What is the best learning process and resources for getting started to make video games?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by OnyxOtaku, Jul 24, 2016.

1. OnyxOtaku

OnyxOtaku New Member

Hello, I've wanted to make video games for a long time and tried learning programming C++ when I was in college, however I felt that I tried learning how to run before I could crawl as I struggled horribly and barely passed the class. After doing a little bit of research, I've learned that it's recommended to start out with a simpler language such as Python and then over time moving into C++. I was planning on learning how to program in Python, then move onto Java, and then to C++, is this a good idea? If so, what books or other resources would you recommend to help me learn these languages? There are tons of books out there but what books are written in the best way to apply to the reader as someone with little to no programming knowledge?

Once I feel comfortable in C++, I would like to make clones of games such as Pong, then Chess, then Pacman, then Mario, and then Sonic to help me become comfortable in 2D gaming programming and designing in addition to resume building. Once I feel comfortable in C++ programming, I plan to learn game engines such as Unity and Unreal Engine to make 3D games along with 3D modeling software such as 3DS Max and Maya. Does anyone know of any good books and resources to help with learning these engines and software?

Does my process logic make any sense as far as stepping stones to learning game development? In simpler terms, I plan to learn programming, then gaming engines, then 3D modeling, once I'm done with that, I plan to make my own gaming projects and go to gaming events such as GDC to network with people who work in the industry. I already know a bit about 2D art and graphic design but I really want to learn about game development. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, like I mentioned before, I would really like to know what resources to use to get started, thank you for your time. :)

2. sudo.radish

sudo.radish New Member

Hey!

I am new to modern game making myself. Not touched it since the good old C64 days. I have downloaded GameMaker Studio and Unity and I am just tinkering with them and learning as I go. Youtube seems full of good videos on various techniques and such with game programming. I am at work where youtube is blocked (boo!) but I recall a good c++ tutorial series which went through making a basic text parser for a text adventure, upto a simple pong clone.

3. OnyxOtaku

OnyxOtaku New Member

Thank you for your response. I have heard of Gamemaker, is that more geared towards 2D flash games though? How is Unity working for you? I never actually studied any game engines yet so that is completely new territory for me. ^^; Are you by any chance using any books to help you learn though?

Yeah, I've taken a look at some YouTube videos that deal with programming as well, have you heard of a YouTuber named Bucky? He sounds pretty helpful. ^_^

4. sudo.radish

sudo.radish New Member

Unity is a bit of a learning curve. But it is not impossible. GameMaker is for 2D. But it is not geared towards flash. Here is a test video of a game I am working on.

It will be a stand alone .exe when I finish. I am also working on a arcade style affair that I use to test concepts. Depends what you want though. I aim to stick to mainly 2D. I also got this book to help with GML.