Study: Casual games can help your mental health

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Game Designer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Game Designer

Original Member

#1 Game Designer, Mar 23, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  2. soniCron

Indie Author

Not quite sure how they make that assumption. Sure, brain excersizes help you as you age -- nothing new here. The part that gets me is that they're asserting casual games help mental health. The article mentions puzzle games as a leading contributor to mental health, but most casual games aren't actually puzzle games. We call them that -- god only knows why -- but the general consensus among successful casual developers is to make them as easy as possible. Not sure I see the correlation between making a game easy and flexing your brain... Anyone?

3. Sharpfish

Original Member

Yeah - casual games are being mixed up with puzzle games (again). Casual is based on a game activity with a mild challenge and easy rewards, easy to drop in and out of.. casually.

There is usually not a LOT of brain power being used in the best selling casual games I have seen. And conversely in some of the best puzzle games I've played there is a definite mental (or dexterity based) challenge and a heavy penalty if you mess up.

4. sparkyboy

Original Member

As Sonicron says, it certainly is true about exercise, whether it be mental or physical, ' Use it or lose it ' I think the expression goes.

So everybody should be jumping on the bandwagon.......I mean.....

' Feeling lethargic?, concentration waining? then forget the rest and play the best game in town.......and increase your brain power. Go on, we are all budding Einsteins ya know. ':p

I'd bet you a dime to a dollar, some dumbass somewhere would fall for some of that 'increase your intellect' blurb.;)

All the best

Mark.

5. dmikesell

Original Member

No surprise here. The best-selling movies are the ones that don't make you think or follow any kind of deep story. People want to be entertained in their downtime, they don't want to think (generally speaking).

6. oNyx

Original Member

Well, in most of the cases it should easily beat watching tv ;)

Planned chaining often needs a lot of thinking tho, but in most match-3 games you usually get enough satisfaction through accidential chains. So, most people wont even try to plan those things.

Logic maze games for example usually require a lot of thinking (and zero dexterity/reflexes). Its a pretty interesting genre in theory, but its pretty hard to come up with something interesting there. The reference title is imo "Theseus and the Minotaur" (eg Mummy Maze over at popcap).

Thinking is actually pretty entertaining... as long as you arent painfully aware of the requirement.