Typical art cost for small works like icons?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by zoombapup, Feb 4, 2012.

1. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

So, in order to actually get something productive out of that other thread.

I've got requirements for say a dozen "icons" that will be used to denote actions in my game (actions you can choose to do to other things in the world).

The icons need to be in 3 states, each icon being 64x64 and with normal/hover/clicked states. Style wise I think something like these:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/060/e/e/RPG_Icons_by_ryanvardy123.jpg

So my question is, how much would you typically think of paying for 12 icons in that sort of style?

I'm being serious here. I am reasonably ok for how long it might take to do 3D art, but have no idea at all for 2D stuff. So what would you guys pay?

2. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

How come you only need the icons? Part of that other thread is about not paying a premium for poxy little bits of art. Have you not got a guy already to do the main bulk of the work?

Those icons you linked are very complex and should take about an hour each, so you'll be looking at a few hundred.

3. rioka

rioka New Member

Pricing is so subjective. :\

Anyways, I remember Amaranth once saying that she pays by size. So a 64x64, iirc her payment pricing exactly, would be $6.40x2 = $12.80 so in total for 12 icons = $153.60. Btw, it looks like the guy who's icons you linked to deleted their file. (Either that or DA got ticked off and took it out - they don't like hot linking much...)

4. Bram

Indie Author Greenlit

Or better.... buy vector art instead.
    It gives the developer a lot more freedom to rasterize at different resolutions.
    If Apple releases a retina display ipad3, e.g. the developer can redo icons without any help from artists.
    And if you want to go for a really premium player experience: render them as vectors, so you can do all sorts of cool animations with them.
    'throbbing' icons, e.g. if you need to pull the player focus to something.
    There are incredibly gifted vector artists at openclipart.org why not try hiring one of them?

5. zoombapup

No, haven't got an artist involved yet (well, not a reliable one), because I want to get enough functionality working first (should be easier for a real artist to understand the project if they can play it).

6. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

That's common enough. Grab some random placeholders with google image search or just draw some rectangles with numbers on :)

7. zoombapup

Yeah, I've done that, but I find it hard to visualize the final thing without some artist input and I need to feel this particular piece of functionality.

8. NicolasGB

NicolasGB New Member

I'd pay up to 300$ for 12 icons, hard to say with the link broken

9. zoombapup

10. heavycat

heavycat New Member

It's about a half-page of work. $150 Five days after design approval.

11. totor

totor New Member

$150 for 5 days of work ?

12. gamer247

gamer247 New Member

30$ a day, they must be desperate, or from asia.

13. Nexic

Indie Author

5 days after approval != 5 full days work