What's REALLY needed to start an indie business?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Infinite Element, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Infinite Element

Infinite Element New Member

What's really needed to start an indie business? Like, how much money is needed, what extra resources are needed?

-Inf.

2. papillon

Indie Author

Enough. :)

3. HairyTroll

Original Member

If you want to make a small fortune in indie games, then you should probably start with a large fortune.

4. Coyote

Indie Author

That's kinda like asking what sized house or apartment someone REALLY needs.

Cost of a State + Local DBA license: ~ $70 / year ($100 initially)

Cost of getting a website hosted: Well, that REALLY depends. I used free webhosting for the first year. Now I'm at about $100 / year, which is still cheap

Cost of getting a domain: ~ $10 / year, probably want 5 years initially. $50.

Cost of tools: It Can Be Done For No Budget. But I wouldn't recommend it if you are doing something commercial.

Paying your artists / programmers / composer / etc: $Highly Variable. $0 if you do it ALL yourself.

Marketing: Starts at $0. Scales up from there very easily. Zero-Budget marketing can be effective in bootstrapping itself, if you turn all your (limited) returns back into marketing your game.

Paying Yourself: You are gonna have to eat and have electricity and a network connection while developing and selling your game. Exactly how much depends on your location, lifestyle, and how much time you spend getting the game out. Me, I finance this part by having a day job.

5. marshmonkey

marshmonkey New Member

53,984 american dollars

6. mot

mot
    Indie Author

Also a computer.

7. Matthew

Indie Author

Really, all you need is time and dedication. If you have time you can always exchange some for money. The leftover time is used to work on your indie projects. Keep that up for a few years and you're set!

8. JoshuaSmyth

Original Member

I think it needs one or two finished projects, and maybe a couple of fails just to keep your ego in check ;)

Only then will you be well equipped to start an indie business.

9. bvanevery

bvanevery New Member

Starting an indie business and an indie game business are not the same thing. I'd recommend news://misc.business.consulting for a less risky approach to keeping yourself afloat. One of the hardest challenges of being in business for yourself is forcing yourself to work. Another issue, although it is surmountable, is there's gobs and gobs of overhead you have to take care of as a self-employed person that you don't notice as an employee.