"TIME: WASTELAND" (Final Fantasy / Zelda - style)

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by IamDaveh, Feb 2, 2016.

1. IamDaveh

IamDaveh New Member

I am working on an open world game in classic Final Fantasy Style with Puzzles like the ones you find in Zelda games. There are "Dark worlds" and time travel. The story is a bit fantasy-political, see plot and trailer.
    I am aiming for about 20 hour gameplay. There is perhaps 10 now.

Plot:

"The new government uses tax money to support the non working man.

The industry should shut down for a clean environment.
    No energy production is needed. 100% unemployment is their goal.
    With no factories and no workers, there would be no emission at all.
    The world shall be a place of enslaved humans under total control by the society.

You must decide what to do...
    The decisions you make will affect how the War begins and who will benefit from it.

Will you go back to change what have happened?

You change things in the Pre War time..
    ..they will affect the future....

Will you be able to stop the War.."

Would this be an intresting game?
    What do you think about the RPG-maker graphics, does it need its own style?

NO9 likes this.
  2. mach3000

mach3000 New Member

I don't mind the graphics. My problem is with the details of the main character (and maybe the story). Is there anything special about the main character? In most stories/movies/video games/anime there is something that sets the main character apart from the normal people. Or maybe there is a personal issue that drives the character (like revenge for death of family member) to change the unbalanced world. What impossible task must the main character perform to rebalance the world? If you can make people think.. "HOW is he/she going to do that?" ..then people will WANT to play the game/read the book/watch the show to figure out how for themselves. Just my opinion ;)

3. Byte

Byte New Member

I would recommend not using the RPG Maker RTP. You'll end up getting a lot of hate if you don't use original Graphics and Sound.

4. IamDaveh

IamDaveh New Member

Thank you for your feedback!

The main character is nothing special and can be changed. I have not really put any thought in to that.
    Would you rather have a "weak" main character and not this army-type-guy?

What is it that you (maybe) don't like about the story?
    Is it the whole thing? That can be hard to change, but I am glad to hear your opinion.

5. IamDaveh

IamDaveh New Member

So I have to use ONLY RPG Maker RTP or none?
    ..or what do mean by "original Graphics"? The game is by 99% made on RPG Maker MV-tiles (and some VX Ace).

I have thought about making my own tiles. The question is: Is it worth it? I imagine it would take a lot of extra time to make it look good and it probably won't look as good as the original graphic anyway. I do not have that much of my own graphics, so one way to go is to replace all with RPG Maker RTP.

6. Byte

Byte New Member

RTP is not original graphics. 80% of all RPG Maker games use it. They're boring and painful to sit through.

Using the RTP will honestly just flat out ruin any chance this game has of becoming something bigger than "Just another game" regardless of it's story. If you don't believe me, look at some of the RPG Maker games that use RTP on Greenlight and Steam (the ones on Steam used BOT accounts to get pass Greenlight.)

7. IamDaveh

IamDaveh New Member

I see. Thank you for that feedback.

By "original" graphic i thought you meant "original" as "default". A misunderstanding, sorry for that.
    So what you are saying is that I should make my game look unique..

I can surely do that, it will just take a lot more time but I am sure it will be worth it.
    I have seen all those RPG games and to be honest, most of them look really flat and I am instantly assuming they are boring.
    Perhaps I am a bit naive to assume people will see my game and think "oh that game must be better than all those other similar games".

Back to graphics, and thank you very much!

8. mach3000

mach3000 New Member

I think people want to see the main character change. So a weak main character that turns into a powerful one would work (lessons of persistance, making tough decisions in life). We go to the movies to see regular Peter Parker become Spiderman, Bruce become Batman, Tony become Iron, Luke become powerful. The person in the beginning of the game goes through a lot of challenges and becomes someone more stronger/smarter/wiser/softer (if it's a change of heart story) at the end.

