What have you tried?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by noahbwilson, Jul 21, 2016.

1. noahbwilson

Indie Author

I can make a game like nobody's business (I like to think), but I can't get people to play it. What ways have you tried to get people to play.

Me?
    Facebook - My friends are old and don't play games, except Pokemon Go. (I have tried paid ads to no avail)
    Twitter - Who really pays attention to that anyway?
    Youtube - No boobs? No one cares. (I have tried paid ads to no avail).

I will be trying AdMob next.

2. Rekusi

Indie Author

Your friends are old and dony play games? If they are really friends they will play yours for feedback and testing purposes. I hounded a bunch of friends to no end. Eventually I had friends telling friends. I initially only had about 50 or so downloads from people I know, but that was enough for Apple. Apple has a funny way of rotating games to the front page. It took a few months, but I eventually had about 800 downloads. I never got too much momentum in the Google, but I honestly didnt try that hard, either.

3. Rekusi

Indie Author

4. noahbwilson

Indie Author

My friends do basically suck when it comes to helping. They're not ambitious, believe me. They don't play games unless they're super-popular. I can get games tested, but I guess I meant that me trying to use 'word of mouth' is not an option.

I get 'decent' downloads. I have one game Six Pack Man that is >2,200 downloads, but I'm sure it's just because it is very search friendly on Apple's store.

I am currently trying to 'abuse' Twitter to gain fans. Basically 'following' people who are gamers, then they might follow me back, and then I just unfollow them. It's time consuming, but I've got 70 followers in about 2 weeks.

Thanks for the heads up on the site. I'm contemplating rebooting that site and making it simpler anyway.

5. Rekusi

Indie Author

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Sometimes its even just about the followers!

6. idurvesh

idurvesh New Member

Never did marketing ....But I think making gif and trailer is highly essential .....Share it on reddit, send it to youtube reviewers,tweet it and tag journalist....

PS: May be send video gameplay to your friends and ask them to review that...

Loves to test games myself so please give me link too :)....

7. noahbwilson

Indie Author

jak_king and idurvesh like this.
  8. idurvesh

idurvesh New Member

Wow that game looks kickass....Background suit very well

Liked Cannibal as well...Does those meme really get show while playing game?

9. noahbwilson

Indie Author

I'm not sure what you mean.

10. idurvesh

idurvesh New Member

This one

there are memes in middle of gameplay...are they in actual gameplay?

11. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Yeah, I think you lost me on how you are using the word 'meme'. The clips from the movie are not in the game. I have reanimated some of the scenes from the movie so that the Player knows the plot.

12. idurvesh

idurvesh New Member

Oh I do not have sound in my this system so can not hear anything..had to guess what's it :D