Updated Demo of FleaFall, feedback requested

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Berb, Apr 3, 2005.

1. maksum

Indie Author

For me it's the same reason I don't buy Lux, Break Quest, Pretty Good Solitaire, Richochet, Derelict, or several of the other games that people around here make. I just don't have the budget. There are LOTS of games that really impress me, but if I purchased them all I would be in big trouble with my company's Chief Financial Officer (aka my wife) :)

Mike

2. princec

Indie Author

I've got the budget, I just don't have the time mostly because I spend nearly all my free time writing games. This is a terrible irony.

Cas :)

3. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I gotta say this game is cool, but like you say currently it has a gamer appeal to it. When you took away the target line I thought it was sweet, and I was really suprised with how well i could target. Good use of sound. That said, the mouse interface is fairly broken. Casual gamers don't like the right mouse button it even felt aukward for me. Maybe just having a muse cursor and holding down the left button to jump toward the cursor. (so if the cursor is anywhere on the right side of the flea he jumps right, and visa versa).

I think another big problem with this game is exposure, It's odd to find a game that no one hear has ever herd of and we are fairly agressive about checking out independant games.

4. princec

Indie Author

Well, it'll be on TIGsource in a minute so it might get a bit more exposure :)

5. Black Hydra

Original Member

Unless the game is completely horrible (everyone would know) or the game has some critical defect (like a bug that prevents it for working for most people) the reason probably lies in all the other factors that make a sale.

Try to think of the process that goes into making a sale and then figure out where your losing people.

These are the steps a 'user' must go through in order for them to buy your game. Where are the holes in your pipeline?

1) The user must see your website or visit a download page.
    2) The user must download your game
    3) The user must play your game
    4) The user must reach the end of the demo. (when the free ride is over!)
    5) The user must like your game (usually not the #1 factor)
    6) The user must click on your "Buy Game" button
    -You may want to write some sales copy after your demo to increase the success of this stage.
    7) The user must complete the order form
    8) The user must purchase the game by submitting the order form

This doesn't even include steps for retaining customers.

By looking at the PROCESS that goes into making a sale you can see where the numbers are too low.

Try getting it on the portal and noting the difference in sales. That might clue you in on potential problems.

BTW - The game is awesome! :D

6. maksum

Indie Author

"Terrible irony"? I think it's great! I mean, if we're to be logical, this just means that you need to start buying me some games! ;)

Mike

7. princec

Indie Author

Had a good play of Fleafall at home (and a match vs. Dan). It's just brilliant. I may just have to buy it. I can't really think of concrete reasons why it's not selling as everything is in place and as it should be - I can't think of anything you could do better on the biz side apart from go straight to the portals because I think it'll be a hit.

My observations were:

- The fleas are very cute but just a tiny bit too small! If they were about 2x as big they'd show up far better on LCD screens and blind old fools like myself would be able to distinguish one colour from another

- Internet play was screwy as hell. I was sat next to my wife, and we were both playing against Dan somewhere on the other side of the world and Martoon but none of us could see each other. Then someone invisible would win.

- I think what the game needs is... powerups. Little bonuses to help you get one up on your opponents.

- Likewise it could do with "deathtraps" and other inconveniences.

- I don't know how much this would affect gameplay (or how much work to code) but larger-than-screen-area scrolling playfields might be good. With an arrow pointing to an offscreen orb.

- I had thought that a capture-the-flag style game might be good fun too where fleas could actually joust for the flag. But that's quite a big enhancement not a niggle.

- Jousting would be good anyway though. Knock your opponents over :)

Presentation is superb throughout. It's an excellent game and perfectly priced.

<edit>Blogged on TIGsource, going to buy it. Class game. I suggest you try a few A/B split tests to find out if reducing the demo timeout or giving away the full game for a period may increase sales too.

#27 princec, Apr 4, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  8. tolik

Original Member

Demo version needs at least 3 tournament levels. I think these extensive masterpieces similar to worm backgrounds should be shown AT FIRST so player will understand what kind of production value the game has.

And as others have mentioned, mouse tutorial is a must.

9. princec

Indie Author

Mouse??? Where does the mouse fit?? Or is that left/right button to jump?

I think... giving away the entire game is what you want to do, and time crippling it a little earlier.

