What tools do you use to make video of your gameplay?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by oddvark, Jan 10, 2008.

1. oddvark

Original Member

Hi,

How do you guys go about making video's of your gameplay? I have a rather high framerate game I want to make a video of. I found a free video capture tool but it doesn't capture much beyond 20 frames per second. What video capture software can you recommend thats...um...free :)?

Also, if I want to post it, I would have to convert it to some smaller format. What formats do you recommend?

Thanks!

2. AJirenius

AJirenius New Member

I have been using Fraps.
    Fraps can record up to 30fps but if using the demoversion you will have a small watermark ("FRAPS") on the upper border of the movie.
    For editing I've actually just used MS MovieMaker. Works perfectly for my needs.

3. barrygamer

Original Member

Can you connect your PC to your main TV setup, then hit record on a set-top DVD recorder? I've done this, ages ago, to record some footage from PS2. Then just edit the DVD in whatever software you like. ie no capture software at all. It was a while ago, but I'm sure it worked fine... (perhaps not as sharp as a capture from PC? DVD recorder compression etc).

4. Sybixsus

Original Member

I use FRAPS, but I licensed it because it's pretty damn useful. No idea what the demo is like, beyond what was mentioned above.

Also, a new YouTube-for-games-style site was launched just recently with a focus on player-recorded videos. No idea how good it is, or even if it works with games other than the officially supported ones, but it might be worth a shot.

http://www.wegame.com/

5. OremLK

Indie Author

Another vote for FRAPS. It's not free though, just cheap; worth the price if you want to promote your game with videos.

6. ZeHa

Original Member

If you've got time, and your engine is well-built for this, you can also implement a hidden recording function in your game which basically records every keypress and every random event (or the random seed). Then, you just play your game, record all those events in the background, and later implement a function that recreates everything at your desired framerate and saves screenshots. Those can then be converted to a video. If your engine is able to recreate everything at any timestamp, you don't even have to worry about the framerate (if it drops because of all this screenshot creating), you just don't take the real timestamps, instead you just increment them by your desired amount.

But as I said, your engine has to be capable of this. If you're not able to recreate every situation from a timestamp, this might not work too well :)

7. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Was using FRAPS here too, although recently discovered the already mentioned www.wegame.com - might be worth testing.

With wegame I presume you cannot send the video ALSO to youtube and other major video sites...

8. Sybixsus

Original Member

You should be able to. I think it exports a standard format like WMV and I saw a comment from the man behind WeGame where he said that you could upload your videos anywhere. He hoped you would upload them to WeGame, but it wasn't required and it wasn't prohibited to upload them elsewhere.

9. Spore Man

Indie Author

Fraps will only do 3D, so if your game is 2D, "Quick Screen Recorder" works pretty well.

10. Deep Cover Interactive

I use GameCam, it has many features and you can personaly watermark your movies with your website domain or company name.

11. ChrisP

Indie Author

I've used Game Cam (Lite) as well, merely because it's cheaper than Fraps. :)

It's not the most polished piece of software I've used (you get what you pay for), but it works.

12. chanon

Indie Author

We used CamStudio to capture all the in-game video for this trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i_ZDD5r6C4

You can set the framerate however high you want (I think).

We ran the game in windowed mode and manually set the capture region to capture the client area.

Only some machines will be able to capture sound with it however.

13. Sysiphus

Original Member

when no 3d involved, in my experience nothing captured smoother than Camtasia, and there've been several mags that gave it full version of older 3.0 , which is way more than enough.
    The comercial thing is here:
    http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp

I am curious tho, if someone has some experience in capturing from a real time 3d game, with Taksi. http://taksi.sourceforge.net

14. oNyx

Original Member

Ye, CamStudio also worked great for me. Also windowed but OpenGL accelerated. More than 30fps couldn't be captured, however. I think it was bottlenecked by the bus speed (onboard gpu).

Other than that the method ZeHa explained works very well. The Quake3 engine for example lets you dump a demo (=game play recording) as a series of screenshots at whatever fps. If you already got demo recording/playback it's pretty easy to implement. TGA is very easy to write for example.

There won't be sound, however. But that can be done with a separate real-time pass. Of course there won't be a synchronization method in place, but usually that isn't an issue since the clips are pretty short (and therefore it doesn't matter if the sound gets desynced after a few minutes).

15. mooktown

Original Member

I installed WeGame to test it out and upon starting it up was presented with "In order to use WeGame, you need a WeGame.com account" for me, such an instant irritant equals an instant uninstall.

16. OremLK

Indie Author

Well, FRAPs won't do GDI, but I know it can record hardware accelerated 2D. So it just depends on how your game is coded.

17. Crimson Knight

Crimson Knight New Member

I use Fraps as well(commercial).

I record my game in its low FPS, then speed it up by almost 50%, add sound(if it doesn't have any) and compress it using VirtualDub.

18. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

How do you speed it up? In Movie Maker?

19. papillon

Indie Author

VirtualDub can adjust speed too, iirc

20. Bad Sector

Original Member

My 3D engine has embedded video recording (actually dumps the frames the separate files which i then use with mencoder to make a video file). In other cases, i use CamStudio and then VirtualDub.