Strategy game's users actions synchronization

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by alexoy, Jan 8, 2017.

1. alexoy

alexoy New Member

Hello,

I'm creating a strategy game (something like turn based) where the world potentially can be very big. I'm interested in how player's actions typically are being synchronized?

Users have limited screens, bigger or smaller. Ofcourse you can move the area, but it is too big in total.

• If I'll send any player's actions to all players every time - I expect problems with time delays/lagging and network communication. Moreover I don't need that - I still can see a limited area only, so I'm no interested in something that happens 100km far away.

• If I'll broadcast to the nearest 10m only (for example) - still can be problems for different users - somebody on mobile has too small screen, he can see only nearest 1-2m, for example; For other users with very big screens 10m is absolutely not enough and they want more.

• If I want a visible distance be dynamic - I have to store all users screen sizes on the server side somehow. Then to send the actions to the users who are able to see that. But this sounds difficult.
    What are the optimal solutions for this task? I'm interested in high performance from users point of view, and I want to minimize time delays and network communications.

Thanks!

2. alexoy

alexoy New Member

Question is what actions to what users need to be sent?! Single user doesn't need to get data about all existing users.

For example I make a move - my game-neighbor must see it, so he gets this info from network. But somebody very far away is not interested in this info, so server probably shouldn't send this info to him. But then again problems with different screen sizes (what exactly is "too far away"?!), as I described in the main question