Transferring from your day-job to be fulltime indie?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Morical, May 12, 2009.

1. baldong

baldong New Member

thank u zoombapup, I checked the MIG, I guess I have some kind of clue.... "Don't quit your day job!" only apply for the non-game-industry guys. Other guys already on board, and tired of producing commercial duplicated games day and day, the option of practicing indie is:

Quit your day job! And find a non-game-relative job instead.

But find another kind of job is not so easy, so the alternative way maybe do it ... secretly in part time, and quit the day job before publish it. But u still don't know if u can survive by your first try.

god, what a Pandora box.

2. Teeth

Original Member

Generally speaking, (I've been in games for 8 years and worked for three companies) I've found employers are fine with side projects as long as you are up front about it and work on it in your own time and on your own gear. I've never heard of anything going to court. If it did, I would find it hard to believe the court would find your indie game to be in direct competition with your studio's games, unless you work for popcap or the like. You could also ask for the IP ownership clause in your contract, if it is there, to be relaxed to cover this. If it is not there, then you have nothing to worry about and can proceed regardless.

Check your contract, and if necessary ask them nicely about what you can do.

3. Moose2000

Moose2000 New Member

I found the reverse - all the games companies I worked at were right twats about it. I left the industry so I'd be able to work on my own side projects, and as a side bonus I also got better working conditions and shorter hours.

Of course, this was in the UK where games companies are currently bemoaning the mysterious 'brain drain' and asking the government to do something about it.

So, yeah, if you're going to do stuff on the side, make very sure there's not going to be a problem with it from your employer. And I can't recommend non-game-related jobs highly enough...

4. vjvj

Indie Author

Don't quit your job, yet. Do games on the side and save money until you have enough to live several years without income.

Also, I honestly think you should ship a "real" game at a real game company first. The painful experience of shipping that first game is always the most shocking, so get that out of the way on someone else's dime, first :)

Good luck!

5. PlasticOstrich

PlasticOstrich New Member

If you're working in the gaming industry already, you could end up laid off or promoted. I've seen both happen.

#25 PlasticOstrich, May 20, 2009
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
  6. baldong

baldong New Member

I am not ready to quit job now:p but I got your guys idea, work in a game company is not mean we can not start indie. Just do it and then later, if things happen, let it be... the most important goal is to have a try.

7. simonh

Indie Author

I work part-time as postman (about five hours a day), and I find that provides a very good balance in my life alongside being an indie dev. Not only does it provide many of the benefits that programming doesn't (keeping fit, being outdoors, meeting people), it also refreshes me sufficiently for me to be productive in the eight-ten hours I have spare each day.

I recently had two weeks off, and made an attempt to do programming non-stop each day. I probably ended up being less productive than I am normally, simply because it's very easy to get quite fatigued when you're doing the same thing non-stop.

8. baldong

baldong New Member

postman is a perfect job for indie, outdoors, breath fresh air, meet girls... u make me think about some other alternative, such as to be a teacher of Taiji or dance, a trainer in the swimming pool, etc... any one has other interesting part-time job? :)

9. arzi

Metacritic 75+ Indie Author

For me, going fulltime indie was pretty much the only plausible option. I was working in the game industry but got laid off (for financial reasons, not because of side projects, mind you) and not wanting to relocate putting up a company was the only way to stay in the business (there are not many game companies in my town).

Now, after having been "on my own" for roughly two months, I still haven't regretted my decision and have actually been happier than in the previous workplace. It's a lot more work, but I value the creative freedom more than the financial stability.

But still, I don't think I would have dared to actually quit my day job in other circumstances.

We'll see if I change my mind after the harsh reality of releasing the first game that probably doesn't sell all that well ;)

10. Bad Sector

Original Member

You should actually be prepared for the past phrase, minus the "all that well".

11. baldong

baldong New Member

arzi, I m looking forward to your future performance in indie area :) u have so many lakes in your country, u should build a game with a lot of lakes.

12. arzi

Metacritic 75+ Indie Author

Thank you :)

I have to say we don't a have a game concept with lakes at the moment, but I'll have to remember that one. Not that I can think of any Finnish game about lakes either. Maybe it's too obvious?

13. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

If you have a day job that pays the bills, you'd have to be insane to quit.

Start game-making as a hobby. If it ever reaches the point where you can make a living off it, then you can start to think about switching. Most people would like to work for themselves instead of making some rich fatcat richer still, but at what cost? Poverty? You'll know when the time is right.

14. GBGames

Indie Author

While everyone is giving advice along the lines of "don't quit your day job yet", I'd suggest reading the first few chapters of The 4 Hour Work Week to see a different point of view.

Basically, why put off until later what you want to do now? If you're passionate about it, is poverty really scaring you? Seriously, if poverty is the absolute worst thing that you are worried about, start thinking about what you could do if you do find yourself in such a worst-case scenario. Can you get a part-time job until you're back on your feet? Can you get your old job back? Can you steal lunch money from the children going to school outside of your home?

Timothy Ferriss said something along the lines of on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being nothing and 10 being a permanent, life-changing thing, most of his worst fears ranked among the temporary 3 or 4, while the best case scenario would be a permanent 9 or 10.

Also, some time earlier this year, Gary Vaynerchuck was in a video in which he implored people to only do work they are passionate about. If you aren't passionate about it, leave. Watch http://gaffney3.com/2008/09/28/gary-vaynerchuk-kill-it/ if you need some inspiring words.

Now, I'm not one to talk about quitting your day job. I'm still working in one, but I'm slowly realizing that I'm only there because I kind of coasted into it. I should be more proactive, and I'm taking steps these days to be just that. Maybe one day soon I can talk about the scariness of leaving your day job from the point of view of someone who jumped without a parachute and survived. But realize that just because most of the people here are saying you should keep yours, it doesn't mean that you should. Sometimes you need to do the exact opposite of what everyone else is saying to be successful.

15. vjvj

Indie Author

Sound advice, and I'm actually still working part-time as well while living with reduced expenses. But the reason I suggested he keep working (and work for a game company, first) is because he doesn't have any experience in games. That first real, shipped title is always a doozy, and it helps to go through that process with an experienced team before striking out on your own.

16. Desktop Gaming

It'll scare you when the bailiffs come knocking and take your telly away because you haven't been able to pay any bills.

Try telling those guys that "the book told me to do it".

17. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

The problem is, that you simply cant sustain life without a given level of funding and most part-time jobs simply dont provide that level of funds.

Rent here is pretty pricy, as is food, electricity, gas, council tax etc.

I'd reckon 10k is the minimum you'd need to live on and not be in complete squalor.

18. luggage

Madness! Who would sweep the roads? Empty the bins? What a short sighted statement.

19. luggage

This is true. Unfortunately some people live in the real world where not having food on the table is a pretty scary thought.

20. Acord

Acord New Member

I think that there are also plenty of people who are passionate about their work - simply because they want to do a good job, no matter what the job is. I feel like there's some sort of philosophical leverage going on there.