Want to start making "shoe money"

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Swattkidd, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Swattkidd

Swattkidd New Member

Hey everyone, I have been programming games for quite a while now and am currently getting my degree in computer science (for whatever thats worth :p) and I want to start making some "shoe money." I have no idea why I refer to it as shoe money but basically I just want to start making some chump change (as in $100 a month would be fine). I want to be able to buy some basic things, shoes, clothes or books through games I make.

You are probably wondering why I don't just get a job if I want to be able to buy things or help out at home, but I am not looking to make a lot of money but just want to prove to myself that I can make some money through my games and what not.

I realize making money from games is not easy but what I am basically asking is in which way should I go about this? I do not have the time to be working full time on fully polished games and what not but just want to work on small projects that may bring in a bit of money. I have started to learn flash and thought I should maybe put my games up on portals with mochi-ads or something but any other suggestions or advice would be great.

Thanks

2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

With flash you can get sponsorships, but if you hope to make $100/month from mochiads (or any other ad system), think again. I made $100 in over a year O.O

3. Swattkidd

Swattkidd New Member

oh ouch, so you are suggesting I should go more the route of trying to get sponsored from a portal through FGL or something similar to that? Any other suggestions? Because, although I know this sounds a bit messed up, but I do not have enough time to be able to put out high quality polished games each month.

What I mean by that is that I realize I will not be making the games I want to make, which are my larger projects. I am going to be making these quick games with the purpose of making a quick buck.

Also thanks for the reply!

#3 Swattkidd, Sep 26, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  4. meds

meds New Member

>(as in $100 a month would be fine)

Someones aiming for executive level wages :|

5. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I was thinking that calling a 100 bucks a month chump change might upset a few people. I think he's a guy in my camp! :)

For example, I think the bulk of iPhone developers make one dollar a month based on reports from around here.

You can do well in the indie space, but you have to do it full on using an art budget and making your game all it can be. Doing things the way you say you are going to will result in epic fail.

6. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I'm not a flash expert but I think is much better to get sponsored. Also, your definition of smaller games is vague :)
    A really CRAP game, is not going to be sponsored and you're going to make $0 income. I suggest you put some little effort and work at least 1-2 months on a game. Then if you get sponsored for even $1k, you have your $100/month for almost one year!
    If you search around there are many thread about flash revenues with some more relevant opinions than mine.

7. JGOware

Indie Author

With the up most respect, I think Mr.Norton's Flash experience is the worst I've ever read about. :( Yah..you can make shoe money fairly easy. I think the most important thing to do is pick a plan of attack and give it proper time to succeed or fail. The worse thing you can do is try one thing and give up. Since your goal is "shoe money" you have the advantage of not really worrying about typical developer constraints. Just do what you want, release it, move on to the next thing. Do you really care of it makes 20.00 or 2000.00? Get a decent page up, wrap it with ads, etc. Come back in 6-12 months and let us know how your doing. ;) Good luck!

FGL isn't really worth it anymore unless you're trying to get a premimum game sponsored, and those games have to be frickin good. At the 1k or less level, there is just way too much competition now. So many college kids making decent games, selling them for 50-200.00, etc, etc.

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

No, I'm the first to admit that my flash experience was terrible. Mostly because I tried to sell a genre (visual novels) to the most wrong public ever (young males interested in killing stuff) :)
    What you mean is that you can make $100/month with mochiads ? or other ads system? I thought the ads were quite horrible CPM those days...

9. JGOware

Indie Author

The best ad revenue by far is from CPMStar. If you want to start an ad based revenue stream via website or ingame, I would look into that first.

http://cpmstar.com/

#9 JGOware, Sep 26, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  10. electronicStar

Original Member

Getting on the CPMStar program is practically impossible if you're not sponsored.

11. Swattkidd

Swattkidd New Member

Hey guys thanks a lot for the responses, and I understand what you guys are saying. By a "simple" or "quick" game I don't mean I am going to just spray crap all over portals, but I mean it more in the sense of making a quick game for the sake of selling to make some money, as opposed to working on a game I want to make and hope it becomes the next Minecraft.

I am curious as to what type of games and maybe features I should implement in these quick games. From what I gather is that I should really implement the API's for MochiAds or whatever I use and also go with themes such as Holidays or whatever.

12. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Couldnt you just affiliate a bunch of games and try and make 100 a month from those affiliates?

