[WANTED] Programmer (Per sample basis)

Discussion in 'Help Wanted (PAID ONLY)' started by The_Jake, Mar 22, 2008.

1. The_Jake

The_Jake New Member

Introduction:
    Hello guys. My name is Jake. I'm part of a team working on an XNA game (shooting low). Well, I guess it's time to ask for some help

Brief description:
    I have an XSI model (can be exported to X and FBX as you already know) that I want it rendered in XNA with shaders. I want this sample written in a way such that it is easy to use for a 3D modeler (right click ---> add the file into the project in VS express, change the name of the model in the draw call, click debug and voila it works). I know this sounds simple (3 lines of code to display the model) but it isn't since I don't know HLSL. This will serve as a model viewer in a sense.

I'll provide the 3D model in the format required along with a render and the XSI shaders used. The XNA viewer output must match the provided render.

Target aim:
    This is part of the current project we're working on. We're shooting for a commercial release. Any further details will require a mandetory NDA. If you want to add this under your portofolio, that's fine, assuming you take the job and get it done.

Compensation:
    You will be paid for this task. let me know what your rates are and how fast you can get it done (the usual "time is money" issue)

Technology:
    This sample must be written in XNA Game Studio Express, therefore the expected languages to be used here are C# and HLSL. You may use any tool you like for HLSL as long you provide the name of the tool. The sample must run on Windows and the Xbox 360.

Talent needed:
    A programmer with knowledge in both C# and HLSL.

Team structure:
    Currently the team consists of 4 members. 1 "lead" programmer, I myself know C# so I can assist in some tasks and finally we have a modeler and a concept artist as well.

Contacts:
    You can reach me at alkandarib@yahoo.com or carmaine.fallsmeyer@gmail.com.

Previous Work by Team:
    As far as game design goes: None.

#1 The_Jake, Mar 22, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  2. Backov

Original Member

A lead programmer's not much good if he can't figure out HLSL.

That said, I suggest you (or your programmer) go to developer.nvidia.com and download FX Composer. Play with it. Look at the examples. Read shader books.

The stuff exported from FX Composer can be used just about directly in XNA, IIRC, and it gives you a good learning environment.

Your other option is ShaderFX for your modellers, if they are using Max. It's another very good tool that allows your artists to visually create the shaders with nodes. Again, should export to XNA no problem (it's only other engines like Ogre that require tweaking of the exported .fx)

You can't do a commercial game for XNA without someone knowing something about HLSL. Bite the bullet.

3. The_Jake

The_Jake New Member

Thanks for the input Jason. Trust me if it was easy to find a lead programmer we would've done that.

There is a reason why we asked for a sample. I myself am an image processing engineer and mostly use MATLAB. The point is we can learn HLSL as we go through it, but there is absolutely no reason why we should stop making progress just because we don't know HLSL.

If you don't want to take the job that's fine, just don't ruin the opportunity for someone else.

4. Backov

Original Member

Que?

I don't want to ruin this stellar opportunity, believe me. Just trying to give you some advice.

5. The_Jake

The_Jake New Member

I should probably edit that. I guess "lead" can do the job (Quotation marks). Thanks.