They say "write what you know" and I don't know much bout government/politics/war so I can't help you much in that area. ;p

I've never made a game yet so I can't appreciate how much time it took for you to make the game and the trailer, but I'm sure it took alot of dedication to learn to do everything. Keep learning, keep going, have fun and "Fail Faster" (there's a youtube video on it). ;)

IamDaveh likes this.
  9. IamDaveh

IamDaveh New Member

That sounds like a really good idea. I had some plans to alter the character, like "level up" and get better gear and get skills depending on what you do. But that is more being technically getting stronger, not emotionally. BTW, those movie references are spoilers to some ;)

10. Remelic

Remelic New Member

I think that if you want to make this game set its own "mood", the you will inevitably have to create your own tileset and characters. Also according to the kind of game you are trying to create, using RPG Maker should be fine especially if it's a game you want to play. If you have any plans of marketing the game then you will need to write your own code and create your own artwork otherwise you will have to pay royalties. That's just my two cents.

11. IamDaveh

IamDaveh New Member

RPG maker should be fine even for commercial. They do not take royalties. I can use theirs or my tiles. The only reason to make my own tiles is to get a game with my own style. There is no reason to make my own game engine. That would be almost impossible to do by myself without infinite time.

I have kind of made my own RPG-game-engine. But that game is just text-based. It took about 100 hours to do.

12. Remelic

Remelic New Member

I guess I'm in the wrong forum because I thought this was a place for indie game programmers...

13. IamDaveh

IamDaveh New Member

Or perhaps I'm in the wrong place. Can one not be an indie game programmer And use software?
    There is a lot of AI to program and puzzles and events to program even if the game engine is not invented by the game developer.
    Where does the line go between a hard-core game programmer and a simple software-user?

I am genuinely interested to know your opinion!

As I said before. I am making my own game (this game) from scratch too. But that game is just text at the moment.
    My dream would be to develop this into a full graphical game. I am not yet there and I am sorry if this is not the place for me (yet).

EDIT: I found this line you wrote: "I've always written my engines from scratch only because that's the way I'm used to doing things. It helps to keep the line-count down and I have a complete understanding of what the code is doing."

That part is what drives me to write my own code. Sadly (as has been said before) I do not have the skills to make games with advanced graphics that way. I have made some games in Excel and Matlab. But those only have a matrix-cell with a number that makes the graphic. That can be used for simple games.

My text game is just text and A LOT OF "if/and/or" and variables written in .cmd. Now how do I combine that?

#13 IamDaveh, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  14. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

Sure. And only for those who do it in asembler or pure C at most ;).

No, really. Gamers really don't care what tool was used to deliver a great game. If it is good, then it is fantastic!

IamDaveh likes this.
  15. IamDaveh

IamDaveh New Member

He still has a point. A good game IS a good game no matter what. But it can never be a unique game.
    How many mobile game do we have that looks the same and how many RPG maker games?

Yes one can make an amazing mobil game or a RPG-maker game. But it is still just "another game".
    I can use my own tiles and sound and music anc characters. But the menu and battle? They will probably look about the same.
    That is why the game can never be unique but mere "another game".

I must say that Remelic has motivated me to actually make a game from totally scratch.

Remelic likes this.
  16. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

Oh, if you speak about GM exclusively then you are probably right. But there are other engines on the market now which leave much bigger degree of freedom to game author and not define or limit the game style uniqueness. I also liked to point that
    'game creator'==='programmer' is not the case since 20 years I think.

I don't know GM myself but from the opinions around and what you say I think you could consider to switching to another game engine.

17. IamDaveh

IamDaveh New Member

GM?

18. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

Sorry, I confused RPG Maker with Game Maker.

19. IamDaveh

IamDaveh New Member

Oh, Then your post makes sense again! haha

Anyway...Would you (or anyone else) happen to know a better game engine for making RPG games where the game developer gets more freedom and control?

20. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

:)

I think I cannot say anything that was said on this forum numerous of times that Unity seems a good choice as for begin with.