Typical salaries at your companies (indie and non-indie alike)?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Bamafan77, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

My wife was working part-time too, and we still managed to save some money.

Now, I'm working full time plus a bit more, and we are saving lots of money. Tokyo doesn't have to be expensive to live in - it's just expensive to live like a westerner. But if you get a small apartment and live simply, it's not that expensive at all.

2. GameStudioD

Original Member

For 2004, the average salary for a new college grad. in Computer Science is $55,000. However, the job market is heating up. I have been noticing more and more job postings on sites like craigslist, monster, etc. Out of college, especially here in Silicon Valley, you should not be accepting less than $60,000 - $70,000. I have many friends who have graduated the past two semester and I know of no one who is making less than $65,000 (some considerably more). And these people found jobs quickly.

If you want to work in the game industry (EA, Konami, etc), you will be taking at least a $30,000 per year pay cut and work crazy hours. I would recommend finding out what it is you like about games and base your job search around that (outside of the game industry).

3. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

A bannana and a bag of nuts if you're lucky :D JK as I prefer to pay well to make people feel rewarded and get good work rather than save a few bucks.

4. Indiepath.T

Original Member Indie Author

As a Software Business Development consultant, in my previous job, the basic salary was £40K with on Target earnings of £80K. So in USD I was earning about $144K, money was nice, stress was unbearable, home life was non-existant. I am so glad I gave it up :)

5. Fabio

Original Member

By the way Anthony.. maybe this has been already asked thousands times, anyway: when will you release Cletus Clay? The screenshots look truly impressive. It's a pity really it's still in limbo. Take it as a big compliment.

6. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

I'm going to shoot for around September this year. It's close enough now to be able to start estimating stuff like that. That still sounds like a long time, but when I sat down and broke up the remaining work month by month, the time disappeared pretty quickly. I need to have all the menus and GUI finalised by the end of this month...

7. Ricardo Vladimiro

Indie Author

One interesting aspect of this discussion is to put the salaries/earnings in the context of a region. Demographics play a heavy role in this discussion, not only comparing what companies pay, but also how much life costs.

The numbers presented here as being the lowest give in Portugal a higher quality of life compared with what the common fellow has. On the other hand, an employed person typically receives lower numbers than that.

8. Greg Squire

Original Member

9. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

All this talk of $40k-50k to start really makes me think I've been in the wrong game companies these past 6 years. I'm willing to bet though, if the Gamasutra Salary Servey included Canada, all those averages would be 15-20k lower.

As for "indie" profit, I havn't released anything, so for 4 months, that's a big zero. ;). I'd only recommend this route if you've got some cashflow or savings to keep ya going.

10. Fabio

Original Member

I'll wait September then.. I hope I don't die before. ;)

11. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Yeah, me too. It would be awful timing.