Trying to understand the indie scene

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by mercadier, Jul 15, 2016.

1. mercadier

mercadier New Member

I've been developing games for a while now but haven't really come into the community. So I want to understand how it all fits together. I want to hear from all of you; How big is your team? How long has your team existed for? What are you working on at the moment? How long have you been working on your current project? How many hours do you work on it per day? How is it going? Any and all sorts of interesting stuff like that would be greatly appreciated. :)

maxkiel likes this.
  2. DorkyDamsel

DorkyDamsel New Member

My team currently just consists of me. I am still in the writing process currently, and coming up with the game mechanics of a horror survival game. I have been developing it for about a year now. I work on it (I include research) about 4-6 hours depending. I am also a stay at home parent of 3 so It is broken up usually. I think it is going really well. I really love the story behind it. I am a bit worried it sucks though lol. I currently have 41 pages of story, dialogue, and game play. I am writing it in the standard screen play font and size so I can get a general idea of how long it is. Generally one page is 1 minute of screen time, so I have about 41 minutes of game play, depending on how the player moves throughout the environment of course, which I would estimate is it a bit longer, most gamers I have watched (lots of youtube gamers) they move about the game looking at the surroundings, and search for things to find, not just go through the story itself. What kind of games have you developed?

3. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

2 years and its just me and me alone working on projects. This is of course not by choice but by lack of view in seeing other people I encounter.

I finish project after project quickly. It isn't assigned to one assignment and then finished. I work from dawn to dusk usually but lately I had to cut back onto a few hours.

idurvesh likes this.
  4. mercadier

mercadier New Member

Sorry for the late reply. That's quite interesting; you're writing it like a screenplay? Have you finished projects before or is this your first one? And will you know how to program the gameplay or is this something you'll need to learn when you get to it? I first started out in the modding community, worked for several teams, then lead my own team and released a successful mod. Drifted away from it after that as I didn't know that game development was direction to take. Came back to it around five years ago and got caught up on projects that were too ambitious for our skill level, and the size of the team (In the mod team days we had 50 people). I'm now working on a sword fighting game. :)

idurvesh and DorkyDamsel like this.
  5. mercadier

mercadier New Member

Wow that sounds like you're putting out a lot of stuff. How do you manage it? I've been hung up on games for years. Is there a way I can see some of the games you've made? :)

6. DorkyDamsel

DorkyDamsel New Member

Well I saw it as kind of like a movie at first, so It sort of has a last of us, until dawn kind of movie aspect. Writing it in that format is just giving me an idea of how long it is. Which is not really correct at all since its not straight dialogue. I am mainly kind of doing an outline, its not fleshed out like what the environment looks like, or anything like that. Its still just the bare bones on how to get to the end of the story. I also do writing, I have 2 novels in the works, so I don't think I could write any other kind of game lol. I have downloaded unity and cryengine to kind of see if I could learn them and do it myself since I don't have any money to pay anyone anything, as well as I don't know anyone who would work for free at this point lol. I understand a bit of the basics but I don't know how to create a game by any means yet. I am still also watching lets plays and watching what they really love about horror games, and what they hate, and reading reviews, I have played a few horror games, but I don't have the money to buy many so I don't have much in the way of that kind of research, but I don't like playing scary games myself lol.

7. noahbwilson

Indie Author

I'm also in this boat. I'm a solo dev who does it all, has made a lot of games, and can't seem to break into anything anywhere. I even have been preemptively banned from Reddit (I have posted on that site maybe 5 times, and all 5 posts deleted). Plus a majority of my dev friends in the real world are flakes. I'm giving this site a shot.

We all want people to play our games. There is only so much time in life, and how much of that do you play VS create?

idurvesh and DorkyDamsel like this.
  8. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

I had to remove all but 1 because it's a min-game called James PC:Walk Around. The other games were removed because I'm remastering them and giving them a more....Uhhh, polished look if you will. Being drawn in 2014 with my art talent back them is annoying to current me.

Pfft, all the indie devs I know are in Facebook Groups and boy o boy, are they cancerous....Sadly only 10 of them are actually in my radar of concern as the other 4000 are spamming advertisers and they don't carry me forward very much. Wait banned from Reddit? Isn't that a good thing? Place is terrible from what I know.

9. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Agreed. Every time I post (or even a friend of mine posted about my game in my honor), the post was gone. I thought it was weird considering my post was no different than anyone else saying "play my game"! It's a blessing in disguise cuz I didn't want to become a reddit regular.

You know after you take a dump ... and the toilet backs up ... and now the water is all brown? That's reddit.

metateen likes this.
  10. Rekusi

Indie Author

I am also a solo,and Ive only released 1 game. I have a regular job with other things like the house taking priority, but I definitely try to do what I can.

I try to do 1-2 hours of deving a day. But since I am mostly in the learning phase, I am pretty much doing learning things each day like reading and pumping through tutorials.

My biggest inspiration is Scott Cawthon (Five Nights at Freddies). I think about him and tell myself if he can do it then any dev can! I never let anyone tell me there are too many games out there. There are millions of songs that exist, and that doesnt stop artists from making new songs. :)

maxkiel likes this.
  11. idurvesh

idurvesh New Member

Would recommend to watch "Indie Game : The Movie" documentary..It introduced to me reality of Indie scenes ...

bantamcitygames likes this.
  12. maxkiel

maxkiel New Member

I am and always have been (hopefully shall not be) working alone on my games. I do it whenever i find time generally 2-3 hours a day. Back in my college time i was hell crazy about games: the graphics, gameplay, rich character stories, open world to explore, the looks, the feel (sigh) and really wanted to know how these are made and try all that by myself but never actually considered to get training, the institutions were expensive and weren't as good. So i started teaching myself about all the knits and grits, here's and there's of game programming and cg and made some clones of already existing 2D games. I also tried freelancing and made a roulette game (PoC) for a client (that was a really good experience). Today I have a full time job and and its been a whole year of constant learning about idk 'things'. Now I am considering to finally start working on car racing game idea that i have. Right now I just have a high vision of it and parallelly experimenting with the mechanics and gameplay, nothing to say much on that yet. This would be my first game as indie and I am hoping to stay just as crazy throughout its development "fingers crossed". :)

13. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

It's fine for a brief story on the positives but honestly there is so much more it can be then what it is. I say go for it.

14. idurvesh

idurvesh New Member

Yes that's true...