The Most Unsuccessful Indie Gme Author Here

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Lofus, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Lofus

Lofus New Member

Little intimidated here, everyone seems to be on top of there stuff. Guess I'll do an introduction here.

Anyways I'm Lofus, I've been on the lead in some role for 3 games that never got to see the light of day for one reason or another(thanks hi-rez). So I guess I'm experienced? I don't know. I'll be lurking around the forums whenever I feel like procrastinating from work.

Things I like in games:
    Crazy character development - I want to hate and love some characters in the same game
    Outrageous plot twists - I want to feel like I'm playing a whole new game when it happens

What am I doing now?
    Currently working on a story and engine for a new low budget project. I guess it could be costly if I wanted it to but for now it certainly is low budget. Gonna be kinda like a VN version of Transistor in gameplay and have no idea how to explain the story in a sentence. Socioeconomic commentary meets a dating sim? Who knows. Hopefully it's cool when its done, which I doubt will be in a year.

Need help on something?
    I do music, writing, level design, and programming. So hit me up if you want some ironic work done. Gonna resist the urge to tell people to peep my mixtape mane.

So yeah this is me. Probably should get back to writing the essay I was working on before this.

[​IMG]
    For those who love, time is eternal.

#1 Lofus, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  2. Lofus

Lofus New Member

God I am a legend at typos

3. TheBlenderMan

TheBlenderMan New Member

Well you sound like you have worked on more stuff then me :) The only games I have made were 2D python games.

4. Lofus

Lofus New Member

No shame in that. Pretty sure most started somewhere near there.

metateen and TheBlenderMan like this.
  5. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

Hmm, you got the interesting portfolio welcome to the site, we do like us some with levels like yours.

6. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Been doing game dev for 29 years until I quit last summer. I don't feel like I ever succeeded at it and the "this time next year we'll be millionaires" brand of optimism was starting to get a bit old. That was instrumental in my decision to call it quits. I haven't made it, and I lost the belief that I ever will so for me, there's no reason to continue.

My most successful game made probably around $60k, but that's just one game out of probably 20 or more, over the years.

On the flipside, I see games like Thomas Was Alone getting rave reviews and people carping on about how brilliant it is, and I just don't see it how everyone else sees it. I got pretty far into it but I gave up because of the monotony rather than the difficulty - it wasn't even that well written (i.e. you could jump and "land" on the sides of platforms). Gunpoint is another example - OK-ish game but completely lacking polish. The UI, for example, was a complete joke, and the dialog was terribly written.

Perhaps it's because I don't understand why these games do so well, and far better games just crash and burn, that I don't feel cut out for it any more. Does that make me a good game dev or a bad one? I don't think it does either. The above two examples are proof enough to me that success in this business is 99% luck. And I'm not a lucky person!

7. Sideroxylon

Sideroxylon New Member

It is not luck to be successful, but it is really bad luck to get your fate. Everything that requires you to be creative or something like a rockstar for example, means having luck but also a huge amount of skill, if you want to achieve it by yourself. Did you make contracts with publishers? It helps you to climb the ladder easily, if you really want to reach a higher goal.

8. DMATH

DMATH New Member

That's nothing

The only game I did was a clone of neon Kat and Minecraft it was called super space kitty and the music peaks the speakers and it only got 10 downloads.

It was a bad game

9. Byte

Byte New Member

Psh, the only game I ever finished is now sitting somewhere underground in my backyard.

It was trash.

Hopefully my current game will be better XD