TunaSnax Peek

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by sillytuna, Mar 3, 2007.

1. sillytuna

Indie Author

[Since it's GDC and people are showing off their goods]

For the last few months Tuna have been working on a website to sell only high quality Independent and Casual games. The site, called TunaSnax, will not be launched for a little while yet, however we’d like to show you what we’ve been working on in order to get some initial feedback.

http://mbeta.tunasnax.com

You will be able to log in until a week after the end of GDC, 16th March 2007.

The site’s content is placeholder at present, but you are welcome to register as a member and try out some of the member features, or simply look around as a public visitor.

Other than various tweaks, the major aspect to be completed before launch is increased support for Profile customisation, and Friends support. This includes full Friends functionality; including members having their own chat pages.

Future additions will including My Room functionality, whereby players will be able to show off, collect and trade digital collectibles, many of which will be related to the games themselves [we heard yesterday that Sony are about to do the same thing with PSN!].

What is TunaSnax?

TunaSnax is a download games portal that will sell only high quality Independent and Casual titles, whilst also providing additional features to allow a community to build around the content.

TunaSnax is being created by Tuna Technologies, a small, independent developer based in the UK.

Preview: Homepage
    Preview: Short Listings
    Preview: Profile

2. oldschool

Original Member

Great design and the comment system is right up my ally.
    The comments are what makes me like amazon and newegg, over bn.com,geeks, etc...(maybe they've added these feature but I wouldn't know since I stopped going there)

Collectible tokens? What do you mean by that. Is this like the Chuzzle trophy thing? Like write X number of good reviews and you get to use a larger special avatar or a free game? Very interesting

edit: in the right top corner you have free games. Why not put up real free games like download free games does? I never did like it that companies say free game when they mean free trial. It makes me think bait and switch, but free trial maybe understood by your customers. what do I know about your customers :)

#2 oldschool, Mar 3, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  3. whisperstorm

Original Member

One bit of feedback - I don't like how the page header is broken up - I mean the lines across the top - it's not continuous and seems off balance. The rest of the page looks nice and has a casual feel.

4. sillytuna

Indie Author

Do you mean the temporary ad box? If so, as the name implies, it's just temporary in that format and with the outline. You could argue that any ad there will break the header though.

It's a possible ad space basically.

re: Collectibles - More on this in future. Wouldn't have mentioned it right now if it wasn't for pesky Sony about to announce their own version. It's a long term addition, not one for launch however.

5. Skash

Skash New Member

Try testing it with a Firefox browser I can see the difference between your logo and half your slogan.

I like how you have a tick box for "only show indie" that's a great feature and will promote thier games even more.

The colours make me Happy :)

6. Maupin

Original Member

The design looks great. Nice-looking portal.

I also agree about the "free games" ads/links. That's not really true, is it? When I follow a link to free games and find a "buy" button I usually feel like I'm being tricked and write that site off.

7. sillytuna

Indie Author

re: "Free games" - still under discussion that, so easy to change. It's already gone through "More Games, Try These, Free Games..." etc. I'll pass your thoughts along.

re: Ad box - may knock that out for now, but a header ad is useful, even if just for internal ads. Ideas to improve it gladly taken [bare in mind what's there is completely temporary].

re: Indie only - this one is important for me, but I know there'll be some dispute as to what is indie and what isn't. We'll be reasonably encompassing and not super strict, something I hope people will understand. Where would people stand on e.g. Virtual Villagers? Completely casual game but definitely created by an indie. However, Kudos or Steam Brigade - very different games but I'd certainly call them indie. Amanda's Aveyond is another crossover title.

My intention is for indie to more refer to games that aren't necessarily mainstream casual I guess, or at least weren't expected to be.

It's important to bare in mind that we're aiming the term "indie" at the audience and not the developers - this is where we may differ from some other sites. However, it's generally what we'd call indie developers that we expect (and hope) will benefit.

I'm not expecting everyone to agree with me or each other, but feedback would be great.

Ok, off to GDC now - if anyone is out there feel free to grab me for a chat or a beer.

#7 sillytuna, Mar 3, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  8. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Perhaps "indie" isn't the right word to use? But I guess people already have some concept of what that means in this sense, from "indie cinema" etc. But if there was another word that clearly meant "not mainstream casual", it might circumvent the whole "is it indie" blah-blah.

9. Nikster

Original Member

Agreed, I think too many people try to categorize indie as a whole, whereas it's split, indie development, indie selling, indie marketing, hell, you could say you're not indie because you rely on others for food :) so unless people think you should write, market and sell your own stuff to be labelled as a real indie, that should also mean the use of portals should banish you from such a title ;)