped the title from the page. Now hopefully you won't need to scroll. I'm unsure how else to disable it.

You can also use Space Bar. I added CTRL because it was suggested here but maybe there is a better button I should be using?

I do have some ideas on performance but haven't gotten to implementing them. The game plays better in IE9 and Chrome I have found though.

Thanks for playing and the suggestions!

17. oNyx

Original Member

>I'm unsure how else to disable it.

In your event-listner, you take that event object and call preventDefault on it. E.g. e.preventDefault();. If the event is cancel-able (this one is), the default action won't be executed.

A related function is e.stopPropagation(), which stops propagation (in the bubbling phase).

There is also "return false", which does both things. Typically you only want to prevent the default action though.

By the way, there is a bug in the current version of Opera, which prevents you from preventing the default action in a key down handler. This issue will be fixed in the next version.

In the meantime you can use this workaround:

Code:
    if(window.opera)c.addEventListener('keypress',function(e){if(!e.shiftKey&&!e.ctrlKey&&!e.metaKey&&e.keyCode>36&&e.keyCode<41)e.preventDefault()},false);
    (c = the canvas element)

Only prevent the default action if it's a key you're actually using. This is what makes HTML5 games behave nicer than Flash.

18. DigitalDuffman

I've added that workaround for Opera. I haven't tested it though, I've mainly checked on FireFox, Chrome, and IE9. I'll have to look more into preventing Ctr, Shift, etc commands causing default browser actions.

Thanks for all the tips and info everyone!

19. kraz007

kraz007 New Member

HTML5 isn't mature enough to get a GOOD sponsorship or licensing deal. Every browser is different, so it rarely pays off to do so many customizations on a small game. Look at it this way: you build a custom car for 50,000 and then you need to spend another 50,000 to make sure it runs on different types of roads. Not worth it.

20. DigitalDuffman

I like most aspects of HTML5... it wasn't hard to write the game and most of the modern browsers support the drawing aspect of it. The biggest issue I see is with audio though. Each browser supports different formats and even when they do play, the audio often has clipping issues or lags behind (I guess I have to predict the future so I can play my sounds before the user does the action that causes them). IE 9 for instance won't play wavs so I need to make them all into MP3s but then other browsers don't do mp3. I've got a lot of good things to say about HTML5 but they seriously dropped the ball on audio support which I believe they need for HTML5 to be taken seriously as a gaming platform. I've probably devoted less time to this project since I started doing audio because I realized how lacking it is.