What kind of Game should I make?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by kurdle, Jan 4, 2016.

1. kurdle

kurdle New Member

So, i'm a game dev and I use Unity. I want to make a game, but I don't know what genre or theme it should be/have. Just spout out game ideas you have, I guess. If I use your idea in a published game, i'll give you credit. And if I sell the game, you'll get a cut of the money

#1 kurdle, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  2. Sim

Sim New Member

Here's my theory. Any publicity is good publicity. One of my first released games will be very different. Since I mostly do freelancing, I am unable to do my own projects. But my game will based around targeting specific groups that have been news. I think about topics that have been trending for a long time (news, social media), then think about how I can incorporate it into a game. I don't know if its genius or fucked up, but o well.

If your a unknown developer, I think to get your game known you must really think outside the box. Game genre's that have been played over and over will be hard to get people's attentions. Some cool trending topics I think I might do good:

Help Trump become President kind of game (he's leading in polls), this one might have copyright issues though.

Behead ISIS. A game where your beheading ISIS people different ways. ISIS is known world wide and people hate those fuckers. A good psychological factor. I am sure everyone has thought about what ISIS would think if people beheaded them. I think people would try the game at least.

3. Telknor

Telknor New Member

I agree with Sim on the point of Thinking outside the box to get people's attention on the genre that have been rehashed over and over to death. You might do as I have done and add a game mechanic that hasn't been over used to a genre that it's not normally used in to achieve a different style of game. I took the classic FPS RPG and added procedural level generation to make each play through new and unique. The Indie studio We Are Bots helped on this as they use it in their game HullBreach.

DarthYasha and Sim like this.
  4. kurdle

kurdle New Member

Thanks for the replies, I may use some of your ideas! But currently I am working on a game somewhat based on the Hunger Games, plus a few interesting un-used mechanics.
    P.S. If you're good at animating, I could use some help (But you would be unpaid)

5. Telknor

Telknor New Member

If your doing a game in the style of Hunger Games I'm going to assume that your putting the player in a jungle or forest like setting as they did in the movie. With that in mind I would suggest looking into the Speed Tree software. http://www.speedtree.com/ It is available to Unity 5 and Unreal Engine 4. I am looking to use it in the game I'm working on now. I have used it in the past in a RTS game that was made by a fellow that wanted to push the 'real' factor to the limit in his tank game. I am not sure what happened to that game as I got pulled away from that project in it's final months to help test another game for bugs in closed Alpha testing. Back when I worked for a company kinda like Guru.com but for modders and testers. Not sure if that company still exist or not as I left due to payment issues for work done. Damn shame too because it was a nice gig.

Sadly I am not an animator by trade. My skills are more in static object modeling, concept art, story and plot development, and UI layout. I can aid in things like skill tree layouts, vehicle animation, weapon animation, some elements of level design, and testing for bugs in alpha and beta prior to release.

If I can spare time I'll help where I can until things get moving too fast in my own project. Even after my project is up and running full speed don't hesitate to ask about something chances are I ether know the answer or know someone who does. At the very least I will try and point you in the right direction. If I don't know the answer and just happen to not know anyone who does I'll flat out tell you that I can't be of any help on that subject.

6. Telknor

Telknor New Member

Another thing while it's on my mind. If your having issues with character modeling or animation then you might want to look into Miximo. https://www.mixamo.com/ Since I can't model characters at all I turned to them. Some stuff there is free and the stuff that is not is priced fairly. If you have custom characters like I did that have extra appendages they will assist you in rigging them and provide basic animations on request.

7. kurdle

kurdle New Member

Ya, i'm aware of mixamo, but I actually never thought of that... thanks!

8. Telknor

Telknor New Member

Good thing is right now Mixamo is giving away tons of stuff free. Even the stuff that normally cost a bit of money to get is free for the time being. You just need an Adobe ID to get the goodies. I love when big companies help the indie developers by giving away stuff that normally is out of reach price wise. A while back I managed to get free copies of Hexagon 2 , CopperCube 2.2, Daz Studio 4 pro (64bit), and Speed Tree 5 from a big promotion that Nvidia did to help jump start Indie studios that were cash starved.

I have not really used Daz Studio or Poser to often and never got into using Hexagon or CopperCube. I use StudioMax 8 and 10 and Sketchup Pro 2015 along with Gimp 2, Paint.net, and Photoshop 7. Though my copy of Photoshop crashed out on me about eight months ago and claims to be missing DLLs but all inquires to Adobe come back saying I'm not missing any needed files to run the software. So I gave up on it and I can't afford the latest current build of it so I go without.

