Valorware has 2 project slots available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by RukiWelknet, Oct 22, 2007.

1. RukiWelknet

RukiWelknet New Member

This is a resource for graphics artists/ story developers with little programming skills.

We are a company dedicated to developing 2D RPG's, using our Flight Engine v1.0 coded in C++. Our main advantage over current competitors is speed and efficiency of our engine, combined with excellent flexibility.

In short, we will take care of all programming, implementation, marketing and distribution. We ask that you provide storyline, graphics and guidance.

This is a free service, we do not expect any monetary investment from you, as we are a new company and we are in it for the experience and reputation growth. Although these will be our first projects under the Valorware name, we do have experience in game development (See the archive section on our website).

We aim for commercial releases on Windows and Linux, until we have enough titles to apply for hand-held console licenses. Earnings from sales will be distributed fairly, please visit the site for more information.

For more information please visit www.Valorware.com and navigate to the 'Service' section.

Thankyou for your time,

Tom, Valorware Management

2. Maupin

Original Member

Just looking over your site, I see neither an example of what the engine is capable of nor any hints about what form the provided game content should be in. The latter suggests a long, slow, painful game creation process.

Just guessing, but I don't think you've tried to create a game in your engine yet and so haven't seen the entirety of the amount of work involved... work that will be compounded by trying to translate the artist's content into whatever form your engine requires.

Might I suggest you put a front-end on your engine and allow the content providers to create the games themselves?

At the very least, finish a small RPG yourself using the engine.

3. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I'm not sure this is a bad offer, if we are reading it correctly (I'm seeing what you are seeing Maupin) it might be placed into the help wanted category as:

Team of programmers looking for artist/designers who will create RPG content for our game engine that we will incorporate. No money up front, back-end royalties, if any, will be shared.

4. papillon

Indie Author

... well, rather, it read as 'Trying to get around not having any money to offer for our help-wanted position, since we're not allowed to post unpaid positions there' :)

Which doesn't make it a bad deal for the right person, but this may not be the place to find that right person... Dunno.

5. RukiWelknet

RukiWelknet New Member

I am aware there is not much information on our new engine, we were trying to get the application process ready as soon as possible, and so havn't had much time to develop demos of what our engine is capable of.

The archive on our site displays some information of our previous game which was made using a much worse engine. However, it was an online game ( MORPG ) with a few regular players, entirely written by our team. Just before we abandoned the project (due to our lack of storyline and motivation to maintain a small MORPG with little prospect of return), the old engine was supporting huge maps, lots of animations and was running at a steady 50fps.

Our new engine supports a lot more functionality and is a lot more flexible. It also has refined drawing techniques and is running at 300-400 fps, often just a 2ms time lapse between frames, 1ms is processing time and 1ms is sleeping time. We are confident our engine is better than a lot of stuff out there, including the 2D version of Blitz (we tried the demo versions and they were incredibly slow when rendering lots of things at once), but as we have just started looking for applications we have no previous work other than the archived game on the site, running on an old engine.

We are simply offering our service in the hope that it will suit someones needs, and ultimately help us both out. If the position does not seem to suit your needs then please refrain from negative comments. We are aware of the amount of work involved in creating games, and there is more content rich explanations on how to develop images for our engine to support in our forum (some of which are private posts for clients only).

"At the very least, finish a small RPG yourself using the engine." - We are a team of 2 programmers, with not much graphical or story development experience, which is why we are trying to start up this way.

6. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Hi Ruki, I have seen a couple of people post a "please refrain from negative comments" in the past few days. Since you are asking for people to commit a lot of time and effort for no $ you should expect that we apply critical thought to what you are offering. Several of us felt that your post was at least a little misleading so it's not surprising that people are raising questions.

I think what you are offering is of value to the right artist - the ability to drive the design will appeal to some folks - but unless people are saying "you suck" without rhyme or reason then part of what this forum offers is access to folks who know what they are doing and are going to speak their mind. There is value in that.

7. RukiWelknet

RukiWelknet New Member

I understand where you are coming from, lennard, but I feel the need to do my best to defend our position before we are simply disregarded.

Just to clarify - money is earned on sales, as stated in our terms, so our proposition does ask "people to commit a lot of time and effort for no $", there is just no upfront payment.

Our service is here for anyone that wants to apply anyway, let me remind you that this is what we are offering, and the reason why I posted it in this forum.

8. jeb_

Indie Author

Hehe, something tells me you've been playing a lot of Dransik Classic :)

I don't think your proposal is necessarily "bad", but maybe you will have a hard time finding an artist that will work under those circumstances. Sure, it's great to be able to design your game without programming skills, but you can already do that with MMF and similar tools.

One thing you could try, if you don't find any artists, is to publish the engine and tools as freeware, but with a license agreement that games made with the tools may not be commercial projects unless you take part. In other words, people will be able to create free games (as with MMF*) and build a community for you (as with MMF...), and after a while more experienced and talented artists will emerge that are willing to cooperate with you. That's only a theory, of course, but I think it would be a good investment marketing-wise.

* MMF isn't free, but the games created with MMF are.