The FBI close down MegaUpload...

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by jcottier, Jan 20, 2012.

1. gamer247

gamer247 New Member

There is an extradition agreement between NZ and USA , that is all there is. You will never ever prosecute some one in a country where they dont extradite their own citizens. Simple is that.

2. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

The law is an ass, as they say.

They may not be directly infringing copyright, but they're certainly facilitating and encouraging it, which is pretty much as bad in the eyes of anybody who gives half a toss about such things - if not worse, as without sites like that, pirated software would not be as widely distributed as it is. Back in the old days, those who ran pirate BBS sites used to get charged (on the odd occasion that it happened) with fraudulent use of electricity. Seems things haven't really moved on in the last 20 years since we seem to be having to invent new laws to catch up with it.

3. princec

Indie Author

I wonder if Anonymous realises TPTB have all the tools to do exactly the same to the sites they so love to frequent. In fact I do wonder why they haven't already started doing that.

Cas :)

4. Artinum

Original Member

Anonymous is a tricky one. It's often thought of as a single organisation, when it's nothing of the sort. There is no leadership in the group, just a crowd mentality. Someone has an idea (say, attack the Westborough Baptists) and a bunch of others get involved with it, but they do not represent the whole of Anonymous. None of them do (or can). So while I suspect there are activists in there trying to do some "good" and there are lunatics in there trying to just cause trouble, it's impossible to say who is who and very wrong to claim Anonymous is entirely one or the other. It's just too disenfranchised.

5. Desktop Gaming

Kim Dotcom denied bail

Quite right, too. You only have to look at the statements about his "multiple passports" to see what sort of villains run sites like this, and what the revenue is used for. I've done no end of takedown notices to megaupload and sites like it over the years, and I for one am glad to see the back of it. At least if he's tried in the US he's likely to get a hefty punishment, whereas if it were to happen in the UK he'd get, at worst, a £100 fine and 200 hours community service picking up crisp packets.

6. Applewood

+1

pointless filler text

7. USOApps

USOApps New Member

That is a good news of course! But the piracy will not fade away after this arrest. I am sure that another site will appeare soon to close this gap(((

8. Applewood

You obviously thought that my proposal to burn them was in jest. That would absolutely solve the problem given time.

Online piracy is seriously under recognised as a large scale crime. Usually because people like me espouse ignoring it as unfixable. However if every case of piracy was reported as often as minor theft stories appear on the local evening news, it would rapidly rise in the public psyche to be the most often committed offence costing millions and billions, not to just the odd shopkeeper but to thousands and millions of us developers.

I want the punishment to fit the scale of the crime. It's FAAAAAAAAAAAAAR from the victimless wheeze that outsiders see it as. Even I used to think otherwise until I came head on with it.

9. Desktop Gaming

More good news. Btjunkie, one of the major torrent sites, has shut down. Seems to have been a voluntary closure but whatever, it's all good.

10. Simon Tomlin

Simon Tomlin New Member

Here in the UK there has been some coverage of Dickens 200th birthday.

I was reading a BBC article about Dickens in the US and he hated the amount of piracy of his books.

Dickens in US complaining about piracy

They should have done something years ago

11. NikKot

NikKot New Member

12. Applewood

Remember where you heard it first :) http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/02/29/interpol-says-suspected-anonymous-hackers-arrested/