9. Brycelor

Brycelor New Member

Here's a game idea:

Imagine you're an amorphous creature. No true shape. You awake in an earthly forest. You see a frog hop. Suddenly you can make your body take on the characteristics of that frog. You can hop, climb, shoot out your tongue, etc. Now a turtle comes by. Now you can give yourself a shell. I want to play a sandbox game where I can be anything I want to be, whenever I wish. I imagine puzzles in this world that I would be able to solve by using my abilities that I've gathered from various animals. There's so many ways to expand this game concept. So many ways to create new, innovative types of puzzles.

Just an idea.

10. Paper-Piano

Paper-Piano New Member

I don't have any ideas but i can compose music for your game.
    here are samples of my work.

If you want to use my music for your game email me at
    wiselypersonson@gmail.com

GamingSales300 likes this.
  11. Rekusi

Indie Author

Puzzle games can be pretty addictive with just the right tone. Something I've always had on the back of my mind is a 3d changing puzzle ball type game. You have a ball going through the labyrinth. Typical style where you have to balance the ball around holes, but the walls change/morph making it tricky to navigate. Or the entire map rotates around like a rubix cube after x seconds.

12. fireside

fireside New Member

Something that's just kind of come up in casual is hidden object games. Find a few on steam or big fish games to have a look. They make a good indie game.

13. kurdle

kurdle New Member

Well, I wouldn't be able to pay you, but it would be amazing if you made a soundtrack for my game. It would need to feel desolating/sad. : )

14. depad

depad New Member

I'd recommend not going down the MMO route, this genre seems to be dying. At the moment, a lot of simple 2D mobile games seem to be pretty popular, or simple browser MMOs such as Agar.io

15. Saneia

Saneia New Member

You could go the Telltale route.

Make the person's choices matter ; make them affect how other characters treat you , alliances you might have , who could help you if you get in a jam , etc. Like , for example , if you get your foot caught in a branch or something while going through a forest ; someone who you were nice to might stop and help you get out , but someone you don't get along with will just walk by like they don't see you.

DarthYasha likes this.
  16. Tarvin

Indie Author

Here's a question for you. What are you passionate about and what are your own interests? If the game is something you don't have a strong connection to you might not be able too put your full effort into it.

If you share that then i might be able to help you come up with ideas rather than hit or miss suggestions hoping that one might stick.

Also, just st what are your skills and what role would you fill?

17. Kirk Markarian

Kirk Markarian New Member

Something I've noticed is that their aren't many truly weird games being made. At least, none that I've found or heard of. Why aren't people making the games from a different point of view. Off the top of my head - if you wanted to make a first-person game, why couldn't it be about escaping from something that doesn't require guns. How about escaping from one's own mind, and the character may have some sort of disability or the puzzles require the user to think outside the box? Like, way outside, not by patterns or repetitive actions. As mentioned above, a hidden item game is really neat - how weird can it get?

18. Tarvin

Indie Author

What you described reminds me of Psychonauts almost exactly. And no, not many games have heen made like that that i am aware of.

Kirk Markarian likes this.
  19. Kirk Markarian

Kirk Markarian New Member

Tarvin,
    Thanks for pointing that out! I'm still learning a lot about gaming in general, I haven't seen anything in quite a while. I took a look at Psychonauts, and I think I definitely need to be more descriptive. Psychonauts is a cute game and not creepy, and it doesn't seem to touch on what I'm trying to say, so I'm going to give it another go -

What I meant is this: Take the main character's mind, give them a serious case of a real mental issue, i.e. Autism or Depression or Psychosis, and have the main character working on escaping their issue via puzzles that don't make sense to the general public. This game wouldn't be cute like Psychonauts. A really quick/poor example would be taking the movie "The Cell" starring Jennifer Lopez, except the player/main character is the antagonist - they would realize their thoughts aren't pleasant and try to undo them - to fix themselves. "The Cell" takes place primarily in the mind of the serial killer and Jennifer Lopez is seeking answers. So even "The Cell" isn't spot on. It's just the closest example I could think of.

Seeing as everybody's mind works differently, solving the puzzles would have to be done in a bizarre fashion that wouldn't really make sense on a normal level. Not only that - what is "right" for one person isn't "right" for every person. The puzzles could have multiple choices.

Whaddaya think?

20. Tarvin

Indie Author

I think this has shifted to something that could be it's own new topic now. Might be some interesting thoughts on it out there.

Kirk Markarian likes this.