Using "Mac" in Google's Adwords

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Maupin, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Maupin

Original Member

Ugh. Surely others (Mac devs?) have run into this extreme annoyance. Google won't let me advertise Mac games using their Adwords service, because I'm using Apple's trademark "Mac" in the text of the ad. All I can do is slightly alter my ads daily to get them reapproved for another 24 hours.

I had this issue last year, and eventually gave up on Google after they suggested I have Apple's legal department contact them on my behalf to whitelist my use of Apple's trademarks. Yeah... like that's going to happen. I did send email to Apple's legal department anyway, but of course heard nothing back. Now that Mac games are beginning to sell, I'd like to advertise them. After complaining to Google again and pointing out exactly and in detail how my ads comply with Apple's guidelines for 3rd party use of their trademarks, I just this morning got another form letter telling me they require "direct authorization from the trademark owner." :(

Of course there are a shitload of Mac this and Mac that Adwords ads out there. So something doesn't add up.

By the way, I have switched to Yahoo for most of my search ads - after using Google for years, Yahoo's system is much easier to work with. It's just that when it comes to Mac users I expect more of them to search with Google than Yahoo.

2. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

Those who are using Mac in their adwords have gotten authorization, I would expect you'll get something back from Apple.

Surprised that you saw Yahoo as better. I did a 2 month test using channels to test the same ad and games between the two ad providers and GoogleAds won in a landslide. It may just be due to what we are advertising though :).

3. Maupin

Original Member

Well, I just sent another request for permission off to Apple's trademark issues email address. Hopefully this time I'll get a reply beyond the auto-reply.

I can't directly compare the results between Yahoo and Google's ad networks, because until now the ads I've run on Google have been for another, not-game-related site. But I find creating ads and managing campaigns easier on Yahoo. However I just discovered Yahoo has recently dropped all phone support, which a few times I found really helpful, and that isn't a good sign.

4. george

Original Member

last i discussed with google (about 6 months ago) you can use "mac" in your keywords, however not in the actual ad text. however this may have changed...

5. Maupin

Original Member

Actually, in one of my searches on how to deal with this issue I found someone mentioning trying that trick... and it didn't work.

6. Maupin

Original Member

Almost a month later, and yet again no response from Apple. :mad:

I've replaced "Mac" with "OS X" in the ads, and apparently that isn't an outlawed trademark. Not as good as "Mac" however, and I get about 10% false hits from Windows users. Luckily in most cases they can be redirected to a Windows version of the game/page.

7. Spore Man

Indie Author

Pretty lame of Apple. Isn't software for their platform a good thing?

8. electronicStar

Original Member

I think "OS X" is the generic term used for apple advertisement. I see it a lot.

9. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Just stop making mac products and let Apple have what they clearly want - a decline in business to the point of closing. And then there'll be one less format to worry about! :)

10. Acord

Acord New Member

Well, this would only be a good idea if MS starts making an OS for users instead of trying to please the RIAA and Hollywood and the Gov(yay backdoors!) and then trying to charge people to dictate how they use their PCs.