Whats in a name?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by fayte, May 17, 2008.

1. ZeHa

Original Member

Yes, I was aware of that, but in the case of Blizzard for example, the logo looks something like this:

BLIZZARD
    Entertainment

;-)

So I think it might be helpful to add the "gamey" word in another typeface so that it seems like it's not 100% tied to the name and can be omitted when you speak about it :) most people also say "id" instead of "id Software", and if you look at the logo, you'll notice that even from the beginning, the "id" was pretty big compared to the "Software", and nowadays, it's just "id" and they simply leave out the "Software".

Correct :)

2. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Hell, most people I meet say I.D. (as in "aye" "dee")

When it's actually just plain old id (as in "id", like "lid" and "did")

:)

3. fayte

fayte New Member

Alright, well just for those of you who care, we have finally come up with a name. I know you guys told me not to add production.games/studios ect. but we couldn't avoid it. Well without further ado here we go!

*drumroll*........

AEG - Almost Epic Games =] What do you guys think, catchy?

4. Sybixsus

Original Member

What do I think? I think it screams "hire a lawyer, Epic Games are on the phone". You might as well call yourself "I can't believe it's not Ubisoft". In short, I think a name which isn't almost(sic) identical to one of the best known (not to mention most capable of affording good lawyers) developers would be a wiser choice.

5. fayte

fayte New Member

To be honest, I've never even heard of Epic Games....

back to the drawing board...

6. ChrisP

Indie Author

They're rather well-known. To put it mildly.

May I suggest that you do a Google search on all the obvious variations and shortenings of names before you decide to put them in the "available" pool.

7. Nikos Beck

Nikos Beck New Member

"Almost Epic Games"... I /almost/ want to buy your game. Aside from the intellectual property and trademark issues, it sounds like you're selling yourself short. It's like you think your games are good but not quite great.

8. Rybo5000

Rybo5000 New Member

One of my teams is my surname written backwards.

9. fayte

fayte New Member

Well I don't really agree with that it's pretty much just a joke name, and it could also be used to intrigue people making them think "haha, who is "Almost Epic Games"?".

Also I don't believe a name has anything to do with the product (generally speaking), I mean none of SquareSofts games were about pillows were they?