13. Swattkidd

Swattkidd New Member

Hmm I heard of this before but do not really know what it means or what it is about. What do you do?

14. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

You set up a website and try and sell other people's games from it. You get a cut of the sale, they get a cut of the sale.

Have a look at BMT's affiliate programme.

15. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Seriously - don't take this too personally, but you sound like a 12 year old who is pissed off cos he didn't get a raise in his allowance. Like "f*** you, mum and dad - I'll pay for my own damn shoes".

Even if you set up an affiliate website as suggested, it won't magically start making any money. You need to attract visitors and lots of them. Most visitors won't even download anything. And only a tiny percentage of those that do, will go on to buy something.

So if you don't have a clue about SEO, or money to invest in advertising (which I guess you don't if you're sitting there in your socks), I'd forget this option.

16. Swattkidd

Swattkidd New Member

How is that? All I said is that I just want to start making a bit of money from my games, the reason I called it "shoe money" was to point out the fact that I am not expecting to make 5000 dollars a month with some cheap flash games. Also, I am not making this money because I am sitting in my socks (yes I know you were being sarcastic) but its more to get started making money from programming and proving to myself and others that I am not just "playing" on the computer.

and I don't think an affiliate program would be right for me because I would need to be able to bring in quite a bit of traffic in order to get a decent percent of downloads let alone buys.

However that does kind of bring up another point, instead of making games to just quickly sell, putting up my games on my own site and slowly gaining a nice traffic flow which would also be good for affiliating games etc. However this approach is much more long term and would require some really interesting traffic driving games, which I just dont have the time to do yet.

#16 Swattkidd, Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  17. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

I think understand what you want - It's not about making money as much as it's about you wanting to get a little something back from your game making hobby :)

You're testing the water of the game development industry, to see if it's something you like and might want to take further. It's also experience in making games of salable quality, and experience with transactions and customers on the internet.

ps. why are smilies disabled in the forum? :confused:

18. JGOware

Indie Author

ok.. call me confused. I didn't see any of that in his first post at all??

19. Moose2000

Moose2000 New Member

Yeah, I didn't get "pissed off kid" from that post. It seems like a reasonable aim - make enough money to know you've tested the whole process from beginning to end.

The big problem is that making and selling a game really isn't linear. It's not like you can say, well, minecraft makes a million a month (or whatever), so if I want to make a hundred I just need to create something 1/10000th as good. The graph goes no money... no money... no money... a pittance... a living. (Then whoosh.) Aiming for the pittance is an interesting and tricky proposition.

There's a few competitions going on at the moment as various companies try to lure developers into their app stores, and aiming at them is quite a realistic approach to making some-money-but-not-a-living. Intel seems to have a constant chain of them (I won a nice chunk in the last round: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/contest/intel-atom-developer-challenge-winners). Palm has one that's about to end, but may well kick off another. I think Nokia has something going on. Worth a look.

20. GDI

GDI New Member

Haha, Wellington is really beautiful, I visited there while scouting for colleges years ago.

On the other hand, my philosophy is that if I'm going to be selling collections of 1s and 0s to people sitting in their rooms staring at screens, it doesn't matter where I live as long as I have a roof, electricity, internet, and pizza -- it's not like I'll be going out to get some fresh air anyway (so it doesn't matter even if there's none).

Back on topic, I am like the topic poster since I also want to prove to myself that I can make a 'commercial-quality' game. I ended up diving headfirst into the project -- hey I might as well make something I really want to make. I'm already investing thousands of dollars in art assets and am ready to write those off in the chance the investment will never be recouped... I've spent worse on hundreds of Lego sets and video games over the years so if I can fore-go that new car I've been eyeing and making do with what I've got for just a few more years, it's about the equivalent in terms of money allocated.

Exactly. Read the Long Tail and 1000 True Fans? I don't believe that anymore. As the App store has proven time and time again, you just have to reach that critical point of 'Bestseller' or 'Featured' in order to become a bestseller. People have too many media options nowadays so they will not look for something different (I was the only one stupid enough to do so in the past) -- they expect others to already pre-judge what's out there for them so can be assured that the time (not just money) they're investing will already be for the best of the best.

I used to be afraid of trying to hit it big. Now I realize I have no choice but to either make a killing, or be ready to pack up and move on.