Steam sale = ---£

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by zoombapup, Jan 1, 2011.

1. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Ok, I bought about 40 ish games in the steam sale. One day left to go. So lets hope it goes out with a bang :)

The whole idea of "whales" who will buy lots of stuff even if they dont mean to is very much in evidence here.

2. James Dean

James Dean New Member

I think there is more of a chance of developing an addiction to buying games on Steam rather than playing them :)

3. Grey Alien

Indie Author

I would like to do a survey to find out the total value of UNPLAYED games (and DLC) that are sitting in people's Steam accounts. Although it would be a pain to put a $ value on each game without looking it up online. My own account has 20 games/DLCs I actually plan to play. I've excluded games that came with packs that are duplicates of already played games or that I don't plan to play. Assuming I bought all the games for $5 to $10 (I very very rarely spend more), then that's $100-$200 of "cash flow" I've given Steam. I've also got a bunch on unplayed console and PC games sitting in a drawer, and a couple of unplayed GOGs. The problem is if you wait too long to play the games, they often can look crappy and out of date, as I discovered when trying to play Myst recently.

4. Grey Alien

Indie Author

5. Jack Norton

Indie Author

The only game I bought from the christmas sale on steam was batman:arkham asylum. Honestly all the other games on sale weren't interesting.
    I wanted also settlers 7, but at 25 eur is "too much" (just 4 years ago I would have bought it even at 40, but now thanks to steam I've learned to wait since sooner or later it will be on sale for under 10 eur).

6. zoombapup

Settlers 7 is on sale right now. 10 quid. So I guess 14-15 euros?

The downside is the silly ubisoft DRM, which is why I didnt buy it.

7. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Man, that was before the pound went into the loo. It is only worth 11.66 euros as today exchange rate :[
    I wish I converted all my pounds when it was worth 15 euros....

JC

8. zoombapup

Really? I thought the euro was in the toilet worse (greece/ireland/portugal/spain etc).

9. Grey Alien

Indie Author

The value of the Pound currently disgusts me, mind you it's a great time to make money in Dollars and pay off my mortgage in the UK. This is currently wishful thinking though as I don't have any spare money.

10. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Steam loves EU people, so is 24.99 eur instead! They always have the highest prices in euro. ie. games on sale for $5 in US, are 9 eur in EU. Who knows, maybe they have broken currency converters? :D

11. zoombapup

Jack: settlers 2 is on sale right now. On the front page of the store, for 9.99 uk, so I guess 12 euros. Maybe you looked before?

12. Stefan Maton

Original Member

I've currently linked 198 games to my steam account. Yes... I'm a collector even though it's not coming in boxes. In my cellar, I've another 300 boxed games starting with the first game I ever bought (Transformers for the C-64).

Of those 198 games ~70 are indie games such as And Yet It Moves, Mr. Robot, Bob Came in Pieces, etc. Although I cannot play all those games, I make most of my (indie game) purchases to support the developers. Having been a professional game developer for ages (and struggling to find my indie path), it seems to me to be a good way to say thank you to all developers who take the risk to develop games that are not main stream.

13. defanual

Original Member

I'm at risk of doing that with gog.com, I think it's a combination of prices, game extras (soundtrack, art, comics etc, sort of like collectors editions), non-drm, the wish list, low disk space requirements and that damn awesome virtual shelf :D

14. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes, front page. Here I see 24.99 euros. Can post a screenshot if you want! That's why I didn't buy it, don't think is fair to charge so much vs other countries...!

15. electronicStar

Original Member

I have the same collection of unfinished games, although it's a pile of coverdisk CDs rather than a virtual account.
    I don't have Steam because I don't enjoy being f*cked in the *ss just because I pay in euro (f*ck Steam).

16. cyodine

Original Member

35 indie games for $35. I almost feel guilty.

17. Grey Alien

Indie Author

That's quite the collection. I have also kept every game I've bought and have an almost complete history of every decent FPS from Doom to somewhere past Quake 3 in giant old-skool boxes that I had to have a special shelving unit for (tried in vain to find a photo). I was very much relieved when games changed to those new DVD cases! Also I have a ton of console games on another shelving unit. So yeah as mentioned by defanual that virtual shelf filled with cool games is very appealing.

18. Michael Flad

Indie Author

Hello, my name is Michael, and I'm an addict :)

I used to buy lots of retail games I never was able to play for a reasonable amount of time (in some cases after years, when decluttering my gameshelves, I noticed games I didn't even install once, let alone play :)) but nowadays it's at least a cheap "drug" :)

There are so many great games on Steam and I honestly can't pass a decent sale - even less on all kinds of great indie games due to a) I know indie developers need the money and b) I know the games are usually not *that* big and there's at least a chance to finish them.

Just recently I had lots of fun with Swords & Soldiers :)

19. zoombapup

A friend of mine on IRC the other day said he was doing an intervention as I was buying so many games.

I am buying games that relate to the game I'm making at least. For instance I bought mirrors edge not to play, but to study the city rendering (which is geeky/fascinating to me). I bought deus ex to study the UI and stealth/mod stuff, I bought most of the stealth type games for the same reason.

I bought plenty of FPS games, because I like em and because I want to look at the combat gameplay. Plus the UI stuff.

I bought strategy games for the metamap UI :)

Ok, I'm at least partially telling the truth. Mostly.

20. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I do that all the time, although I think I have enough to study for now :) This Steam sale I grabbed two games- Archon Classic and Lara Croft's latest. Archon Classic is as indie as you can get, with the trademark default Particle Illusion effects and Poser-like character renderings. However, it does justice to the gameplay of the original.

Guardian of Light is the best example of guilty pleasure gaming I've seen in some time. It seems wrong paying as little as I did for it, as it's great fun. The art in it is amazing.