What tools are used specifically for game designers

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by woahitsjc, Sep 16, 2016.

1. woahitsjc

woahitsjc New Member

Hi there!

I am fairly new into game development and just released my first game called Dreamland (made in Unity) on Google Play: bit.ly/2cpo8HE

Before that I made games based on tutorials and just looking up information online. As for developing my first game on my own, I found it quite challenging to put everything together as a game. I had lacked in areas such as art and UI, and that took me a lot of time to work on compared to other areas like programming.

The process of designing and testing was interesting for me because I constantly wanted to improve my concepts, mechanics and details of my game. I didn't really know much about Game Design at the time but after researching about the roles of a game designer, I knew that this is the path I would love to pursue. Right now, I am thinking of joining an indie team to get experience of the workflow.

So my question is, what are the necessary tools that game designers use in a team environment and how do they use it (methods)?

So far, I have made my designs from pen and paper and the unity editor. I have heard that the industry uses spreadsheet/word doc and documentations to help the team to understand what they need to do. If there is any links to the information on how the approach of using the tools, that would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Justin

2. Taka

Taka New Member

I haven't been in contact with many developers but I will talk from my experience of what tools I use in what situations.

Tools:
    1 - Google docs
    2 - LibreOffice or equivalent
    3 - IDE of the language you are using
    4 - Physical paper or basic drawing program with a graphics tablet
    5 - version tracking software or file system

Tips:
    1 - if you don't have a name in mind of the software or game you are creating don't push it
    2 - take things a step at a time
    3 - long term solutions not short term solutions.
    4 - Always have someone for checking

Explanations:
    Tools:
    1 - Google docs should be used for any information that needs to be shared and accessed from multiple computers.
    It it perfect for writing game Lore and managing the development of the game or program you are creating. This is because it has sharing options and you are able to see previous versions of the document.
    2 - Having an offline "google docs" is also important as most work you want to have access not only when you are connected to the internet. Having a backup saved on cloud or similar is nice but having easy access to program mechanic explanations and plans is nice.
    3 - This is pretty obvious as you cannot really develop any software without any soft of IDE so have whatever is needed for your task.
    4 - A simple drawing program or paper to draw on is in my book a necessity as visualizing problems ad functions helps progress past them. Being able to draw a flow chart of what the program needs to do to accomplish the task will help find what needs to be worked on. Using a program which takes too much focus will not allow you to focus on the problem so if you don't want to use paper go for a very basic program like Microsoft paint.
    5 - Storing previous code and development file versions is important. Whenever you do a large change to an algorithm or plan make a copy of the old version and save it somewhere safe as later down the line you way need to refer to it as the change may have caused problems or you just need a reference.

Tips:
    1 - I find that all software I have created the name has come up while developing the software and not while sitting down and planning out a name. If you are struggling and your software is at release level think of words that relate to the software, try find ones that flow together well. If the game has a "main" quest maybe reword it and turn it into the title.
    2 - Don't try do multiple tasks at once unless you have more than 2 people working on coding or drawing, etc. Focusing on a task and finishing it will be much more effective and cause more long term progress in the software instead of band aid solutions which need to be redone for every minor update to other code.
    3 - Relating to the previous tip, try to work on long term solutions and not short term, it is sometimes good to create a quick solution to test if a functions is working as intended but for the most part work to create finished code or art that can be expanded and not redone. Rewriting code multiple times or redrawing an image multiple times will increase its quality and your understanding of the task.
    4 - Have someone that isn't involved in the creation of your project who can look at the outcome. When working constantly you may think something is good enough as you are tempted to move onto something else that you think would be more entertaining to work on so it is important to have someone else evaluate your work.

woahitsjc likes this.
  3. SandmanZA

SandmanZA New Member

With regards to game asset creation especially with Unity, I use blender to model and uv unwrap all my models, I also export to the wavefront obj file format instead of using the fbx exporter as ive read a lot of guys do. Then I use GIMP to draw pretty much everything but also have inkscape on hand for drawing vector if needed. Oh btw you can export your UV layout from blender to use as a base in gimp. Finally I code in mono(yeah I know) which as you may know comes bundled with unity and that's pretty much a free solution for creating almost everything for my games!
    Sorry for the crappy formatting i wrote this post on my mobile.

4. FGL_Rozek

FGL_Rozek New Member

Enhance™ is a tool that should be in every mobile developers pocket!

So what is Enhance™ and how can it benefit you?

The short of it....

Enhance™ is the fastest and simplest way to integrate one or more SDKs into your project. With little to NO coding at all, Enhance™ will have you ready to roll in a matter of minutes. No more hours of coding, we are talking about minutes!
    Some services we offer with Zero Code require exactly that.... ZERO CODING! Setup a waterfall with multiple networks and even mediate it yourself from your Enhance™ dashboard.

We want you to see just how easy it can be to integrate 3rd party services (Ads, Mediation, Analytics, Attribution, Crash Reporting and more), so follow the link and get started : http://fgl.io/sjn

[​IMG]