Whats in a name?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by fayte, May 17, 2008.

1. fayte

fayte New Member

Hey guys, I'm having a problem (again =/ ). For those of you who haven't read my two previous topics I "manage" a team of 15 (was 11 added 4) members, and we are lacking what any and all good team has.... a name.

So my question for those of you who do have or are in teams (with names), where and how did you come up with the name for it? And do you have any suggestions on the best way to come up with a name that I won't regret years down the line?

P.S: I am sorry if this is in the wrong place, I've received plenty of help from the awesome members in my previous topics, so I only assumed this one would fit here as well. Again sorry if this is in the wrong place.

#1 fayte, May 17, 2008
    Last edited: May 18, 2008
  2. jpoag

jpoag New Member

Obviously you didn't watch Dilbert: the name is the first thing you have to choose!

In any event, if they aren't all working on the same project, then you should let each project choose it's name. It's a sort of empowerment and it helps with ownership issues (although it makes it harder when you cancel the project down the line).

Another Idea is to have a phase for adding names to a list, and then a phase for choosing it, where everyone participates.

Heck, do both!

3. chillypacman

chillypacman Guest

With math skillz like that I'd go for something mathematical. Like umm... the Calculatoids! Haha.

Seriously though, just pick any name that you like. There are a tonne of ways in which you can get inspiration, what I did was mix two words together and be like 'meh'. So you can come up with something like 'dead pixel games' you know?

Failing that look in a thesarus for interesting words and find synonyms for them and use those.

4. Leon

Original Member

Everyone else has given some great suggestions. I just wanted to list one of my favorites. Try sitting down with a pad and pencil(Or notepad, whatever works best for you) and think about your team. Then write down words that could be used to describe your team, your design ideals and your interests.

If your design ideals are more towards humor, try down humorous or silly things. Are you serious? Think of serious. Just try working out words and fitting them together like a puzzle. You can even try adding stuff like "Games" or "Gaming" to the end.

5. Christian

Original Member

6. fayte

fayte New Member

Oh jeez, I didn't even realize I did that =/ haha.

But we had a few names that we were going to make a poll of, but then I seen other people names and realized that our name was either too generic, or sounded like we were trying too hard to have a "cool" name.

7. Pogacha

Original Member

If you have problems choosing the name, I wouldn't like to imagine when you have to divide the income ...

8. fayte

fayte New Member

Well that's pretty much two totally different things and almost completely irrelevant, but anyways we came up with names such as globalsoft, global gaming, and new vision entertainment. I'm not really sure those names are attractive or appealing.

9. chillypacman

chillypacman Guest

I'm almost 100% sure new vision entertainment is taken.

bleh, pogacha beat me to it :p

10. fayte

fayte New Member

11. chillypacman

chillypacman Guest

suggestions:
    'Cranial Surgery Software'

'Big Test Games'

'Cattattack Games'

'contentious stare studios'

'Incurred Movement Machines'

'Garbelled Ordered Orderlies'.

'Tarnation Games'

Thank you, I'm here all week :D

12. fayte

fayte New Member

thank you mr chillypacman I will make sure to (not) write those down and discuss it with my team =]

What do you guys think about NeuVxon Productions

13. fayte

fayte New Member

well Neu we just wanted to change the way new was spelled =) and Vxon, i was toled my a teammate of mine who lives in the phillipenes (don't know how to spell it =/ ) told me that when people are text messaging or whatever else, and don't feel like typing they just shorten the word. so basically where she is from if they wanted to say vision they would spell it vxon

14. ZeHa

Original Member

Just imagine this situation: You tell somebody "hey, I've got a nice game company, just visit my homepage, it's called NeuVxon" - "Huh?!"
    Then you'd always have to spell it! That can be pretty frustrating...

Also, I don't think it's sooo cool to add "Games" behind every name, it's okay but it doesn't always sound good. Leave it out when you can. Also don't add "Soft" or "Software".

Apple is Apple. Blizzard is Blizzard. Sony is Sony. No matter if you like those companies or not, but they all sound better and more powerful than something like "Blue Sky Games" or something like that :)

15. chillypacman

chillypacman Guest

Dude, that's barely legible, newvxon? huh?

Even though my suggestions were jokes I do actually like 'Tarnation Games' :p haha.

16. Pogacha

Original Member

Suggestions, depending on your target:
    "Ice Slice Games"
    "Flat Siege Horizons"
    "Local Armageddon"
    "After Collapse"
    "Unfolded Space"
    "Irreflexive Point"

17. ZeHa

Original Member

Local Armageddon sounds cool ;) also it's great without the appended "Games", it sounds good and sticks into the head immediately, without sounding too constructed or ridiculous. But it still has a little humour of course, a little wink with the eye. This wouldn't fit with 100% serious games of course.

18. fayte

fayte New Member

So what you guys are basically telling me here, is that we should avoid using the "soft", "games", "production(s)", ect. at the end of our name?

19. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Apple=Apple Computer (inc)
    Blizzard=Blizzard Entertainment
    Sony=Sony Computer Entertainment of {territory}

Everyone abbreviates, but you don't have to help them. I think it's better to have something "gamey" in your name somewhere. But take the posters core point that you you don't have to spell it out in full each time.