The 2006 2D Sprite Render Test

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by dxgame, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Pyabo

Original Member

Still waiting on those Torque2D numbers. :)

2. Screwball

Original Member

I'll try and do one up tonight.

Basically I'll try and get it 800x600x32, 50 Sprites to start with, Hit "A" to add 10 sprites, Hit "R" to remove 10 sprites and Hit "F" to show the FPS. If I get time I'll try and add some of the cool things that TGB comes stock standard with, like particle effects, physics and collision detection, but don't hold me to that :p

3. Screwball

Original Member

Ok here it is. A Adds sprites, R Removes Sprites. Debug banner is on with object totals and FPS as well as other info. Total code time 2 hours cause I am slow. I also hope that everything is cool from an EULA point of view, pretty sure I deleted all the uncompiled code.

Alt-Enter for Full Screen and Alt-F4 to quit if your mouse is dead.

Sprite Test - TGB App

EDIT - Forgot to mention on my machine with 2000+ Sprites I get about 100 - 150 FPS.

AMD 3400+
    Raedon x800
    4 GB RAM

#103 Screwball, Jul 12, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  4. dxgame

Original Member

Hi Screwball and thanks for the T2D test!

I had to edit the "pref.cs" file in the "preferences" folder to make it run at 800x600x32. ;)

First off the sprites flying around are 10x10. I'm assuming they're being scaled down at some point in the code. I don't know T2D script, but this is probably not a fair "apples to apples" test based on the other tests I have run.

On my standard test machine with 2000 sprites in the T2D demo, it is running at 20-25fps. I'm sure all that debug info is taking a hit as well. Anyway to turn it off?

I'd like to see an update where it runs in 800x600x32 with 32x32 sprites, and no debug info, just frame rate and number of sprites displayed. Is that possible?

5. Screwball

Original Member

I am fairly sure, without looking at the code, that I created the SceneWindow at 1024 x 768, so when I get home tonight I'll make that change.

TGB is a little different from programming in other languages. Everything in TGB is implemented in it's own, controlled world space. This allows TGB to effectively scale things up and down as a user's resolution changes internally so you never have to worry about it. Down side to this is you can't really get pixel perfect movement etc.

The debug banner is a simple on/off style function built into TGB so I am assuming I can rip the framerate and object variables out of that. I used the debug banner because it was a lot easier than actully displaying frame rate by itself. I'll try and set something up tonight to be a more accurate test.

6. Screwball

Original Member

I've update the zip fileand loaded it here:

Sprite Test

It was basicly too hard to try and rip those values out of the debug banner, and I'm not sure it's overhead is that great anyway. This version should be closer to 32x32 sprites at 800x600 res.

Edit- BTW 1 turns on debug banner, 2 turns off debug banner

#106 Screwball, Jul 14, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  7. KNau

Original Member

Did no one try a Flash version, just for laughs?

8. dxgame

Original Member

Just wanted to say a big thank you to all who participated in this thread!

And for making it the most viewed thread in this forum section. :D

9. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

This was a really great thread, so I stuck it. :)

10. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

He just coded it badly. It does have the ability to do both of those things. If he uploads the source I can adjust it to do both of those (I'm a user of Game Maker as well).

EDIT: His links seems to be dead as well.

If there's still enough interest, I can code my own GM version of this. But this looks like a pretty old thread so I don't know if anyone would care. Also, ALL of the links are now dead, so there's no real way to compare it anymore. It's too bad, because I'm curious how GM compares to the other engines.

11. crestiksa

crestiksa New Member

I have another question involving views. Is it possible to move the object sprite during the process of animation? For example in Colonels Bequest there are the Armoires that pull out but using the original graphics they do not fit properly To low after the first couple frames.

Thanks for any help provided, hope im not asking to many questions.

-Gargin-

12. paulaugust

paulaugust New Member

Are the sprites opaque , or translucent (alpha 0, 1, ... 254, 255)?

13. kaufenpreis

kaufenpreis New Member

I'm not clever enough to learn a new API now in my dotage. Seriously. My brain hurts.