What tool to use

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by eskyx10, Jul 31, 2014.

1. eskyx10

eskyx10 New Member

Hi,
    I am wanting to start to learn about game design and have been doing some online research and have discovered that there are many tools that can get me started. Like XNA unity, gamemaker etc. Just wondering your views on these tools and what are your recommendations on what i should do to start off. Help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Unity seems to be the favorite these days. I've heard almost no complaints.

3. Crichton333

Crichton333 New Member

The upcoming version 5 of Unity will be massive.

4. GaiaDreamCreation

Indie Author

Developer seems to go for Unity very often. I also saw several developers using GameMaker. The professional version of Unity is more expensive than GameMaker, but seems more advanced. Sometimes, GameMaker (or other tools) can do the full job. For example, I saw simple retro games made with GameMaker. I also believe in the HTML5 tools. Although HTML5 isn't fully mature, it looks good enough to make most of the games and there are opportunities emerging with the HTML5 games.

5. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I think some of the upcoming Unity changes will allow targeting HTML5/WebGL as a platform to build for.

6. GaiaDreamCreation

Indie Author

Yeah! Unity 5 is supposed to have HTML5 with WebGL support. There were some articles on Gamasutra.com a few weeks ago about the upcoming support. I can't wait for version 5 to come out. I have big hope in HTML5 as a publishing platform for indies. This is e interesting with the ease of Unity as a development platform, that looks like a great feature compared to other HTML5 engines where we have to set up a lot more about the game framework.