What should I added to this game?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by SD2020_, Dec 28, 2015.

1. SD2020_

SD2020_ New Member

Hello fellow Indie Developers!

I am currently working on a Java Applet Card game "Higher and Lower" I have done everything that I think will get me full marks in college which is including the stuff my tutor has asked us to do and the extra stuff I implemented myself.

My question is, What else should I add to this?

Screenshot of Applet Game.
    [​IMG]
    Info on Applet Game:
    So as you can see you have the cards in the middle and the two buttons on top to select Higher and Lower. When you enter credit the red text "Please Enter Credit!" turns to Green and says "You Have Entered Credit!". When you have entered credit the "0" on the top right turns to the amount you have added and the buttons become viable to click. When clicking the Buttons the next card is either going to be higher or lower, you have to guess. If you guess correct then you will be rewarded with double the amount of coins you had, or if you lose you will lose half the amount of coins you had.

I also have sounds for Error messages, win coins and lose coins.

What else can i add to this Java applet game! I want to try reach 100% on this assignment and I want to have the best stuff possible without overkilling it.

Any feedback would be amazing and maybe some comments on what you think of the applet game I am making regards to how it works and appearance.

Thanks for reading look forward to reading your reply's down below!

-SD2020_

Frozen Cube likes this.
  2. SD2020_

SD2020_ New Member

Anyone have any ideas?

3. sailanexa

sailanexa New Member

I don't get any new idea..

SD2020_ likes this.
  4. Pinky Alvi

Pinky Alvi New Member

based on your game screenshot, i think add graphic navigation instead type a bet amount :/
    and you can add highscore or achievement as well :)

SD2020_ likes this.
  5. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

Looks to much like solitaire. Which is cool, I love the classics as much as the next guy but...

You could really implement a custom sprite on the mouse, which would be a plus. Since it's easy to tell this requires point and click action.

SD2020_ likes this.
  6. SD2020_

SD2020_ New Member

See it's in the brief to have a text field along with a lot of other stuff that is included in the Java applet.

7. SD2020_

SD2020_ New Member

I like that idea of custom mouse Sprite!

8. GCVuxadin

GCVuxadin New Member

Hey SD2020,

I'm not too sure if this idea will be useful as it would potentially require a lot of work. (I'm not a coder so I'm honestly not sure).

However, why don't you try adding another 'game mode' as such? Imagine a 'Gauntlet' mode. The pay in to the mode can be 100 credits but if you make it to the end you will win 1000 credits?

So, I pay 100 credits, I then have 10 cards in a row and have to guess higher or lower, if I make it to the end I win 10x my input.

Just something I thought when checking this thread out. :)

Best of luck with your assignment and future studies,
    Vuxadin.

9. SD2020_

SD2020_ New Member

I actually added this into my assignment before I checked back on this thread :eek: I had it so you can only enter 10 credits in no more or no less. Then when you get 250 credits after playing you get a You Win screen and a reset button. Added more to display on screen and make it prettier and handed more Hd sound effects :) will know my mark hooefully tomorrow :) thanks for the help anyways :)

GCVuxadin likes this.
  10. GCVuxadin

GCVuxadin New Member

No problem glad I could provide some ideas :)

SD2020_ likes this.
  11. Frozen Cube

Frozen Cube New Member

A very small suggestion (but a suggestion none the less I suppose..) would be if you designed a "confirm" button to appear once you've placed a bet? I feel like it would clarify the flow of game play and reduce the margin for error (say, the player's mouse slipped and they hit the wrong button) ;)

12. fireside

fireside New Member

A visual representation of the chips going up and down from wins and losses would be kind of nice. And like someone else said, a slider or something, with increment arrows, so the player doesn't have to type the amount of the bet. It doesn't seem like much, but it's a pain if you've played a game like that.

13. Matrices

Matrices New Member

Are the cards at the bottom meaningful? If not, i'd move, shrink, and/or scrap them (or make them appear more auxilliary).

The directions text could be in an intro menu screen to help declutter the game window.

Possibility of showing statistical chances of card being higher or lower?

Fixed increment betting so user doesnt have to move hands from mouse to input number, just click a button. Is there a confirm bet button or does it auto bet when u click high low? It's always good to give the user a chance to review their decision, especially when there is risk involved

What class is this for? The reason I ask is that suggestions on getting more class credit will be based on what you're actually studying (HCI vs. UX vs. Programming vs. Game design)

14. MountainGuardian

MountainGuardian New Member

I notice my eyes are drawn to big open empty space to the right of the card and I was trying think of what I would put there, maybe showing poker chips there or something would visually fill the space not to mention as above adding an element to the game, unless you are using that as a place to put a card when the next card is being drawn or something. Poker chips are very commonly quite colorful, and artistic, a way of adding more visual aesthetics maybe. If that is where a card goes on the card turn over you could make a rectangle with some art work for where the card will set on. Just something to spice up the open empty area.

15. Lynnerbe

Lynnerbe New Member

I think you should add some graphic navigation and to have a parent class of what inheritance you have made.