test Platforms

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Adrian Lopez, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Adrian Lopez

Original Member

I've recently had to replace my Windows XP computer with one that for some reason refuses to run XP (OEM) off my old hard drive (even in safe mode). Though I'm going to attempt a reinstall, being without a Windows XP system has led me to wonder how the heck I'm supposed to make sure my software is compatible with an operating system I don't have access to. I know the answer is to either get a computer that will run it or to find somebody else who owns such a computer, but I'm curious to learn about how each of you approach this and for how many platforms do you do it.

Dropping Windows XP support is not an option at this point, though it may be in the future. I need to be able to test my software on Windows XP and am really pissed off at having to replace my old computer. How, then, do you deal with such things?

2. jcottier

jcottier New Member

I would NOT recommand installing XP on a new computer: the driver might not be available.
    Why don't you buy a second hand XP machine? Surely, you can find one for dead cheap.

JC

#2 jcottier, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  3. Henri Karapuu

Henri Karapuu New Member

Windows often does not "migrate" nicely to new box, changes are good you'll get XP running just fine by re-install.

If not, e.g. because the new box has hardware that is not supported by XP, then you may be able to run XP on that box through virtual machine (Microsoft Virtual PC etc) because those make the guest OS to run with different set of drivers and thus circumvent the problem.

If that fails, e.g. because your game doesn't run on virtual machines, then just get old second hand XP box, shouldn't cost much.

4. jcottier

jcottier New Member

soory, I mean NOT recommand... fixed in the original post.

5. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I used to have an old XP box for testing on, but its slowly been butchered as parts were needed for other machines. Now I use VMWare Fusion on Mac and run XP (and German XP) via that. However, if you insist on having a dedicated XP system to test on then its ridiculous to fork out for a modern system then bung a decade-old OS on it. Get on eBay and buy up an old system, and install XP on that. For example - THIS for £30.

6. rioka

rioka New Member

FYI: Some netbooks still have XP as their OS. Of course, the specs are much higher (RAM, HDD, etc) too...

7. Adrian Lopez

Original Member

Thank you all for your help. It's actually not a new computer and in fact used to run XP without any problems, but I wanted to get my system up and running without having to reinstall. I will attempt a reinstall once I back up all the data on my Windows partition, but I'm just not sure whether Microsoft will allow me to activate my OEM version of XP on this other computer.

Technical problems aside, what interests me most is to know is how each of you approach the task of testing your games on various platforms (not just specific operating systems but also specific hardware). Do you keep a bunch of systems on hand to do your testing or do you instead rely on beta tester feedback to determine which platforms to support and which parts of your code need adjusting?

8. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I use testers who have access to the systems I need to test on, which includes XP and Vista with a mix of Nvidia/ATI/Intel GPUs, and CPUs down to 1GHz. There's rarely anything system-specific that needs tweaking - aside from bug reports I mainly need to know A) If it works, and B) How well.

9. hanson

hanson New Member

I would think that a repair install would do the trick without needing to reinstall the whole thing if you have the OEM key.