Web hosting recommendation.

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Mike Boeh, Jan 5, 2007.

1. dma

dma
    Expand Collapse

For $5.95 per month, like the previously mentioned Servage.net, it's probably safe to say that you can't take that transfer number seriously. Amazon's S3 service would charge you $1,080 for 6 TB of data transfer. (A little on the pricey side, but at least, more realistic.) You'd only get 33 GB of bandwidth for $5.95 from Amazon. That's still a healthy amount as you could download a typical 20 MB casual game 1,650 times with that much, giving you $320 in sales at a 1% conversion rate

Even the 600 GB of storage space is kind of laughable, as at today's hard drive prices, (about $140 for 500 GB) it would take them nearly 2 years to break even at $5.95 per month.

When it comes to cheap hosting plans, I'd take all claims of high transfer rates and storage with a grain of salt. They make these claims, but bet (correctly) that the vast majority of people won't use but a very tiny fraction of those numbers. Those who do use more will most likely be mysteriously cut off.

2. LmT

LmT
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the information. I suppose I'll do more research before making a final decision on my own professional website. Instead of spamming this thread, shall we continue this conversation via PM?

3. GolfHacker

GolfHacker
    Expand Collapse

FYI - I just signed up with Liquid Web this past week, and am very impressed. Their support staff is top-notch - they helped me resolve some config issues that I encountered while setting up my vBulletin forum. They were prompt and courteous. Oh, and yes - I did credit Indie Gamer when I signed up!

4. jlv

jlv
    Expand Collapse

While I have my doubts that my current host (Lunarpages) could actually deliver the 15000 GB that they claim, they really did serve up 80 GB for me last month with no problems. I would have been 20 GB over with Liquid Web for twice the rate.

My only gripe with Lunarpages is that you can't reliably get your httpd logs.

5. Brent

Brent
    Expand Collapse

Same just signed up you should be geting credit.

6. svero

svero
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Im hosting Twilight on Liquid (different box from indiegamer) and last week or so I ran into some trouble with some folks hitting the server with hack attacks. They didn't get in but the attacks were causing some trouble. I would say that Liquid's tech support was EXCELLENT through this. They were very helpful. I can continue to recommend them.

7. flyaflya

flyaflya
    Expand Collapse

I use www.webfaction.com for my django site, I thinks it's the best choice for making cgi site using python or ror. for PHP, we have more choices. like bulehost, site5...

8. Crunch

Crunch
    Expand Collapse

Combined web & SVN hosting?

Hey all, I ran through the list of recommended Subversion hosts that was recommended on their sight, and didn't really see a great price/performance setup for hosting both an SVN repository and a website.

I don't really want to fork over enough for a virtual or dedicated server just yet. Does LiquidWeb allow SVN hosting on their standard web host accounts?

Anyone have any experience with such a beast?

Thx!

9. Jack Norton

Jack Norton
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

I was thinking the same so I got an hostgator shared hosting to test the potential. 55Gb delivered last month, but unfortunately reading the AWStats I found quite many 503 "server too busy" errors (about 35-40).
    For some people that isn't a problem (I use that as extra mirror for example), but if a potential customer tries to download the game and see that message (and is your only hosting) that would be bad... I guess that's the tradeoff if you use shared instead of dedicated server. Of course, a shared account can cost 1/10 of dedicated one, so probably in the beginning is worth it.

10. Diragor

Diragor
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

How cheap does it have to be? Slicehost's cheapest VPS is only $20 and I've read lots of glowing reviews of their services. That's where I plan on going if I ever have a serious website to deploy. Until then, Dreamhost is good enough for the tiny amount of money I'm charged.

11. Jack Norton

Jack Norton
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Liquidweb phone verification madness!

edit: np, after a chat, they decided the phone call wasn't needed :)

#31 Jack Norton, Jun 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  12. e_barroga

e_barroga
    Expand Collapse

Home server.
    :)

13. magallanes

magallanes
    Expand Collapse

Home server can be a option versus a housing but it's impractical in comparison with a inexpensive $8xmonth server.

14. Arion

Arion
    Expand Collapse

hello, I really don't have a clue on which plan I should choose for web hosting but it seems Liquid web would be my 1st choice in the future after reading the posts in this topic. Can someone explain what do the different packages on liquid's website mean and what are their advantages? I'm really sorry but I'm not well informed in this subject - any help would be appreciated.

15. Maupin

Maupin
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

You need to say what you're going to do with the hosting before anyone can recommend a plan to you.

If you're just going for a basic static/db driven website (company site, game homepage) then the $14.95 standard web hosting plan is probably what you want. (Though 60 GB transfer per month seems very low to me. I pay $14.50 a month at Webfaction for 1200 GB transfer. 60 GB is probably not enough to serve as the only host of a semi-popular downloadable game.)

If you plan on running lots of server-side programs or doing heavy database or custom software installs, you probably want a dedicated server or VPS.

16. magallanes

magallanes
    Expand Collapse

I checked my always-parked site in : www.000webhost.com

i don't known what is the catch because :
    1 ) it's free.
    2 ) ads free.
    3 ) plenty of space.
    4 ) quite decent speed.
    5 ) you can use a real domain.

17. Maupin

Maupin
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

If you read user reviews at FreeWebHostingTalk, user's accounts are terminated without explanation and any requests as to why are only met with an autoreply from their support ticketing system.

You get what you pay for.

(FreeWebHostingTalk eventually banned mention of 000webhost because they were getting overrun with shady affiliate links advertising the site.)

18. Arion

Arion
    Expand Collapse

i've heard from a friend that hostmonster.com offers cheap packages for hosting - are there people who have used their service before?

19. magallanes

magallanes
    Expand Collapse

It's good to known it, at least my parked site is still alive.

20. ashburnham

ashburnham
    Expand Collapse

Always been with 1&1 and never had any major problems. They do seem to need a kick up the backside when the server goes down (i.e. a phone call) and always seem unhelpful saying simple things may take 48 hours but normally done within the hour.