10. Yarlen

Original Member

Here's my honest opinion (I'm putting my reviewer hat back on):

I just tried both with and without the mouse control, overall I'd say the mouse control works better for me. I would agree with others that the demo is too short, however. The training levels are key, but after that only having one "real" level to try would put me off buying the game - I just don't know what I'm actually getting.

In addition, I think the fleas are too small to see which may be putting off some potential buyers (in the tournament game I kept losing my flea visually). Granted, they're supposed to be small, but this may be working against you. The sound and music are both good, but the graphics could be a bit better, especially the orbs. Also as others mentioned, having powerups would spice the gameplay up a bit too.

Based on the demo, $19.95 seems a bit steep to me as a gaming consumer (I blame the weak dollar :p). Maybe with a longer demo so I could get a better sense of the gameplay, the price would seem better.

11. Cartman

Indie Author

I liked the game alot. My wife and I got a big laugh out of it. It has great polish, good sounds and catchy music. The things that concerned me:

1) The size of the fleas were just right for my screen(19"), but I think people with smaller monitors might find it difficult to really see the fleas well.

2) I had alot of difficulty controlling my flea. On the first level I didn't get a single point, because I couldn't reach the objects before the computer fleas did( you might want to make them stupider on that level, to make the player feel better). On the tutorial I went about 20 times to get the 11th object in the lower right. I can see that they might be very difficult for a casual user to master.

Great graphics, orginiality, etc. And I'm happy to see another Blitz game.

Keep up the good work.

12. Berb

Original Member

Wow, lots of feedback, lots of thanks to everyone for this.

It'll take me all night to reply individually, so I'll see if I can cover most of the points in general.

Main Feedback

- It's too hard (particularly for casual market)

- Fleas are too small. The zoom idea is intriguing. However, making the fleas simply bigger affects the scale of everything. They end up looking like fat frogs limping around. Changing the jump height ruins all the levels.

- Jump needs to be on by default (at least in free version). Agreed.

- Not enough percieved value in buying it. Agreed.

- Powerups and other extras would be good. I wish it were that easy. I'm looking into adding a few power-ups to One Player and Multiplayer games (but not Internet) - thoughts?

- A tutorial on playing with the mouse is highly recommended. Agreed.

- More levels in the demo. But am I giving away too much? I gave away 3 levels in the last version and no one bought it because thet thought that was enough for them.

Other feedback

- Screwy Internet play. Yes, if you are both behind a router it's...complicated. The only way we (Francis and I) know around this is to use Skype's method which is... tricky. We're looking into it though.

- Different control systems. I understand there are lots of ways to change the controls but, in my view, some of the changes suggested would make it a completely different game. I'm happy with the gameplay, just not the sales.

-Scrolly screen. I have a prototype GBA version which does exactly this. It's good, but you loose a lot by not seeing the entire gameplay area. It's much harder to plan routes and almost impossible to make those long double score jumps.

-Fleas are too hard. I think you are right, but the worrying thing is, it's very difficult to make them any more stupid. Before we put AI in they were jumping randomly, and even then they occasionally beat people. If I make them jump less often the game looks dead. The compramise was active, but very dumb AI that will occasionaly be very good by accident.

-Zero exposure. I think this is a significant but not major problem at this stage. I've been told that a portal is looking at it, but I'm not holding my breath there seems to plenty to do to improve it. However it is interesting that none of you mentioned you were dissuaded from buying by the lack of games happening online. I would have thought this was a big problem. Maybe this didn't happen because you were playing each other...great!

Cheers princec for putting it on TIGsource.

Thanks also for all the very positive feedback and please keep it coming if you have any more comments.

13. princec

Indie Author

Just increase the fleas a wee bit, and try and get their colour and outline more clearly defined.

I really don't think this game is in any way "hard" whatsoever and the AI fleas are hopeless. It's got a very shallow learning curve and you have to understand that if you don't get it after about 3 levels you will probably never get it and be useless at it and never buy it. If you try and dick around with the difficulty you'll just ruin it for everyone else for whom it just clicks, and it is perfect right now, IM(H)O.

As for a mouse tutorial... meh.. just add another instruction graphic above the one with the left and right keys on it. I mean come on! The casual crowd surely aren't totally stupid or they'd never have figured out how to download and install it in the first place.

Bought the full version btw and guess what - it doesn't work in 32 bit on my laptop but the demo does!!! Memory access violation again. Changed to 16 and it's fine.