Titan Attacks and Ultratron now available to all BMT affiliates

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by princec, Sep 27, 2007.

1. princec

Indie Author

Titan Attacks and Ultratron are now available to all BMT affiliates at the industry standard commission of 30%. Titan Attacks and Ultratron are our award-winning mini-titles for Mac OS X and Windows, though right now we are only affiliating the Windows versions.

For Titan Attacks Windows download links:
    https://secure.bmtmicro.com/servlets/RIP.DemoDownload?PRODUCTID=18990004&AID=<your affiliate id here>

For Titan Attacks Buy Now links:
    https://secure.bmtmicro.com/servlets/Orders.ShoppingCart?CID=1899&PRODUCTID=18990004&AID=<your affiliate id here>

For Titan Attacks screenshots and blurb:
    http://www.puppygames.net/titan-attacks

For Ultratron Windows download links:
    https://secure.bmtmicro.com/servlets/RIP.DemoDownload?PRODUCTID=18990000&AID=<your affiliate id here>

For Ultratron Buy Now links:
    https://secure.bmtmicro.com/servlets/Orders.ShoppingCart?CID=1899&PRODUCTID=18990000&AID=<your affiliate id here>

For Ultratron screenshots and blurb:
    http://www.puppygames.net/ultratron

Please feel free to contact us via our enquiry form if you need further details. Or PM me here of course.

Cas :)

2. jcottier

jcottier New Member

30% is very low. I don't know who said it was a standard.

For example, I am offering 50% for OvO my webcam game and I think it is fair for both parties.

JC

3. princec

Indie Author

So don't affiliate it then if it's not worth the free $8 :)

4. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Hehe yeah really?... well I'm 'forced' to only offer 10% via ClickGamer and if you ask me 50% for an affiliate is to high condsidering they don't have to do much in reality.

30% is about right, anymore is taking the p*!s in my books.

#4 Adrian Cummings, Sep 27, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  5. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Not to do much? Who cares? What you want is their traffic and that is worth everything!!!!

I always bless every affiliates sales. I don't believe I loose something. It is a sale I wasn't going to have, if they didn't advertise it for me.

JC

6. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

May you have many sales then and sell em the shirt off your back while your at it just for the extra traffic :)

7. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

Funny how some devs always want to piss on direct affiliates who give you FREE TRAFFIC plus money to boot. If you think you're doing them a favor then you're probably a card carrying member of the flat world society.

Why would the real affiliates that drive good sales hassle with affiliating directly on a handful of games when they can get a boat load of games with stock higher rates from the standard affiliate offerings?

8. princec

Indie Author

Do expound upon that some more, not sure I follow you.

9. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Reflexive, 40%

I also offer 40% on Real E$tate Empire and Battle Castles through BMT.

10. JGOware

Indie Author

If the game doesn't sell well, I'd want a higher affiliate rate. If it's a good converter, 30% is fine. ;)

11. lennard

I said I was about to get all Norma Rae the other day, so here goes.

I don't know why we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot on this topic. Amongst ourselves we actually drive a reasonable amount of traffic and could do each other and ourselves some good. Cas, I know you don't deal with portals so this really pertains to you unless you want to buy every last bit of traffic going to your site. Trying to get another 10% out of each other is missing the big picture by a country mile and also helps ensure that we will continue to be low-man on the economic totem pole in the casual market food chain.

Here's reality.

I've just gone through another round of dealing with a big aggregator. They want 40% of all sales receipts for submitting Real E$tate Empire to the portals for me. The portals are going to pay me 30% on average... ie. I'm getting 18%. I didn't take it but I turned down a guarantee on one of the biggest portals and that aggregator deals with something like another 160 portals who would have had access to my game. I did it because the whole thing just stinks and it's time we, as developers, got both angry and a clue.

I am hugely frustrated that we, as developers, nickel and dime each other while giving the portals and aggregators sweetheart deals for not developing a thing other than traffic.

Traffic has value and paying at least what Reflexive are going to give us is the minimum that makes any sense - it should be more because it requires dealing with another system which ends up being more work.

We (I know, me included) would be much better off setting affiliate rates to 50%, building real traffic amongst ourselves and still getting 50%. Not many portals are going to give you anywhere near that amount and there will be hoops to jump through (like removing links to your website) besides.

12. princec

Indie Author

Bad news, I was offering 60% for the last 3 months or so, but we got no extra sales from when it was 40%. Instead it just cost me a large amount of money. So it's down to 30% to see what difference that makes. If it sells less... I'll put it up a bit. It's all about tuning. Besides - it's not about the money for affiliates: it's about getting customers.

I may try another experiment and set commission to 80% in the nearish future but the reality is I just don't know anyone with enough traffic to pull it off.

13. lennard

I know you were and kudos to you. FYI, I didn't take you up on it because your games link back to your site so it wasn't clear to me if putting Ultratron up would do me any good.

Anyhow, I'm feeling really motivated to figure this out because the status quo needs to change so that developers who make credible product don't get screwed over access to eyeballs. That is what is happening now.

Poll questions:

1. How much money do you make from each web visitor to your site?
    2. How much would you pay to get a visitor to your site?
    3. How much do you want to drive visitors to my site?
    4. If you would consider ads in your game demos, how much would you want per run of the game?

14. princec

Indie Author

I only realised the BMT affiliation stuff was working properly when I noticed that Gametunnel had sold a whole bunch of Titans :) So it must work on cookies. Good news for me because it means I can forget about all that custom build rubbish now.

I don't know if your questions are directed at me but I'll answer them:
    1. Dunno about "visitors" but downloaders get me about 45 cents each.
    2. I figured that only a quarter of visitors make a download (total guess right now but someone once bandied that figure obout on the Dex forums) so I'll be willing to pay 12 cents or so for a visitor. Which is coincidentally what Facebook are charging me right now per click in my Facebook flyer campaign.
    3. I don't want them going any where near your site until it's got Titan Attacks and Ultratron on it ;)
    4. An interesting idea, but already covered: I've got a "More games" button on the title screen, and that takes people to puppygames.net, where I want people to buy more games that I sell. So I need some more affiliated games I think :) Shooters preferably. Simple ones.

15. lennard

Thanks Cas.

If I can drive game players to your site you would pay 10 cents each then?

Not sure I make that much per visitor but I would pay several cents each.

Anybody else care to answer the questions?

16. princec

Indie Author

I certainly would pay 10 cents each, in fact, I already am. But then if I made a sale you wouldn't be getting the customer details. If you were an affiliate you'd get 30% of that one customer... but then the opportunity to sell a bunch more games to them in your next newsletter. And the next. And the next.. Etc. And that mechanism is nicely already understood by everyone and very easy to set up and monitor :)

17. lennard

Yep, but I'm interested in looking at monetizing my demo traffic and 10 cents a play means I'm running a low overhead virtual arcade.