[UNTITLED] Light-weight Roguelike Action RPG/Beat'em up

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by blogofnam, Apr 1, 2014.

1. blogofnam

blogofnam New Member

INTRODUCTION
    Hi, everybody. I'm a longtime fan of indie games. I am nearing completion of a a roguelike action rpg/beat' em up. I would probably release a demo/full version/beta of the game once enough interest is generated.

PICTURES
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For more information:
    http://www.blogofnam.com

PS: I just finished my game. There is a limited number of free copies on my site. Feel free to download one if there's any left.

#1 blogofnam, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  2. aaro

aaro New Member

Consider interest generated!

Also, I'd love to see a dev blog on your site. It'd be neat to read about the game's technical specifics (language, engine, etc) and some of the insights you gained while writing it.

3. blogofnam

blogofnam New Member

Thanks for the interest. I pretty much finished the game, so a dev-blog at this point wouldn't be all too useful. However, I am more than willing to answer any technical questions and willing to write any suggestions for articles just tell me what to write and where to post.

Tools
    Blender for modelling
    Gimp for 2D stuff
    Linux/GNU Compiler Collection
    Codeblocks as an IDE
    Bunch of other free software that helped me out

Language
    Engine written in C++, Shaders in GLSL
    Gameplay code written in LUA (mostly scripting behaviours for enemies/players and weapons)

Libraries/API's
    SDL, PortAudio, OpenGL

Graphical Techniques
    Shadow mapping
    Tangent space bump mapping
    Specular Maps
    Bill-boarded particles
    Deferred shading for small local lights.. such as when enemies are on fire
    Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (SSAO.. implementation might be a bit shoddy)
    Motion Blending (Automatic smooth transitions between animations)
    Ambient Cube Maps (this implementation is a bit shoddy)
    Triangle-Strip optimization

Architecture
    The design of the engine was mostly designed to have a strict separation of the gameplay code from the graphical code.
    think CSS and HTML. But other than that. I don't do anything too fancy. Eager acquisition of resources. So no load screens. Also nothing is compressed so loading is rather quick.

Other notes:
    There's no quality scene graph. Just a link list. No complicated octree or anything.
    Frustum culling is the only thing I use. I abandoned ragdoll physics.. couldn't get a decent implementation working.
    Originally used shadow volumes.. but it was too slow. Tried to have a glow filter.. like bright things will be kind of
    glowing or blurry. but it was too slow. Networked Multiplayer code written and functional somewhat, but not in game
    as damaged from code rot and didn't have time to polish (Peer to peer lock-step similar to Starcraft). The code is threaded. but threading was added as an after-thought. It maybe shaves off 3-4 frames per second at most, just so gameplay and graphics code can be computed in parallel. Not really needed as gameplay calculations are really really fast.

Gameplay notes:
    Gameplay code is pretty straight forward. As easy as you can imagine. Cylindrical collision detection for every
    guy. No real pathfinding(other than move forward, move back). O(N^2) Collision tests. Each object looks up LUA script
    for behaviors and collision reactions.

Been programming games as a hobby for about 8-10 years. This is my 3rd to 4th project.
    I can write on forever. So I'll just stop here. If you have any questions let me know.